Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Alt Itin for Feb: Is 2 Nt Udaipur, 2 Nt Jodhpur & 2 Nt Jaiselmer Too Much?

Old Jan 5th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The topic says it all - we will be flying to Delhi after 3 nights Varanasi and returning to Bangkok via Delhi as well. Just looking for alternatives to Nepal, which seems unsafe at this time. We have contacted Castle and King for pricing.
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 04:39 PM

Craig,
We did exactly that, flying between the locations. Jodphur and Jaisalmer were reasonably interesting. However, I would recommend flying to Udaipur from Delhi, spending three days there, including a trip to see the temple at Ranakpur, and then flying to Aurangabad (we got a nonstop flight from Udaipur) and seeing the caves at Ajanta and Ellora. The caves are magnificent.
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 04:26 AM

Damn Craig, all my replies keep getting eaten. I'm trying but endlessly defeated by a rubbish wifi connection.

KTM is safe and secure right now - no one knows after the 24th Jan. The trick would be wait till then and busk it - but I think your comfort levels will preclude that. In another time, mine certainly would have.

I can ease your mind about your security in the bandh but I can't pretend for a moment that it'd be smart to arrive in the middle of one. It'll be a huge hassle and you don't need it.

But stay in India for your plan B. You've just got there, why leave? BTW - you can book any of your plan above, or find out very accurate costs yourself, you don't need Castle and Kings. Or are you just a bit spun out, P'd off and needed someone to work the magic. I know how meticulously you guys love to plan and research and just how much time went into your final decisions. That said, I guess I'd be hanging on till late January if you can - but with a solid plan B in place that you can swing into with less than a week's notice.

My continued experience is showing me that India runs on a very short fuse in terms of tourists - by this I mean that it is perfectly, amazingly normal to take bookings, change rates, swing into gear at the very last moment. It works. They think that we are crazy planning six months in advance. lol. Even six days seems like a very long planning time. In February, pretty much nowhere on your likely Plan B's will be booked out, unless it's a tiny boutique place and even then... you can pick up a car and driver in a second [kosher, I can show you how] and flights are a click on a mouse away.

Just for fun, Craig - look at this website:
http://www.mahindrahomestays.com/Pages/home.aspx

A circuit like you've described above, or smaller, could be transformed into a thing of wonder by simply thinking laterally, as above. Mahindra is by no means a hokey organisation.

I'm sorry pal, these thoughts are pretty random. I'm under pressure. Actually, I'm sitting on my toilet seat in the bathroom because it's the only place I can get wifi in my room. Not comfortable. lol lol lol.

Lordy, I'll be P'd off if THIS post goes into cyberspace.
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 05:15 AM

Hi Craig: I'm not sure there is a flight in and out of Jaisalmer. Depends on point of origin. Udaipur is possible as is Jodhpur, although there's an Indian Air Force base there and sometimes the airport closes down for maneuvers. Personally I'd prefer three nights in two places vs. two in three, but that's up to you to decide.
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Marijah, Dog and Indiana. The nice thing about contacting an agent is that I can e-mail him my requirements before I go to bed at night and when I wake up there is a response waiting for me. In this case, even the agent feels I need more time for the three destinations.

Marijah, yours looks like an excellent suggestion, providing that there is direct flight from UDR. I will look into it.

Dog, yeah I'm a bit "spun out" over this but trying to keep an open mind. I'm mostly concerned about booking flights right now but the home-stay site looks interesting...

Indiana, you are correct - no flights in and out of Jaisalmer.
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 06:03 AM

Two years ago Kingfisher was flying Jodhpur to Jaisalmer and Udaipur to Aurangabad but the flights only started at the beginning of February. We were on the inaugural flight to Jaisalmer (7 people onboard and left early!) Udaipur has a fancy new airport which opened while we were there.
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 08:59 AM

Don't count on a flight, craig. It's all about politics and Pakiatan. The greater the threat, the less chance of a flight. There are none showing ATM.

Immerse yourself in the homestays. I'm super-tempted by some of them. Guaranteed one on one. It's a clue.
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 01:57 PM

Craig, we didn't see the caves, but wanted to. One supposedly has deteriorated quite a bit, so my art history professor friemd tells me.

We drove from Jodhpur to Udaipur and thought the drive was lovely through the Aravelli Hills. There is a spectacular fort there called Kumbhlgarh after you leave Ranakpur. If I were to do it again, I'd spend the night near Ranakpur, see the temple in more detail than we had time for, see fort, then go to Udaipur.

Hope all works well for you . . .
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 02:31 PM

Ajanta is older than Ellora and the art has deteriorated more. However the setting is glorious. The caves at Ellora are absolutely incredible, http://www.elloracaves.org, especially Cave 16, the Kailasa Temple. Given the choice go to Ajanta first then to Ellora. They have different closing days so you have to take that into account. Ajanta is a couple of hours from Aurangabad but it's a great drive. Ellora is less than an hour away. I wasn't particularly keen to fly out to see the caves but it turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip.
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

I am seriously looking at the Udaipur/Aurangabad combo. Although there are no direct flights from Udaipur, there is a good connection on Jet Airways via Mumbai. The connection back to Bangkok via Mumbai on Jet works well too - could even give us an extra day with no overnight at the airport. I'll keep you posted on my progress.