Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Alternatives to Master Guest Paying House in Delhi?

Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I tried to book Master Guest Paying House in Delhi after reading so many good reviews about it, but unfortunately it's not available during our time in Delhi. Do you know of another good alternative? Somewhere safe, clean, and comfortable.

I've read terrrible reviews of even places recommended by Fodor's, where people get ripped off and scammed left and right. It sounds rather unpleasant and I don't want my first introduction to India to be like that. At the same time I think it's ridiculous to go to the high end, where a night costs the same as an Indian's average salary (the annual capita income is only ~$400).

Anyhow, please recommend something reasonable.

Thank you.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 11:23 AM

Namaste!

As a American who lives on/off in Delhi, i have written many posts on budget hotels options in the city beyond the five stars. u can do a search on this site...In the meantime, i will give u some brief suggestions..

First off, Yes, Delhi is a very expensive city for Hotels as per quaility, especially when u move into the high end market..What u get in this city for $60 can put u in lush digs in some other countries, but that is how it is..

That said, there is a world of choices for u, for the visitor to Delhi between spending $400 a night at the perhaps gorgeous and glamerous IMperial or $20ish a night at low key family Masters Paying guesthouse!

There are plenty of low low budget places in the city, where u can live on a few dollars, like in Parjganj...And there are many many places in the $50`^60 plus bracket in Karol BARgh..

That said, an area i am personally fond of, and that i often reccomend is handful of guesthouses located in/about the green posh New Delhi neighborhood of Sundar nagar< La Sangrita, Shervani Fort view, Jucasco Inn, Maharani to name a few..

There are a scattering of small guesthouses about the city in addion to this area..U might also try Ahuja Residency in Golf LInks, or Hotel Solo Vicotoria in GK1 or JorBArgh 27 in JorBargh neighborhood.

There are actually much more cheap and very inexpensive hotels/guesthouses in the real low budget, then the handful of exorbitant priced five stars.

There are also some luxury properties that have better rates, like The Park, The NIkko, and occasionaly the Intercontinental.

There is also a smattering of midrange places around Connaught Place, like hans Plaza, and The Connaught, and Nirulas, and marina, to name a few.

In terms of rip off artists, scheme~ers and scammers, well, welcome to India! Everybody has something to sell, something to show u, somewhere they want to take u, or some 'special" deal for U!

Just be wary...Even most drivers, taxis, rickshaws will try to drive u to a deal of sorts, or a emproium..Just the way things are..

keep your wits, and keep up a good sense of humor. India can be a mind boggling place, but there is a beauty in the chaos too..

Again, anyone traveling to Delhi u are welcome to contact me for help/info etc..Namaste. [email protected]

Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 02:31 PM

The ahuja Residency at the Golf links is nice for a budget place. My daughter lived there for several weeks, and I visited while she was there. Good location, too.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your replies. I'll look into your suggestions.

I also came across Hotel Ajanta which has decent reviews on tripadvisor too. I wonder if that's a good area to be in? It's close to the train station? Probably a good choice, if we decide to take the early morning express train to Agra?

Thanks.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 06:34 PM

i know the place and the hotel!

That hotel is on Arakarshan road, right near the budget backpacker ghetto of Parhganj. Yes, it is very close to the train station, so wld be convenient but i wld not say it is a good calm area by any stretch of the imagination!!

....so if u want something cheap and near the station, it may do for you..There are a string of cheapies in that area. But, if u want something a bit more upmarket and peaceful, stay away from the train station AREA!
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bonita for the info and warning.

How about the Sri Nanak Continental hotel? Is it also in that shady area? But its "zipcode" looks different. Thanks.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:11 PM

JC. I do not know that hotel sri Nanak specifically, but i looked it up and see it is in the Delhi residential/market area of Karol Bargh. I had mentioned this area earlier as a alernative choice for budget/mid range guesthouses.

yes, i wld say this wld be a better choice. It is not in a shady neighborhood, but rather, it is in a middle class Delhi locality that has alot of good quality budget accomadation..... the area is fine and safe and actually good shooping and street market too.. u will be in the mix with the locals...u can walk around.I think u will like it.

I wld say there maybe 100 or so small hotels/guesthouses in this locality., They are all pretty similar, so can not suggest one over the other..

And...This area is also still ve3ry close to downtown, only a few KMs..

namaste.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bonita!
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 01:05 AM

Karol Bagh is a great area to stay, in Delhi. Close to both Delhi Rohilla & the main railway station. There are lots of restaurants, good shopping & hotels are around 1200 rupees per night for two in ac room with private bath/toilet.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Lindie. Do you know of a good hotel in that area? Thanks.