Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Any Bali Cheap Eats Suggestions (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/any-bali-cheap-eats-suggestions-809086/)

Man_With_No_Name Oct 5th, 2009 08:02 PM

Any Bali Cheap Eats Suggestions

Can anyone suggest any dinner places to eat (that they safely survived) where we can enjoy good local food at local prices in the Kuta/Tuban area?

We (4 adults with reasonably good stomaches) are staying at Santika Hotel in Tuban.

MichaelBKK Oct 5th, 2009 09:44 PM

Food is pretty cheap in Bali. I've rarely spent more than $4 or $5 for a meal. I stay in that area a lot when I'm in Bali on business (I've stayed at the Santika, which is rather nice) and there aren't a lot of local restaurants around. Batan Waru, up next to the Discovery mall, used to be quite good, but it's rather expensive ($3 for mee goreng) and the last few times I've been there the quality wasn't good.

There's a couple of big seafood places up near Kuta Square. They get lots of customers but I don't know if they're any good. I can't think of a good place for local food in that area. The Mexican food at Chi-Chi's is passable, and there's a good Thai cafe at the back of Discovery Mall that's good for a sunset meal.

traverser Oct 6th, 2009 03:18 AM

Agree with previous posters re budget and etc...you need to be more specific...

budget is quite subjective. e.g. my idea of cheap and my husband's idea of cheap is VERY different!

rhkkmk Oct 6th, 2009 05:38 AM

food is unbelievably cheap....think filet mignon for $8 in ubud at a really nice place....or rice mix for a fraction of that

Man_With_No_Name Oct 6th, 2009 04:52 PM

Thanks MichaelBKK.

Thanks traverser, I only put CHEAP in the topic as it is a common expression used for non-hotel level prices.

Thanks rhkkmk - do you have any suggestions for places to eat in the TUBAN/KUTA area.

MichaelBKK Oct 6th, 2009 06:25 PM

There are a lot of choices along the road heading up from the Santika to the main Kuta area. Some are attached to hotels, but you can check the menu before deciding where to eat. Up past Kuta Square, there are a number of good places in Poppies Lane. There's Poppies of course, as well as TJ's which is the best Mexican in Kuta. My favorite restaurant is up near Seminyak, called Made's Warung. It's very famous but the food there is great. It's not that expensive, either.

citywalks Oct 9th, 2009 12:23 PM

Not exactly where you're staying but I highly recommend the Kreneng night market in Denpasar/Sanur area for the local specialty: babi gooling (roast pork).

babymocca Nov 26th, 2009 02:58 AM

Warung Ibu Oka has the best roast pork ever… Im not sure about the location
Last time we went there our driver took us there…try google it!

It's pretty cheap to hire a car with driver in Bali…and the driver pretty much like your personal assistant
They'll book restaurant for you, they are your private tour guide…just ask them what you want, they will organize for you

Last time we asked for a good but cheap massage place…the driver offered us few places and we pick one, then he made the appointment for us

Their typical working hour is 8am to 6pm, but our driver was always staying back for us…and he never asked for overtime. I think that's pretty normal…since 6pm is way too early to go back to the hotel