Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Airport Transport in CM and Phuket... (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/airport-transport-in-cm-and-phuket-724628/)

WaterGirl Jul 29th, 2007 07:07 AM

Airport Transport in CM and Phuket...

And the questions keep on coming....

Thanks so much for all the good scoop about airport transport in Bangkok... Just sent an email trying to book with Bob's guys at AAC and will see how that goes but think it sounds like the best option. On top of the convenience factor, they're running a deal right now on round trip reservations - 15% or so.

Next question in the same vein is what about drivers from the airports in Phuket - to the Boathouse (recent change of plans given our switch to the ROS in BKK) and in Chiang Mai to the Yaang Come Village. Both hotels offer pick up service, but if it's as significantly more expensive (as in Bangkok) than other options, I would really love to have any suggestions for more affordable, but still comfortable, transport in our other destinations. The Boathouse quoted about 1200 baht each way for two people, which might be a pretty good deal, I really just don't know.

Thanks!

Hope

Kathie Jul 29th, 2007 07:52 AM

In both CM and Phuket, just take a taxi from the airport. In November, the taxi from the CM airport to YCV was a flat 120 baht. The hotel charges 200 baht - sometimes a flat rate sometimes per person. If you haven't read the CM portion of Kathie's Penang, Chiang Mai and Bangkok Trip report 2006, please do. YCV is lovely, but do not use their transport and tours desk.

At the Phuket airport, the taxi desk will arrange your transport. It's also a fixed price and will be much less than what the hotel would charge.

WaterGirl Jul 29th, 2007 08:04 AM

Perfect - and thanks for the great advice! While I certainly don't mind covering what we need to, given other great options, would much rather enjoy shopping with the difference...

JamesA Jul 29th, 2007 08:34 AM

As Kathie says, just take a taxi from the airport, Phuket journey would be longer than the CM one but honestly not worth having to think about, just cross of your list of things you 'need to arrange' it gives you time to relax and think about other things.

WaterGirl Jul 29th, 2007 09:03 AM

Thanks JamesA & Kathie. A cab will be the plan except for initial arrival and departure in BKK...

Kathie, just pulled your trip report from last November and am thrilled that is packed with such great information - YCV "heads up" will be helpful and the restaurant reports from BKK and CM are fantastic! Also good information about shopping (especially jewlery!).

Obviously, my planning continues, but this is getting so exciting!! I just hope the trip itself is as much fun as the preparations have been : )

Kathie Jul 29th, 2007 09:11 AM

Watergirl, If you are serious about jewelry shopping, do ask for Lily at SJ and tell her that "Kathie from Seattle" sent you. It makes a big difference in price.

WaterGirl Jul 29th, 2007 09:25 AM

I absolutely want a nice "trinket" from the trip and am a sucker for rings. How are Emeralds in Thailand? I've wanted a nice one for quite some time and have heard South America is fantastic for them, but just don't have much of a feel for what to expect in terms of bargain and quality on gemstones in BKK.

Kathie Jul 29th, 2007 10:43 AM

The best bargains to be had on gemstone in Thailand are sapphires, second best are rubies. Emeralds are not mined in the area.

I have been buying jewelry from SJ International for some 20 years. I find that I can get sapphires and rubies (either as unset stones or set in 18k gold) for one half the US wholesale price, which is one-fourth the US retail price. Do your research before you go by pricing items you are interested in at home at a good jeweler. Avoid the "mall" jewelers who always advertise 50-70% off, as their merchandise is of poor quality and the costs are greater than at reputable jeweler.

If you are going to shop for jewelry, do read about the gem scams in Bangkok and CM. Don't believe anyone who tells you the governemnt is having a one-day sale, etc. The gems will be real, but the prices will be US retail prices. They appeal to people's greed by having a confederate tell you they come to Thailand every year and finance the trip by buying and selling sapphires.

WaterGirl Jul 29th, 2007 10:48 AM

What about diamonds and settings?? Also platinum and white gold v. yellow gold in terms of price, quality and availability? I have a beautiful amethyst that needs to be reset and would love to put some diamonds around it. Is that better done there or by a good jeweler here?

Kathie Jul 29th, 2007 12:05 PM

Most of the jewelry you see will be in 18k yellow gold. White gold will be slightly more expensive, but it certainly is available. Platinum is not as popular, but a large jeweler like SJ will have it.

Diamonds are world-market priced, so won't be a bargain, but the work of setting them will be. I've had SJ set gems a number of times and they do a lovely job. Design it yourself or ask them to make an itiem similar to one they have in stock.

hoodlims Jul 29th, 2007 02:37 PM

The recommended jeweler in CM is Mr. Shiraz. I saw his shop while walking around, I believe it was between the Mae Ping river and the Old City. You can find it on the Nancy Chandler map. I also agree with taking a taxi from the airport. Getting around Chiang Mai is a lot easier and you can bargain more without worrying about getting scammed. From our hotel (Baan Orapin) to the Old City was roughly 40 or 50 baht and I think this is pretty standard for a tuk tuk rate around CM. Taxis are harder to find but you will see a lot of songthaews (trucks for shared rides).