Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Another I couldn't resist the United Flight Sale --- I'm going to Singapore next week...help me on the itinerary!

Another I couldn't resist the United Flight Sale --- I'm going to Singapore next week...help me on the itinerary!

Apr 21st, 2005, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

I just saw the Japan post so I'm glad to see other Fodorites are just as impulsive! I've bought last minute tickets into Singapore, leaving next week. We arrive Fri April 29th- and leave Tuesday May 10th. We have 11 nights and now need an itinerary!

We have travelled extensively in Africa and elsewhere and my husband has travelled through China but we haven't seen alot of SE Asia. We've been to Bali (and frankly I'm tempted by 4/5 nights in Ubud) and most recently India (Nov/Dec) but never to Thailand.

We intend to go back for a longer trip but I just couldn't resist less than $550 including tax from SFO-SIN!

We'd like to combine some relaxing with some culture.

I'm thinking of;
Singapore 2 nights (because our flight lands at 11:30pm)

Thailand on the beach 4 nights (Phuket, Koh Samui or around Krabi?)

Bangkok 4 nights--- I'm thinking of Priceline as this entire trip is "extra"--however hotel prices seem astonishingly reasonable.

Singapore one night to make the early (7:30am) flight out on May 10th.

However, my husband is interested in Penang and Langkawi as a lower key alternative.

Please let me know your thoughts and advice.

Many thanks.
Apr 21st, 2005, 09:59 AM

If you don't mind booking 'fixed you can take a look at the Budget airlines operating out of Singapore to Phuket and Bangkok, but watch the weather in Phuket as rains should be starting soon, but even so you can still enjoy. Tiger Airways and Thai Air Asia do the SIN to Phuket route, from bangkok to Koh Samui you have the problem that it is 'only' Bangkok Airways and they tend to be quite expensive, especially as the only carrier on the route.
OPersonaly I would look at the websites and if you find an absolute bargain just grab it. You can get a/c 2 star clean nice with Pool on Phuket from around $30 at the moment, ok, not luxury but ok for a vacation place to sleep, breakfast and swim. For inespensive places on Phuket try www.patong-beach-hotels.com, you might need $60-80 for a good hotel but like I say, you can find cheap and nice for half that. The "Old Phuket Hotel" close to Karon beach is actually quite new and good value though the pool is rooftop, Karon Whale is about 5 minutes walk to the beach at Karon but should be in the $30 region for 2 all-in.

www.airasia.com
www.tigerairways.com

Also check the Silk Air site, they are a division of Singapore Airtlines and a full service carriers, twice daily SIN to Phuket, they often too have amazing deals on their website.

www.silkair.com
Apr 21st, 2005, 10:23 AM

i will push my usual--- the marriott resort and spa in bkk...try www.huahin.20m.com for what ever res you want in thailand....scroll down to "other thailand locations" and click top box for drop down to other locations...

priceline is now generally offering the holiday inn silom for about $40-45 plus or the westin on sukhumvit for about $75....both are good locations...the westin is a much better hotel...at the HI you can upgrade for $24 nite which is worth the extra $$ imo...i have looked at the rooms and they are about the same except for the mattresses and the use of the lounge in exec.....someone reported an upgrade automatically for being a member of HI FF program????

i prefer the river locations especially for your first time....the sheraton orchid sometimes has special weekend deals for seniors (AARP rate) at about $75---check their web site---starwoods.com......

tons to do in bkk....koh samui is a good location for a beach time....peace resort at bophut beach was fantastic....we had beachfront bungalow....great inexpensive restaurant....

lots of deals on phuket at the moment as well

lucky you!!!!
Apr 21st, 2005, 10:34 AM

Dear welltraveledbrit,
I envy you and the last minute deal you've landed.
I just got back from a 6 day trip to Singapore (initially intended Malaysia too) - I've got a string going in this chat room. Check out "need advice on Malaysia and Singapore". I just posted my own report on my travel yesterday 4/20/05 at 5:11pm ET. Check it out. There's some good stuff on Singapore including things to do and hotels. Don't want to repeat the whole thing here.

Let me know if you have questions. Have fun.
Apr 21st, 2005, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the advice and enthusiasm! I greatly appreciate it. The airline info is particularly helpful.

I'm thinking of the JW Marriot in Phuket which is a steal on Priceline...often under $70..I was hoping the weather might be OK as it is onlythe first 4 days in May. I went to Bali during the rains and frankly it didn't dampen (UGHH) our enthusiasm!

I'll definately check out the Marriot...I wish it was still around on PL but I'll check out the rates at the website you suggest.

Many thanks!
Apr 21st, 2005, 11:59 AM

Look at my post under,"Mother and Teen...Where should I go?" I just wrote a lot about Singapore. Happy Travels!
Apr 21st, 2005, 06:38 PM

fairlywelltraveledbrit---i have a res for the jw marriott at phuket for june...would love your impressions when you return

bob