Search

Safety

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety

Hello travelers!

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Southeast Asia for this August. We plan to visit Thailand for sure, and as a side trip, I really want to see Angkor Wat in Cambodia. My husband, however, is very concerned about the safety of the country, given the violent activity only 30 years ago. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Any advice on the safety and security within Cambodia would be much appreciated...
Thanks!
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 11:25 AM

I just got back from Siem Reap (was there March 10-13) and had no issues with safety. Your husband should not be concerned.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 11:26 AM

Siem Reap and Angkor Wat are quite safe. You should definitely visit.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 04:03 PM

Not to pour gas on the fire, but he's worried about what happened in Cambodia 30 years ago, and NOT worried about what's happening in Thailand right now?

Neither is a reason for not visiting. You can find a reason not to visit anywhere these days.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 04:59 PM

you need have no worries on either place....
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 05:20 PM

I have to chuckle that your husband is concerned about what happened in Cambodia 30 years ago. I suggest he read more current news.

I don't know where you live, but you'll likely find fewer safety and security issues in Cambodia and Thailand than at home.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 06:54 PM

Huh? 30 years ago? Happy Travels!
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 11:48 PM

What happened in Cambodia thirty years ago was a civil war and an internal political issue, and was not aimed at foreign tourists. It also has no impact on safety there today, which I agree you would find to be generally safer than a US city of most size. (People were being shot on campus at Kent State 30 years ago too, yet no one seems to be afraid to go to Ohio these days....) Your husband might want to read the US State Dept’s “Consular Information” sheets on each country, they give the State Dept’s own views on safety and security. They tend to be conservative and a bit negative, IMO. Read a few to get an idea, and read them on places you have traveled to see what the “warnings’ are and how they compare to conditions as you actually know them. See http://travel.state.gov/, click on “International Travel” and then search by region., For Cambodia in particular, see http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...80.html#safety

I had to laugh when I read the post. When I moved to Zurich in 2002, my mother’s only concern was about the heroin addicts in “needle park”, which of course had been cleaned up like 15 years earlier, but that was the last thing she had known about Zurich….
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 01:39 AM

You'll be fine in Siem Reap. Have you read any books on the modern history of Cambodia? I recommend 'When the War was Over' by Elizabeth Becker. It gives a good insight into the Kymer Rouge era and the events leading up to the 1970s. It also helps you to understand why the re are very few old people in the country.

When my wife was there recently she heard tourists described as 'factories without smoke'. Tourists bring much needed foreign currency to a beautiful, albeit poor, country. I've always found the people very friendly.

My wife and her sister travelled over much of Cambodia on their own, using local bus services, motos and tuk tuks and loved it. (They are both in their fifties) Our daughter had booked them into hotels/guest houses in Phnom Penh, Kampot, Battangbang and Siem Reap but they organised the rest themselves. (She also organised a guide and tuk tuk in Siem Reap. )

Old Mar 27th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for your valuable feedback! I will definitely share your insights and reference suggestions with my husband and I'm sure it will all help change his mind. I am looking forward to a trip full of adventure - thanks again!

PS - We live in New York City, so we are used to having to be aware of the people and things around us for safety purposes. Sounds like we'll be fine in Cambodia. Thx!