Amazing Race in Siem Reap

Old Oct 27th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Amazing Race in Siem Reap

Did anyone see Amazing Race last night? They were in Siem Reap. It was so exciting to see them at places I've been. They were on Tonle Sap lake and also went to Angkor Wat and finished at Bayon. hey showed some great aerial shots of Angkor that really gave a good overview. And the contestants kept lamenting about how BIG it is. Very cool.
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 04:42 PM

Sad that they wasted all that footage on them at the airport, and didn't spend more time at the Temples.

I thought the challenge was pretty lame....how hard is it to ask one of a thousand tour guides where the echo chamber is.....they should have had to find the dinosaur; now that would be a challenge!

Or maybe they should have had them take a taxi from Poipet in the rainy season.

It was CLASSIC that one team got in a taxi at the airport and asked to be taken to the gas station and instead the driver brought them to the hotel where he gets the highest commission!

Ha.
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 05:48 PM

Lori-that is exact why I don't watch Amazing Race. While it's neat to see all the destinations, the times I have checked it out I've been totally frustrated by the paltry amount of time they spend in each place and the lack of cultural awareness and sensitivity of the contestants.
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 06:20 PM

we watched and were amazed how much things had changed in a couple of years, and not to the better, in the limited shots they showed...

i thought it was a typical AR segement....
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 07:21 PM

I watched it too and was disappointed that they didn't show more of the country side and temples.
It was fun to see though...we won't be there til the first part of February and will be touring with Ponheary.

offwego....Hopefully she got her email hacking situation all straightend out? I know she was very distraught....

and I have to ask....
where might I find the dinasour?? or I'm sure Ponheary can show us?
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 07:32 PM

Ponheary's email situation is not straightened out. She just had to begin again with a new address.

She will show you where the dinosaur is if you ask her. I've seen some heated discussions between tour guides about it. Some say its a "water buffalo with a lotus flower behind it" but Ponheary doesn't think so. Looks like a stegosaurus to me. See what you think.
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 07:40 PM

here. i've dug up a photo.

http://www.pbase.com/loricarlson/image/105157944
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 11:49 PM

We look forward to seeing the Amazing Race. It's exciting to see some of the same places we have visited. Very cool, I agree.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 12:17 AM

We see both here on AXN, the Amazing Race plus we have 'Amazing Race Asia' which follows same format but is way better than the original, it is produced by same people, it certainly shows far more of the destinations, I don't know if you get to see it outside of Asia ?

http://amazing-race-asia.axn-asia.com/
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 12:00 PM

So sorry about Ponhearys email problems.
She emailed me with her new address since she had the problem...has it been changed again?
I have [email protected]

Looks like a stegosaurus to me too!

One other question....would it be best to donate through her website or present her with a check?
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 01:46 PM

Hi Jasper

You have her correct address.

It's best to send the donation to Texas so you can get a tax receipt. You can do this via the website or mail a check.

IF you don't care about a tax receipt, you can present it to her in Cambodia, but it would have to be in cash. She can't do anything with a check in Cambodia.

Cheers!