Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

annah or others--bkk travel agent needed

Jun 21st, 2005, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

I have posted elsewhere, but perhaps this is better: anna h mentioned vsp travel-- could you give me a way to contact? Anyone else have a suggestion for a travel agent in Bangkok?
Jun 21st, 2005, 11:07 AM

What do you need a travel agent for? I'm asking because different agents (or websites) are good for different things. I know Bob has an agent he likes for airfares within Asia. Many of us prefer to use internet booking sites for hotels. For arranging tours, always wait until you are in the country, as otherwise you'll way overpay.
Jun 21st, 2005, 11:44 AM

Here's the E-mail address for Mol at VSP Travel:
[email protected]
There is no official website.
VSP Travel is located in the Ambassador Hotel in Bangkok in the Sukumvit area.
Mol set up the Chaing Mai elephant, ox and raft ride tour for us in the past.
She also set up flights for us from BKK to Chaing Rai, Laos, Vietnam and return to BKK. The rates were reasonable.
You could e-mail Mol and ask about the price for the Chaing Mai tour - the cost was reasonable. Do a search on the Board re travel agent in BKK for other recommendations.

Jun 21st, 2005, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Kathie--

I may HAVE to overpay because I must get from Bangkok to Phuket in order to meet a boat! But why would I overpay? You kids are all great for all the advice.
Jun 21st, 2005, 12:30 PM
e_t

Thai Airways publishes their domestic airfare on their website. At best any agent can do it a few % off.

Jun 21st, 2005, 04:33 PM

You don't need a Bangkok agent to book a flight to Phuket, the flight fares are pretty much fixed and as the commission is a pitance most are not interested in knocking of a couple of bucks, if you are flying from bangkok to Phuket to meet a boat best bet is to use Thai Airways, 12 to 14 flights per day, all wide bodied Airbus/777/747-400 so lots of seats. There 'are' other airlines but if you are on a very fixed schedule the great thing about Thai is that you havre the absolute minimal chance of any delay as they have plenty of back up aircraft etc etc.

The standard return fare coch is roughly USD 135, Business class is not much more.
We don't know which country you are from but if it's the US or Europe or Oz you can find the local number and call Thai direct, give them your cc number and they mail the ticket. But just as easy is any local travel agent who can issue United Tickets ( guessing here you are US based ) can print you a Thai ticket, they are both part of Star Alliance, just to speed things along if the agent is looking for the code for Phuket note it is HKT, so they just type in Thai (code:TG ) and then BKK to HKT and they will come up with all the flights, pay them with card or cash, they can hand over the printed tivcket there and then. Easy.

You can also do online e-ticket with Thai I think but you might just as well go into any local agent for United and do it there and then.

Other airlines'do' operate the route and if you need to reduce the price there are also 2 budget carriers who you can book online, but any mechanical delay or whatever, for a fixed schedule stick with Thai and again, easy from any T/A localy who is an agent for United can do it.

Are you joining a cruise?
Jun 21st, 2005, 04:37 PM

Just to note there are only 2 types of Coch fare with Thai, Y is valid for 1 year and M is valid for either 3 or 6 months, I think you save about 10 bucks with the M fare. That ticket is flexible and even when issued should you need to change flight time it should be at no coast at all, Thai are excellent in that way. The flying time is 1 hr 20 minutes, usually a little less. Only real busy flight are the very early ones as they connect passengers arriving around dawn from Europe and Oz. If you can manage the 'little' extra for Business Class you get the lounge use and nice comfy seats, and you also earn Star Alliance (e.g United ) miles on both types of fare.
Jun 21st, 2005, 08:16 PM

i like eddie at sea tours in bkk....james suggested him to me a couple of years ago....his prices on the whole have been fantastic, especially from thailand to other asian places...

[email protected]
Jun 22nd, 2005, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for your helpful responses. The reason that I need an agent is that very few hotels and airlines (air asia) are offering anything past Oct. 31 on their web sites. I am not going on a cruise--- I am completing a tour with OAT and then going to Phuket to get on a 4 day scuba cruise. I do have two days between the end of the tour and the start of the boat trip, but I would like to be in Phuket for those days. It is not that I expect to save money by using an agent, it's just that the agent should be able to get info. for the month of Nov. I also have to get back to Bkk to catch my flight home. the scuba trip ends on a Thursday- I cannot fly the next day and then my plane leaves Sunday in the early AM for New York and then home.

I guess I still don't understand why I would pay less if I waited until I got to Bkk?
Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:09 AM

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear in my posting. I said that for TOURS always wait until you are in-country or you'll overpay. Tours are priced very high on the internet, a fraction of teh price in country. For aur within Thailand, you can buy yourself on the internet. For intra-asia air a BK agent would likely do better for you.

You'll do better booking hotels on the interent. Even if Nov rates aren't posted yet, any of the companies will get you a requeated rate (I do that all the time with asiahotels)