Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Alternate to Burma/Feb (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/alternate-to-burma-feb-740751/)

ldtc2 Oct 4th, 2007 08:50 AM

Alternate to Burma/Feb

Hi Everyone,

I was booked for Myanmar for Feb, and I have been reading all posts online here for alternates. Unfortunately, I have been to all the countries that were offered.

Unless there is real chaos such as what's been going on there for the last few weeks. I still intend to go..... IF they open up the internet lines and I can contact my agent ( Craig I am using santamaria). I believe that a lack of tourists hurts the people. the Junta could care less ....

I might just go back to Vietnam ... can anyone offer reliable travel agents in Thailand and Vietnam? I have never been to southern thailand but I am not a huge beach person .... can do it for 3 days but that's about it ...

I haven't called Thai Air yet because I don't think I want to hear the answer, but what are the penalties if I don't use the second leg of that ticket BKK- RGN? I don't have a refundable ticket.... WHO KNEW?

Thanks.
Bette

rhkkmk Oct 4th, 2007 09:14 AM

i think thai air might refund or make alternative arrangements for you....did you book it on line?

i would hold out a bit to see what is happening...i think things will calm down....have you thought about calling santa m via telephone?? not sure if this is possible or not...
also write a letter...

Kathie Oct 4th, 2007 09:17 AM

Thai Air may well give you credit on another flight.

Last week, anyway, land lines were shut off in and out of Burma. Wait for a while and see what happens.

Craig Oct 4th, 2007 09:24 AM

I too think that there is enough time between now and your scheduled trip that things will return to "normal" in Myanmar by the time you go. If not, I am sure Thai Airways will accommodate you.

ldtc2 Oct 4th, 2007 10:25 AM

I agree with you all that things will settle down. I had not thought about posting a letter via the post office though. I will wait a month and see if I hear from the agent...

I sure want to go to Myanmar ..

Half the ticket was booked online JFK-BKK and the other half with a travel agent ..( BKK-RGN)

I will keep watching the news as well as this site .....

But just in case, does anyone have a reliable agent in Thailand? I didn't like the Thai agent I used the last two times......

Thanks
Bette

Kathie Oct 4th, 2007 10:39 AM

What do you need the travel agent to do?

I have someone I use to buy intra-Asia tickets: [email protected] He's at the American Express Travel Agency in Bangkok.

Craig Oct 4th, 2007 10:50 AM

I used Eddie at Seatours for my Bangkok - Yangon flights - same info as in Kathie's post above. Very reliable - will deliver the tickets to your hotel (free) or express mail them to you (for a fee).

cruisinred Oct 4th, 2007 10:54 AM

With regard to your question "but what are the penalties if I don't use the second leg of that ticket BKK- RGN?"

....as it seems you have 2 seperate tickets (US-BKK and then BKK-RGN) there should not be a problem with not using the second ticket (ie. it should not auto cancel your return BKK-US leg, as can happen if you miss a leg of a single ticket/reservation)

glorialf Oct 4th, 2007 12:31 PM

I have heard from three people in burma in the last 12 hours so internet seems to be back up. I believe you are 100% correct that by going you will be helping the people who may end up hungry or worse if they have no money because no tourists comes.

Kathie Oct 4th, 2007 01:40 PM

Gloria, that's good news that the internet is back up in Burma.

Girlspytravel Oct 4th, 2007 04:53 PM

There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't go to Myanmar, ldtc2, unlike all the other Southeast Asian countries, you aren't going to find bombs waiting to target tourists or the civilian population there-al-Qaeda, unlike in Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia and other SE countries, is non-existent there; believe me, the last thing the military junta wants is to turn away tourists-go and come back and post a trip report.

Girlspytravel Oct 4th, 2007 04:58 PM

An interesting side issue to what is happening in Myanmar, the military junta of Thailand and the junta in Myanmar get on quite well these days, hence, there are probably better relations between those two countries now, than there have been for decades and decades.

rhkkmk Oct 4th, 2007 05:35 PM

girlspy---how do you know that the military forces in these countries get along so well??

gintraveler Oct 4th, 2007 05:47 PM

Glorialf, I saw your post about hearing from some people in Burma. I saw you mentioned a guide on another forum, and I believe this may be the same one I met while there. I'm trying to contact him, but his name is fairly common I am finding, and I lost his contact info. Could you email me at [email protected], off forum? Thanks.

As to travel agents in Bangkok, I used Will at www.dtctravel.com and found the agency to be very responsive to our inquiries and needs.

glorialf Oct 4th, 2007 06:00 PM

gintraveler -- my guide was nyi nyi. Is he the one you are looking for? Yes I did get an email from him and I'll send you his email if he's the right person but I did not use the tour agency you mentioned so I'm not sure it's the same person.