Need Itinerary Advice Please!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 11:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Japan in a few weeks and have yet to set our trip. Yikes!

We land on the 29th of August in the evening, and were considering taking the train to Kyoto. Then spending the 29th and 30th in Kyoto, and going to Tokyo on the 31st - 3rd. We have businnes in Tokyo the 2nd and 3rd.

We were considering climbing Mt Fuji the night of the 31st.

Any thoughts? Is Kyoto the thing to do for the first 2 days? Or is there something else you would suggest?
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 09:22 AM

Hi diannap-
I just returned from Japan the end of June, and I would definitely suggest Kyoto! It is so full of culture and history. If you take the train, be sure to get on the Nozomi or Hikari Shinkansen (bullet train) as the other Kodama Shinkansen makes many stops and will take you longer to get to Kyoto. It usually takes about 2 hours on the Hikari and Nozomi (however, if you have a JR Pass, it is not redeemable for the Nozomi trains).

About Mt. Fuji, if you really want to climb it, go ahead, but in my opinion I would much rather spend my time exploring Tokyo, Yokohama or Hakone. I would even much rather head down to Kamakura and see the 2nd largest Buddha in existence. But, thats just my opinion.

Definitely get to Kyoto. And, while there, be sure to check out the Gion District (Geishas), Nijo Castle (nightingale floorboards), Kiyomizudera (great views overlooking the city, but long walk up steep hill), and Kinkakuji (Temple of the Golden Pavillion). Get in as much as you can, I regret not doing more eventhough I had 2 weeks there. I also liked to take the buses. They are surprisingly easy, and its a great and cheap way to get around. There are buses that go everywhere and it really gets you close with the people. If you want any information, I would definitely check out Frommer's Japan book. It helped me out so much!!!
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 11:38 AM

I just spent 2 weeks in Kyoto and only saw a teeny bit of what the city has to offer. It's incredible! Stick to Kyoto and Tokyo -- there's more than enough to do. And the weather at this time of year may not be great for mountain climbing. Save it for another trip and add the day to kyoto.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 05:12 PM

About Mt. Fuji:
Trust you have read about climbing the mountain. If not, suggest that you do.

Perhaps you are going on the "night" climb, to see sunrise at the summit.

I made the climb during the day. 12 hours total (up and back) counting time at the top. Of course you can do better than that, but it is still 4 1/2 hrs. up and 2- 21/2hrs down.

I loved it....but it was long and trying.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.... I am torn about the Mt. Fuji part. Its something I really want to do, just to say I've done it. But at the same time, I feel unsure about the weather and it being about the time the Mountain shuts down. I also agree that it does take a lot of time away from our only 6 days in Japan...

What to do....

Old Aug 7th, 2004, 03:36 AM

I would suggest you wait until the 30th and see what the weather will be like before you make a decision on the Mt. Fuji. If the weather cooperates, and you really want to do it, then go. Have a back up plan if you don't. I agree with everyone else, especially being such a short trip--that taking in the beauty of Kyoto is time well spent. I would even try to take a day tour down to the Mikimoto Pearl Island, Hiroshima, or the Inland Sea.