Amanpulo (Palawan) or Amanpuri (Phuket)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2003, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having just returned from Bali, my husband and I think our 2004 travel plans have changed yet again....we are now thinking Aman, Aman, and more Aman. Here's our pro/con list.

Amanpulo (Palawan)
- gorgeous beach and water
- snorkeling on site
- newer than Amanpuri
- affordable all-inclusive packages that will allow room upgrades
- the possibility of a kidnapping

Amanpuri (Phuket)
- older than Amanpulo
- heard the bungalows are very close together
- very expensive rates - even by Aman standards
- fleet of boats - also very expensive
- no terrorism to speak of

We'd love to hear about people's personal experiences! We're looking for a similar experience to The Hotel Bora Bora and Amankila.

Old Oct 20th, 2003, 05:35 AM

I have been to both. The Amanpulo is gorgeous. The only drawback is that it is on its own island and there is literally no place else to go. NO shopping, no other restaurants, no temples or cultural events. That being said, the staff will pamper you very much and you can take day trips to other deserted islands, all the meals are good, etc so you may not miss it. If all you are interested is snorkeling and diving (i.e., no shopping or restaurants or temples, etc) then this is the place for you. Adding "possible kidnapping" to your list is no joke, I would say that the Philippines is a bit of dodgy place to travel right now. Also, the resort is very isolated. I will bet it is a bargain compared to the other Amans. Another thing to consider is time of year: avoid June through about mid- October when it is quite rainy, and the typhoon season lasts from late July through end September. Take a look at weatherbase.com for historical average temps and rainfall.

I did not find the villas at the Amanpuri to be close together. The resort is small and quiet, so even if you have a neighbour, the chances are slim that you will see or hear them. The resort is older, but they maintain it amazingly well, so I would not let that be a factor. The resort is on a hill overlooking the beach, so may remind you a bit of the Amankila. The beach is very nice there, can't compare to Amanpulo, but still very pretty, nice water color and no hawkers. You can easily get around the island for sightseeing, shopping and trying restaurants. There is a lot of good shopping on Phuket. You can hire your own boat for the day if you don't want to use the Aman's. Getting out to the outlying islands is really important, as they are much more beautiful than Phuket itself. Avoid May through about mid- November when it is quite rainy in Phuket. If you have not been to Thailand, it would be nice to combine a trip to Phuket with a few days in Bangkok and/or northern Thailand. This would be harder to do in the Philippines, as IMO Manila is not worth a trip.

Don't forget there is an Aman in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Looks great from the website. . .

Old Oct 20th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Cicerone. You always have such great info.

I guess we are now leaning towards Amanpulo in December. We like the idea of seclusion and the awesome snorkeling/diving. Aman has assured us with a list of very specific security measures, to the point where we feel comfortable. And of course, the money thing is a factor. We're suckers for the "best room/view" and find this to be much more affordable at Amanpulo, for obvious reasons.

Are you aware of any reason why December might not suit us? We're expecting to book 11 months in advance so we shouldn't have trouble with holiday crowds. But it sounds like the water visibility is not as good as it would be in the spring...still, with water like that, isn't visibilty always good comparatively?
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 01:04 AM

I have been to Amanpulo in April, and the water was very clear. However, I think December should be fine, as the typhoon season has been over for some months; and it is really the typhoons that churn the water. I also agree that it is hard to compare water clarity between regions; as SE Asia waters are so much clearer than northern waters, so what may seem a bit cloudy to a local would look great to you if you are used to colder and not as clear water.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

nothing to see here....just a little BUMP.