Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Altitiude Sickness Question for trip to Bhutan.

Old Jul 7th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I was wondering how many people experienced altitude sickness in Bhutan?
And if so, how did you combat it? I have been prescribed a medication...just hoping it's enough.

Thanks!
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That info won't help you - altitude sickness is totally unpredictable - young healthy people you would think would be fine can succumb. Have you had trouble before? If not, you likely will have nothing to worry about. I was fine, although I had gotten a headache higher up in China, at 14,000 feet.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 03:59 PM

The old Sierra Club rule of climb high, sleep low, is good advice. So sleep at mid altitudes the first night or two (Paro and Thimphu are both below 8000' I believe) and each night increase a thousand feet or so if you're planning high altitude trekking. Everyone is different. I do fine at 9000 feet and really feel it hiking above that. At 12000 feet I get headaches the first few nights. Are you planning to go as high as 14000' in Bhutan?
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 08:48 PM

I agree that you really just need to look at how high you are going. If you have been to places like Aspen, the mountains of Switzerland (i.e. Jungfrau area) or Kinabalu in Malaysia you have actually been to higher elevations than most tourists get to in Bhutan. Don’t get confused that because Bhutan has Himalaya mountains that you will actually be up at those high elevations. You’ll mostly be in valley areas looking up at those mountains.

I agree that health and age really don’t have any bearing on reactions to altitude, but would agree that as a very general matter, most people do fine at or below 10,000 feet. I have a feeling you will be at or below those elevations for all of your trip unless you are doing some serious treking. So just check the elevations. You may not need the medications at all.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I believe the highest we are going is 10,000.
I have never really been hiking. I don't know what to expect. My husband has done a little more. I was concerned as I have Rheumatoid Arthrtis (I am 36) and wondered if I need to prepare myself for the altitude sickness as well.

It is a guided tour, therefore the hiking isn't going to be stressful until the last day in Paro...but still only about 4 hours.

We simply do not want to get there and find that we didn't think of everything...or...MOST things, I should say.

Any additional advice would be appreciated. Our guide did say she has never had a client suffer with it.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 01:27 AM

I assume you have checked with your doctor as to any contraindications for someone with rheumatoid arthritis taking altitude medicine. My sister suffers from mild altitude problems, which only occur at or above 10,000 feet and that is only some dizziness and a feeling that things are in slow motion. As soon as she gets down below 10,000 feet she is fine. I would hope that your experience would be the same.

I walk and hike a lot, and would say that if your longest hike is 4 hours (I am guessing this is up to Tiger’s Nest?) and if you will be below 10,000 feet for most of the hikes that you probably will not have any problems as far as your ability to do them. I think these will be more like walks with some perhaps short challenging uphill/downhill bits as opposed to any strenuous hiking. My technique for uphill is to go slow and stop often to catch my breath; don’t worry about keeping up with anyone else. (Esp a paid guide!) Do uphill segments in increments of 20/30/50/70 steps or whatever sequence you can handle, and then rest, take a drink, and wait for your breath to come back to normal. A friend of mine here who is a very experienced hiker always says that there is no right or wrong way to go up or down, you should do whatever feels right to you, even if that is sliding down on your butt! (I use that philosophy sometimes when skiing…)

Things I always like to have with me when walking/hiking are (i) a good supply of water and (ii) a trekking pole. I find the pole to be helpful in coming down hills (Hong Kong has a lot of them!) more so than going up, but it can also be helpful for that extra push getting up a steep slope or set of stairs. The pole is collapsible and will fit in your suitcase when fully closed. I use one pole, not two, as I like to keep a hand free to hold water, or grab onto trees to give a pull up or slow me down on the downhill. You can buy them at Orvis, Lands End and other places. If you don’t walk a lot, perhaps you can borrow someone else’s pole, as paying US$100 or more for something you are not going to use again seems like a waste. (If you are coming through Hong Kong you can buy nice sturdy poles very cheaply here for about US$8). Bring one or two large water bottles or even one of those “camel” systems of an over-the-should water bag if you want. (In hot weather, i.e. above 80 F, I go through 3-4 litres of water in 4 hours. In cooler weather, it is about 2 litres in that same amount of time. You can always dump water that you don’t need, but I hate to run out!) Something like a sports drink (Pocari Sweat is popular here) may be good to have an hour or so before you start a walk to help you stay hydrated, but just drinking water is also important esp at higher altitudes, as dehydration can exacerbate reactions to altitude. A small hand towel or bandana for sweat (and unprepared rest rooms), and nut bars/granola bars are good too. A knapsack to hold it all is very useful. A hat for sun. Layers if you are going to be in cooler weather. I like to have an extra pair of socks with me in case the first become wet or to change into at the end of a hike.

