Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Antimalarial meds for India? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/antimalarial-meds-for-india-1647925/)

pasqualino Feb 2nd, 2018 03:15 PM

Antimalarial meds for India?

I will be traveling to Delhi, Shekawati, Jaipur, Agra, Orccha,Khajuraho, and Varanasi in mid February for two weeks. I was surprised that my travel / infectious disease doctor (who is herself Indian) recommended prophylactic anti-malarial meds. I thought because I’d be on the tourist trail and more so that it will be the dry season, I won’t need to take these. Just curious, did you take anti-malarial meds? (Of course, I’ll head the advice to wear long sleeves and pants, and use DEET spray.) Thanks!

MmePerdu Feb 2nd, 2018 03:28 PM

If it's a travel clinic, they're notorious for over-prescribing/advising patients take meds which they supply at big mark-ups. I've had the experience myself. I'd recommend you do your own homework, consult cdc site: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destina...ler/none/india and other like WHO: WHO | World Health Organization and make up your own mind. I've taken malaria meds on some trips, not on others. Decide for yourself.

jacketwatch Feb 2nd, 2018 04:46 PM

Yes, always. You can check the CDC website if you like.

crosscheck Feb 2nd, 2018 05:56 PM

We went to almost exactly the same places - Delhi, Varanasi, Khajuraho, Orccha, Agra and also Udaipur - several years ago in late September. Our travel doc prescribed Malarone for the five-day period that we were in Varanasi, Khajuraho and Orccha, but not the other cities. (We were on a road trip during mosquito season so that might have been a factor.) I would check with a physician for an updated malaria map.

thursdaysd Feb 2nd, 2018 06:02 PM

According to the CDC all of India below 2,000 meters is a malaria risk area. The risk for travelers is moderate. I am a mosquito magnet, so I consider "moderate" to mean I should take precautions, which in my case is Malarone.

If you prefer a non-US viewpoint, the UK NHS concurs, see: India - Fit For Travel

burta Feb 3rd, 2018 11:16 PM

My husband and I will also be in India in mid-February. We are both taking anti-malaria medication. He is taking his once a week. I will be taking mine once a day, beginning two days before entering India and continuing for a week afterwards. My doctor said that the difference is that the weekly dose has more possible side effects, so I opted for the less convenient dose.

pasqualino Feb 4th, 2018 02:00 PM

Thanks for sharing. I guess I will take Malarone. (Mine was prescribed like yours, burta, starting two days prior and continuing for a week afterwards.)

burta Feb 6th, 2018 03:23 PM

We'll be in India in a week, so my husband started the "once a week" pill today. It wiped him out. Gave him a headache too, even though he took it with a lot of water. I'm hoping that the once daily pills are effective, but less powerful. If so, it's worth the hassle to take them daily.

jacketwatch Feb 7th, 2018 05:46 AM

Was that med lariam that wiped him out?

burta Feb 7th, 2018 11:09 PM

Mefloquine HCL

CaliNurse Feb 8th, 2018 10:38 AM

Burta, Mefloquine is generic Lariam. I suspect my RN Brother Jacketwatch asked because we are aware of Lariam's reputation for unpleasant neurological side effects. The British military, and our US military (they were considering its prohibition ) have banned its use.
On a personal note, I react badly to Malarone (the daily one) --makes me crazed/hyper as if od'd on caffeine. So unpleasant, it nearly ruined one trip, 'til i stopped taking. Hope you havent had that reaction. I now rely on effective mosquito repellents and effective ,fingers-crossed, luck.

Kathie Feb 8th, 2018 10:53 AM

Relatively few people have bad reactions to Malarone, although some do. (Sorry you are one of them CaliNurse) Bad reactions to Larium (Mefloquine are quite common.

In any case, a good mosquito repellant is a must - there are a number of diseases carried by mosquitos, like dengue, for which there is no preventive medication.

jacketwatch Feb 8th, 2018 10:55 AM

Thanks Cali sister and yes that is the reason I asked. You know my wife and I and even my son have taken Lariam with absolutely no side effects whatsoever though it is very clear that many have had significant side effects especially in terms of neurological and psychiatric manifestations. I did not know that it was banned by the British and United States military. But I suppose that makes a great deal of sense in that our troops could very well be in a stressful situation to begin with and there is absolutely no need to have them exposed to something that could make it worse.

thursdaysd Feb 8th, 2018 12:17 PM

Pity about the Malarone, CaliNurse. I can take that with no issues even though I often get side effects to drugs others can take easily, but Lariam made me paranoid and gave me nightmares - and it only took one pill.