Search

Pindaya Cave

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pindaya Cave

Hello Fodorites! Just booked my ticket and am about to start fine tuning my trip to Burma in December. Quick question: thoughts on Pindaya Cave? Is it worth it?

More questions to follow but will start here.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 05:52 PM

Well, after researching it carefully, we chose not to go and went to Kakku instead. The photos of the caves show that they have been "prettied up" for visitors and rather looked like the caves at the Perfume Pagoda in northern VN (outside Hanoi). We enjoyed Kakku and felt it was worth our time.

Photos of Kakku and the drive to and from from our 2009 trip: www.marlandc.com/Burma/Kakku-Index.html
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 07:42 PM

Was there in January and enjoyed it. The setting is very attractive and the drive there fascinating, through some lovely pastoral countryside, and we got to see Myanmar road building - very manual ! It is a long drive from the airport and then back to Inle Lake. I cannot comment on what Kathie above saw instead at Kakku but her photos are wonderful. As for them being "prettied up " well they are attractive but I am sure they were started some time ago for more ascetic reasons. I guess it depends on your alternatives for time. For me Inle Lake was outstanding and I think deserves a good amount of time.

Bon Voyage, Christo.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 02:53 AM

As christo said, the caves are worth it and it is a beautiful drive to get there. Kakku merits a full day on its own - there is much to see along the way. We didn't find the caves to be "prettied up" but they are different from some of the Buddhist caves that we have seen in Laos, Sri Lanka and India in that this is somewhat of a tourist attraction for Burmese and foreigners alike.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 03:39 AM

In my 3 weeks in Myanmar, Pindaya Caves was the least interesting attraction I saw.. Even with the unlimited time we had in Myanmar, I regret wasting time going there. The most interesting thing about our visit was watching the road construction on the road getting to Pindaya Cave. I would rate it a definate miss.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks friends!

Kathie, Kakku looks amazing!