Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Anantara Riverside - Advice on room location (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/anantara-riverside-advice-on-room-location-1031144/)

crellston Nov 30th, 2014 12:18 AM

Anantara Riverside - Advice on room location

My inlaws are joining us in Bangkok to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary.. I have booked rooms at the Anantara but have read a few reports recently on TA about building works going on in the vicinity. Hopefully these will be finished by the time we get there in March but wondered if anybody could advise on where these works are being carried out, and where best to request a room to avoid any disruption e.g. River side, land side, upper or lower floors etc.

Any Help, suggestions would be much appreciated.

rhkkmk Nov 30th, 2014 07:12 AM

clive, the former mini mall in front of the hotel has been torn down. it will be replaced by a new mall and a new concept hotel. that is an ongoing project which certainly will NOT be finished by march, '15.

we were last there in October, '14. the noise from that construction was almost unnoticeable, but what we did hear was some noise from the renovations in the hotel's main building and the upriver building. I believe that is to conclude about now.

my guess is that most of what will go on from now will largely be interior finishing work. they have shielded the works on the ground level by a solid metal shield fence.

you should have no problems.

the rooms have been beautifully reconfigured. we especially like the walk in showers.

the Italian restaurant is very good btw... cheap if you just have pizza, but I'm sure you brits need a "proper meal" which means no pizza.

btw, we are off to England tomorrow for 2 weeks.

bob

crellston Nov 30th, 2014 07:25 AM

Many thanks for the detailed info Bob. That is really helpful. Any tips on room location?

We are in Hanoi at the moment and will be making our way very slowly to BKK? By the time we get there a pizza may be just what we are craving! Have a great time in England, sorry To have missed you it is a very long time since we met up with you Karen and gpanda in Boston. I am sure you will have a great time - hope the weather is kind to you! Where are you planning on going?

Safe travels.

rhkkmk Nov 30th, 2014 10:59 AM

we will be in kent, the cotswolds and near to Stratford.

I have always preferred the main entrance building, but really any of the 3 are fine...

Hanoi is on my schedule for next fall, a repeat trip

internetwiz Nov 30th, 2014 11:28 AM

Clive, use my trick from KL and contact the general manager before you get there. At the very minimum, a well-crafted note should yield a room upgrade for your in-laws (and hopefully you and Carolyn too). Have fun. We arrived home last night.

crellston Nov 30th, 2014 03:40 PM

Thanks Bob.

Glad you and Bill got home safe Claudia. I am already in the process of composing something for the Anantara. If I can achieve the result you guys did at the Marriott my in laws should be very happy!