Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Another Hong Kong Hotel Question! (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/another-hong-kong-hotel-question-425536/)

TracyB Apr 24th, 2004 09:30 PM

Another Hong Kong Hotel Question!

Well, I am down to the wire...A room is being helf for us at the Kowloon Hotel and the Eaton Hotel...I must call in my visa number to one of the 2 within the next few days...The Eaton Hotel is HKD846 per night for a Club Deluxe Room including Buffet Breakfast...The Kowloon is HKD1110 for a standard room including breakfast...My gut says to take the Eaton...I am sure I have emailed every hotel in Hong Kong in the last month!! Some of the prices are outrageous...Which would you chose?..Thanks.

Andrea_expat Apr 25th, 2004 03:39 AM

If you do a search for Eaton, you'll find a long debate; some people like the location because it's "real" Hong Kong, others (including me) prefer the Kowloon's location because it's close to the MTR, ferry, and general bustling TST area. Both hotels seem to get the same level of positive reviews otherwise - I think you'll be happy with either one. Good luck!

TracyB Apr 25th, 2004 04:10 PM

What about the Salibury YMCA, that has also now become a choice?? Our minds were made up on the Eaton, and then I got an email from the YMCA stating they now have availablility for our dates...So now I am really confused!!

rhkkmk Apr 25th, 2004 04:56 PM

i have stayed at both the kowloon and the y....we like both...the location is essentially the same...i think the room at the y was nicer quite honestly....we had a really small room at the kowloon but it was part of a cheap tour which may have accounted for that....we did like the kowloon however....

my inclination would be to go for the Y....rooms are decent and the location is excellent...

i have noted the discussions about the eaton and am slightly scared of its location...no scared is not the correct term...its really uncertainess....

i love being near the ferry....you can easily visit the areas around the eaton and should but i would rather be in the thick of tourist activity, which means being near the peninsula....

christo Apr 25th, 2004 06:48 PM

The Kowloon is a very good hotel,(owned by the Peninsula Hotel in front of it). Yes the rooms are not large but they are very efficient and adequate. Its location is great too.
Bon Voyage.

TracyB Apr 25th, 2004 08:42 PM

My mind is finally made up...I have been looking at every moderately priced hotel in HKG for the last few months, and we have decided that the Salisbury YMCA Harbour View is what we will book!! I have not read even 1 bad review on this hotel .Thanks to everyone who has answered me!!

clevelandbrown Apr 26th, 2004 07:17 AM

If you are staying a week or more, look into the long term rates available at the YMCA. They also have a good discount at the 4th floor restaurant if you are staying there. We had a partial harbor view room and it was very satisfactory.

shahnm77 Apr 27th, 2004 06:32 AM

I just saw that you decided to go with the YMCA...I just got back from Hong Kong and stayed at the Eaton. Although the hotel was pretty decent for the price. I was a little disappointed with the concierge. It seemed like they didn't know much. He suggested some places in Hong Kong Island, but wasn't 100% sure, b/c he's never been there!

TracyB Apr 27th, 2004 05:10 PM

Yes, we booked the Salisbury YMCA...I actually booked the Eaton first and was totally convinced that we would love it there...But then I got an email from the Y and that is where we wanted to stay in the first place....A few months ago, when I started the process of looking for hotels, the YMCA did not have prices out for November, so I basically just forgot about them...But just before I was going to call the Eaton with my visa number, I got an email from YMCA with the prices for November...It is quite abit more expensive than the Eaton, but we booked a harbour view room, and realistically, because we are only staying 4 nights, the price difference is only about 100.00, so it really isn't a big deal..We are stopping in HKG on the way back from a 2 week tour of India and Nepal and want to veg out for a few days before we head back to Canada...