Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Airport to Hotel Transport (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/airport-to-hotel-transport-757883/)

IWS Dec 22nd, 2008 11:10 PM

Airport to Hotel Transport

My wife, 3 daughters and I (plus the ladies baggage) are arriving in Singapore on Friday evening and need transport to the Rendezvous Hotel near Orchard Rd. I was going to sort it out on arrival but noting the wealth of information other "correspondents" have I thought I might ask whether we should book ahead? Thanks Ian

globalcitizen123456 Dec 22nd, 2008 11:59 PM

Singapore is a small island. Just call for 2 cabs - taht would be what I would do if I'm in your position.

Have a good one.

JamesA Dec 23rd, 2008 12:14 AM

Just go to the taxi queue and take 2 taxis, easy. It is very organised queue and you take your baggage cart all the way through. The cabs are mainly large Toyota sedans

No stress, no worries.

Cab may cost in the region of roughly SGD 20-25 each, so SGD 40-50 for 2, there is a hotel shuttle but the fare is per person, I doubt you would save anything worthwhile.

You might get approached for a limo service, I would never suggest as simply way over the costs.

MichaelBKK Dec 23rd, 2008 02:57 AM

No need to book ahead, but there are several large vans used as shared taxis on the airport run. Will probably cost less than taking two taxis.

Alternatively, you can just go to the "airport bus" counter, which actually uses these same vans. BUT, they charge per person and the price might come out to more than two taxis to the Rendezvous.

Another option would be for you and the luggage to take a single taxi, and let the ladies take the train. That way, they can get started on the shopping while waiting for you.

lincasanova Dec 23rd, 2008 03:37 AM

highjacking this.. two adults with manageable rolling duffles to intercontinental..do you suggest train or taxi?

i know bugis is nearest mrt stop.. but will we save a lot of time with train and then slepping to hotel?

( i imagine we will be a bit tired, too).. but at 5 pm from changi to singapore city.. besides being more expensive will the taxi take a LOT longer although more relaxing? not worried about the money..

we are so anxious to see our son i would hate to add too much extra time due to traffic problems the 25th of december!

Kathie Dec 23rd, 2008 07:13 AM

Singapore is quite small and very efficient. I've never been caught in terrible traffic there. The downtown core has restricted traffic, which helps. I'd just take a taxi, linc.

lincasanova Dec 23rd, 2008 08:20 AM

thank you .. and we are off! this is so exciting!

can't wait!thanks for all the tips!
taxi it is.

IWS Dec 23rd, 2008 05:14 PM

Thank you also to all that responded - MichaelBKK - the last thing I need to do is give my wife and daughters a headstart when it comes to shopping !!