Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Amazing Tibet! Wildlife, Culture & Stunning Landscapes! (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/amazing-tibet-wildlife-culture-and-stunning-landscapes-954251/)

cokesmith Oct 20th, 2012 11:54 PM

Amazing Tibet! Wildlife, Culture & Stunning Landscapes!

Tibet really is one of the great last megafauna hotspots left in Asia. I spent about 9 days there a couple weeks ago during our Golden Week holidays here in China. What an amazing safare we had! We saw literally thousands of animals of at least 18 different species, with some very good quality sightings. Tons of scenery and culture to make the whole experience very well-rounded and worth repeating. Take a look at this report and I think you will be as amazed as I was...

Cheers!

Coke

http://www.cokesmithphototravel.com/..._Plateau_.html

Hanuman Oct 21st, 2012 12:23 AM

Nice report and photos Coke. I had a lot of trouble at altitude 4,000 meters and above but read in your report that only one person, Stephen, had it.

Amazing you found so much wildlife there!

cokesmith Oct 21st, 2012 04:38 AM

Thanks Hanuman! It was high for sure. My night at 4700m+ was pretty much nearing my limit too....Not sure how much higher I could take and get any sleep...

Shanghainese Oct 21st, 2012 08:28 AM

Amazing, Coke, you made it to Tibet, many thanks for sharing!

cokesmith Oct 21st, 2012 02:33 PM

You bet Aline! See you in a week!!!

Femi Oct 21st, 2012 03:47 PM

Another great report. Having trouble downloading the pictures, so I'll have to back and have another look. So glad you're scoping out the lay of the land for the rest of us!

No Som and Cokie this time?

rkkwan Oct 21st, 2012 07:55 PM

Very nice. Thanks for sharing!

cokesmith Oct 22nd, 2012 12:52 AM

Cokie and Som decided to head to Thailand this time so we traveled apart this time - first time ever! It was strange for both of us and we agreed not to do it again...;-) Som, after seeing the images, was bummed that she didn't go too! NExt year will be a repeat performance.

Hope the pics are loading ok now. I have heard this from a couple folks now...Wonder what's up...

Shanghainese Oct 22nd, 2012 07:25 AM

Coke! Regretfully I won't be in Shanghai next week, glad to hear this is a much larger GTG with wonderful Fodorites, have great fun!!

cokesmith Oct 22nd, 2012 03:58 PM

OH No! I am so sorry to miss you! Hope everything is OK. Next time you are in town, please let us know!!!

Shanghainese Oct 22nd, 2012 04:45 PM

How nice of you, Coke, everything is fine. You know I live permanently in California and only visit Shanghai annually altho hope to make it more often. When I visit next, you'll be the first in town to know. Best to you, Som and Cokie!!

Femi Oct 22nd, 2012 07:19 PM

Yes, I can see the pictures now. Love the weasels and the first shot of the smiling fox. The other fox shots look strange and rather unsettling. I'm not used to seeing that breed, it takes a little getting used to. The tibetan antelope also look strange but not as strange as the fox. It just goes to show how unfamiliar I am with wildlife in this part of the world.

The wolf shots are exciting, and that of the tangled gazelle was painful to see. The photos are so important to the report, glad you were able to solve the problem.

cokesmith Oct 22nd, 2012 10:51 PM

Yes the Tibetan fox is a strange one. I tell my students that it was designed by a cartoonist that had a bit too much to drink....

travelwife Oct 26th, 2012 01:04 AM

Wow! The pictures are splendid! Thank you for sharing!

myshofer Oct 31st, 2012 12:03 AM

thabks for sharing coke. you have presented a good report.pics are amaizing.

Elainee Oct 31st, 2012 01:52 PM

Wow! What an experience! Just looking at the photos and reading about your trip, I am excited (and exhausted). Could never make that trip but loved seeing the animals and birds. Why do the people wear masks....dust?
So glad you share these adventures and your knowledge of the wildlife.

cokesmith Oct 31st, 2012 05:55 PM

Thanks! Yes the masks are mainly for dust, especially in the towns where the roads are particularly dusty. I cannot imagine living on some of the roads here... But the high altitude dry air may have something to do with it too. We were constantly battling dry-nose.... Thanks for taking a look at the blog! Cheers.

dgunbug Nov 2nd, 2012 01:09 AM

Coke - your pictures are amazing! Just wanted to say what a pleasure it was to meet you, som and cokie. The fodors gtg was lots of fun and dinner was outstanding.

cokesmith Nov 4th, 2012 05:50 PM

Same here Dgunbug!!! GREAT fun. Really enjoyed seeing and meeting everyone down on the Bund. And thanks for checking out the Tibet report. That was fun too! But the food was no where near as good....;-)

Cheers,

Coke, Som and Cokie

Shanghainese Nov 5th, 2012 07:15 AM

You got the Fodors goodies from Bob, right? Glad you had so much fun with the group at the GTG and great food too!