Sturdy hiking shoes or sneakers which are well broken in, and good socks are of course essential. Don’t bring new shoes to do the walks. As you aren’t used to longer walks, large size Band-aids for blisters and a tube of first aid cream would probably be good things to bring as well.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 09:33 PM

Wonderful advise Cicerone. I would add that you do what the tour considers a 1-2 hour hike some days before the 4 hour hike to see how you do. Our Tiger's Nest "hike" consisted of some hiking and then a good stretch by donkeys, arranged in advance. The altitude and strong sun made my eyes sting so I'd bring a tiny bottle of Visine or similar. Also, an Ace elastic ankle bandage takes up a small space in a pack and can be a life saver if you should lose your footing. I'm curious about when you are going and with what group?
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! We arrive in Bhutan September 18th...going to be there for 2 weeks. I will have plenty of time to get short hikes in, as the Tiger's Nest is near the end of the tour. We have a private guide because I was concerned about holding anyone up due to my RA. Using Snow White Tours....Kencho gets very high recs. I think I am fairly well prepared. It seems everything mentioned is in my case and ready to go. And I have been breaking in the boots and walking stick every day...although I am certain I will not be prepared as this is my first real hike. I have only ever been to Yosemite...LOL.

I suppose I am simply more concerned at this stage of not knowing what to expect...but that is the spirit of an adventure. Looking forward to it and hopefully all the advice has come in handy! My docs haven't been all that helpful with altitude sickness but everyone is saying the same things...take it slow...drink water...I will be on plenty of Prednisone, so that should aid the problem as well.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 07:12 AM

hi i was just there, you don't feel nothing, been hiking at home, and prepare to walk a lot.
one thing i did noticed my acid reflect, so take ur own medicine.
are you going to hike to tigers nest?
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 07:16 AM

ciceron, im taking u with me on my next adventure
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Yes we are hiking to Tiger's Nest at the end of our trip! Was your acid reflux from the food..or meds that you take?

Is there anything that surprised you when you got there? In other words...something you should have taken with you to make your trip more comfortable? Unexpected circumstances...that sort of thing...
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 02:45 PM

Hi there! I thought I'd add my 2 cents to this thread...
I visited Bhutan last April (and will return in late October to lead a a small group through www.UniquePhotoTours.com).

Unless your itinerary specifically is designed as a hiking expedition, you will likely be between 8,000 and 11,000 feet. Most of the time, you likely won't even notice the altitude except on short hikes. At higher altitudes around 11,000, you will feel winded on steep climbs such as Tiger's Nest. But if you simply stop and rest when you notice your heart beating fast, you can proceed all the way up to Tiger's Nest without difficulty. Everybody in our group made it just fine, including a woman with MS and a man who was scared to death with vertigo. Horses are available to take you up the first hour of the 2 hr hike to Tiger's Nest should you wish to save your effort for the last jaunt. Downhill is easy. Just slide all the way down...just kidding.

Suggestion for "something else to take" would include small change to make donations at each temple you visit, and shoes that are easy to kick off and leave at the temple door. Bring a fleece, gloves and a scarf as nights get chilly and many hotels are not heated. (Some have little room heaters or a wood burning stove.) Bring plenty of memory cards!!! During a 2 week trip I took over 10,000 images. (Some are posted on the gallery of uniquephototours.com site) You can also peruse the suggestions on what to pack, etc on the website if you want.

Bhutan is a fabulous destination for those who love tiny mountain villages, traditional cultures, fascinating festivals where monks dance in masks, and Buddhist rituals and beliefs echo throughout the Himalayan landscapes. Plus, the people are so friendly, super willing to teach you about their country (in perfect English). Happy travels!!
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 03:45 AM

OliveO, how was your trip? We're going in May and I would love to hear your comments.
Thanks,
Jane
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 10:36 AM

OliveO, Are you out there? Please tell us if you suffered from altitude sickness.
Thanks,
Jane
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 09:03 AM

OliveO, I'd also love to hear more. I suffer from both asthma and RA; I have spoken with my pulmonologist and the travel medicine clinic prior to a trip to Bhutan and Sikkim in late Sept/Oct. I can't take sulfa, so the usual Diamox starting 3 days before isn't good for me, so the travel clinic prescribed prednisone for altitude sickness.

I'm also worried about the hiking and altitude, given my arthritis and although I'm in pretty good shape and normally athletic, I'm also pretty overweight. This summer I have done less exercise than usual instead of more, as I had planned in order to get in better shape for the trip--I had foot surgery and that has put a crimp in my walking and working out.

Everyone's thoughts are appreciated!
Janna
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 10:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Janna: "OliveO, I'd also love to hear more."

OliveO hasn't been on the forums since last summer. Some will respond for sure, but it might be better to start a new thread w/ your own, specific questions