Reload this Page >

Andaman Sea vs. Gulf of Thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Map

Hi,<BR><BR>I've heard that the Gulf side is nicer than the Andaman side because it's less developed; so if that's true, then Ko Samui will be nicer than Phuket or Krabi. Has anyone heard that? Is it true?<BR><BR>Map

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 05:51 PM
Stephen

The Andaman side is AWESOME! Phuket is ghastly. Souvenir shops, hideous development, high prices, drunk people. The best most awesome thing I've even seen in the world are the islands in PHang Nga bay between PHuket and the mainland. Massive jungled limestone crags, clear green water, wildlife, deserted beaches. Contact John Grey SEa Canoe -- they have a website -- and do the 3 day sea kayak tour. AWesome food, wonderful commited guides, sites of unforgettable pristine beauty. It's very easy kayaking, a comfortable boat takes you from place to place, and you are very well taken care of. If you're not into that, try any of the resorts on West Railey BEach, near Krabi. The beach there, and the Laem Phra Nang, ten minute walk away, are picture postcard perfect: cliffs, caves, clear jade-colored water. Then there are the islands around Trang, if you like that desert island feeling. Koh Ngai has only a copule of resorts, wonderful snorkeling, emerald water. Koh Kradan and Koh Mook are equally beautiful, with amazing coral and fish, friendly people, low prices. Also the city of Trang, which you go thorugh to get there, is very interesting, great food, completely untouristed. I just came back last week and these places were everything I wanted them to be.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 11:10 PM
Jill

Phuket has many different beaches, to say it is all built up and crowded is simply incorrect. If you want remote and desolate beaches they can be found all over the coasts of Thailand, but desolate can mean exactly that. Surin beach on Phuket is lovely. Railey beach near Krabi was also great. We did not like Koh Samui that much. Phuket has more to offer in the way of excursions and other things to do.