Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   alterations and tailoring with your own material in HK (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/alterations-and-tailoring-with-your-own-material-in-hk-682821/)

hypatia Feb 25th, 2007 09:52 AM

alterations and tailoring with your own material in HK

I was getting out some clothes for the trip and found I need to take some things in for alterations (ie; cutting off long dress,refitting a jacket, new tablecloth).I don't have a reliable person here, so I thought I would see about having it done when I get to HK...Is there anyone near the 4 seasons that I should know about?
I have an impression that the tailors like to do new jackets and suits...that sort of thing and not alterations..?
. I could ask my hotel...

Kathie Feb 25th, 2007 02:20 PM

Tailoring in Hong Kong is not cheap. There is some high quality tailoring available. If the dress or jacket were very special, you could take them along, but constructing new clothing is really the speciality of the tailors I've visited in Hong Kong. In general, I think you are better off having alterations done at home.

Making a tablecloth is not tailoring.

Cicerone Feb 25th, 2007 05:52 PM

There are many tailors in Hong Kong who will do alternations (hey, lots of us buy off the rack here...), the problem you may have is that in my experience they usually take a week or more to do alterations, unless you are willing to pay a lot more (and at that point it won’t be any cheaper than the US), but two worth a try and which are not too far from the Four Seasons are these:

Fashion Altering Company
2nd Floor
Melbourne Plaza
33 Queen’s Road, Central

(I will look up the phone number at home and re-post it)

Margaret Court Tailoress
Flat G, 8th Floor Winner Building
27-37 D'Aguilar Street
Central
tel: 852-2525-5596
http://www.margaret-court.com.hk/
e-mail: [email protected]

I have been using the first tailor for about 10 years to hem pants, etc. She does a good job, she charges about US$10-15 to hem pants/skirts or adjust cuffs on blazers. If you have material you want made into a tablecloth, I believe she will do that, I know she works with fabric she herself does not buy (many other tailors won’t). Margaret Court will also do alterations, she is primarily a dressmaker and is a bit more expensive, I don’t know that she will work with fabric she herself has not purchased.

I believe both are closed on Sundays, but you could call to confirm this.

The Four Seasons may have reccos, but remind them that you want alterations, not bespoke tailoring.

Cicerone Feb 26th, 2007 02:23 AM

OK, I found the card for Fashion Altering Company, and have a more precise address and the phone number, plus I see they have a second location I had forgotten about:

Fashion Altering Company
Ship 215
2nd Floor
Melbourne Plaza
33 Queen’s Road, Central
Tel: 2868-1713

Shop 330
World Wide Plaza
19 Des Veoux Road, Central
Tel: 2522-9657

The Des Veoux Road shop is a block behind the Melbourne Plaza shop, so is marginally closer to the Four Seasons, but either would be less than a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

Their prices are lower than I had recalled (so much for my memory, I usually bring in a number of things and must have been lumping prices together). They charge between US$6-10 to hem pants and jacket cuffs for women (men pay more for some things). For altering the size/shape of a jacket, prices start at US$7, but would go up depending on how extensive the work is, if it is lined, etc. Overall, however it is very inexpensive. Both locations are open 9:30 am – 6:30 pm. They are closed on Sundays. As I noted above, if you want things done quickly, expect to pay more, at least 50% more I would say and they may not even be able to do turn it around quickly in any event.

Note that in Hong Kong, a shop in the “first floor” is one flight UP, shops on street level are on the “ground floor”, so a shop in the “2/F” is in the second floor, which you might consider the third floor.

hypatia Feb 26th, 2007 05:53 PM

Thank you so much!...Fashion Altering Company sounds good .I know I was paying 10US for a hem job which I can do myself.

hypatia Feb 26th, 2007 06:25 PM

Is the melbourne plaza near the dragon seed builing??

Cicerone Feb 26th, 2007 06:52 PM

Well, I think the Dragon Seed Building is where the Yue Wha shop used to be on the corner of Queens Road and Pottinger Street, so yes, Melbourne Plaza is quite close and on the same side of the street....

hypatia Feb 26th, 2007 07:23 PM

Thank you ...one last question.where can one rent a tux in central?..looked online cant find that..

Cicerone Feb 26th, 2007 09:14 PM

Interesting question, I don’t know, everyone I know owns one, and this is a good place to get evening clothes made if you have some time to do so, nothing like a custom fit with good materials; not cheap but certainly well made. However, I know that brides rent wedding dresses here (for pictures not to actually get married in), so I imagine you can rent a tuxedo. You might try looking for bridal shops, ask at the Four Seasons.

Kathie Feb 27th, 2007 05:48 AM

Thank you, CIccerone for your excellent information. I stand corrected. I guess I just couldn't imagine hauling clothese to HK for alterations unless they were somethig really special!