Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Alittle help with Choices : Koh Samui or Koh Samet or Koh Chang (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/alittle-help-with-choices-koh-samui-or-koh-samet-or-koh-chang-374964/)

jkelleyjk Nov 9th, 2003 08:33 AM

Alittle help with Choices : Koh Samui or Koh Samet or Koh Chang

Hey, I am looking for a little help. I am a 26yr American male. I have already been to Thailday once. I will be there again in a week, but dont know where to go. Last time I did BKK, Chang Mai, and Koh Samui. This time I want to go somewhere like Koh Samui; with a beach, swimming, diving, some shopping, some night life, able to rent a cheap bungalo on the beach, rent a motorbike and explore everywhere. But I would like to go to a new area that I have not seen already. Looking for suggestions... Considering Pattaya for a day then Koh Samet, or Koh Chang, or back to Koh Samui and Koh Pangen, it does not have to be an island, sunset beach? Has anyone been to these locations, any suggestions, is mid Nov calm water for diving or beaching, anything you can advise me on would be appreciated. The internet sites are not giving me enough info to decide or it just is not personel, it all looks too similar.

JamesA Nov 9th, 2003 08:03 PM

This month 'weather' is the deciding factor and this month is usually heavy rain in Koh Samui. You can get to Pattaya in about 1.5 hours by taxi from Bangkok Airport. You can try the neighbouring resort of Jomtein beach if you want quieter yet still lots to do. Koh Samet I would not personaly recommend, though Koh Chang may suite. If Koh Chang once you are there is not to your likeing then note Bankok Airways has a daily flight from Pattaya (U-Tapao Airport ) to Koh Samui, takes 1 hr, that continues on to Phuket. If you want to get to koh Chanfg Fast Bangkok Airways has a couple of flights taking 40 minutes to 'Trat Airport'om where you can get to the pier for the boats to Koh Chang.
You copuld also considor the Krabi area, head to Railey Beach.

brotherleelove2003 Nov 9th, 2003 10:34 PM

MId-November weather in the Gulf is usually pretty unpredictable, sometimes very wet and cloudy with murky water. You might want to consider going over to the Andaman Sea to Krabi Town for shopping, then out to Koh Lanta for some R&R. There you'll be able to snorkel around the amazing limestone karsts. There are a few areas of Koh Lanta where you can find some nightlife, but not anywhere as intense as Samui or Pattaya. If that's what you're after, try Phuket.

jkelleyjk Nov 9th, 2003 11:42 PM

Thanks for the help.
From what I found online, as far as mm of rainfall; 302 - Koh Samui, 66 - Pattaya, 207 - Krabi. So I think that does rule out Samui. Krabi still gets a far amount of rain, but looks interesting. I guess I am leaning towards Krabi or Pattaya and exploring the coast there. I would appreciate any more comments or places to stay or things to do. thanks jk

brotherleelove2003 Nov 13th, 2003 10:17 PM

Today the rains are so heavy on Koh Samui that the roads are flooded. This is the 2nd time in a month this has happened.

JamesA Nov 13th, 2003 11:33 PM

Just heard the same about Samui, very heavy flooding at the moment.