Search

Please Help Us Plan our Honeymoon in Bali and Malaysia

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help Us Plan our Honeymoon in Bali and Malaysia

Hello!
My fiance and I will be traveling to Malaysia and Bali for our honeymoon in the end of September for 3 weeks. We are clueless about both places and would love some help. We want the mix of beautiful beaches and great culture. We hear that Bali doesn't have the best beaches, so we are thinking that in Malaysia we want to be on the beach and explore the cultural places of Bali. We are thinking to visit the following cities...
-Ubud
-Lombok
-Langkawi or Panang

What do you guys think? Are these the best places in these countries? We would love some advice on where to stay and for how long. Our honeymoon is coming up quick!

Thank you sooo much. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Yana & Rick
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 05:25 PM

When are you going? Start by picking up guidebooks for both Malaysia and Indonesia.

You go to Bali for the culture, the beaches are ok. Lombok has some nice beaches. We liked Qunci Villas on Lombok. You might also consider a stop in central Java to see Borobudor while you are so close. But you might also choose to stay at both a beach location and an inland location on Bali.

In Malaysia, I'd opt for the Georgetown area of Penang. I wouldn't go to Penang for the beaches. And if you've been to beaches on Bali and/or Lombok, you don't need to visit Langkawi for the beach. In Georgetown, stay at the E&O - a honeymoon worthy hotel. Clove Hall is another option.

If you have 3 weeks, the three stops in Indonesia and a stop in Malaysia is very do-able.
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Kathie! We are leaving last week of September of this year.
So, which beach would you recommend? Lombok or Langawi?
We are also considering to do a short stop in Singapore. What do you think? How many days would you recommend staying at these places?
Thanks so much for your help... really appreciate it.

Yana
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 06:19 PM

In September, it will be much drier in Bali/Lombok than Langkawi. So given the weather considerations (under 2 inches of rain on Bali in Sept, vs. over 14 inches in the Langkawi area), I'd recommend Bali, Lombok, (perhaps Java too) and Singapore.

How to divide it up? How many nights will you have on the ground in Asia? Where are you flying from? And do you have an interest in a stop in Java for Borobudor?
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

We are going to be in Asia 17 days (and that would include the travel between cities in Asia). We are flying from Los Angeles, CA.

Thanks so much for your help and advice!!! Java looks amazing, so I think that's a great stop for us.
So, should we do Ubud, Java, Lombok? We really love the beach... so we definitely want to be at a beautiful beach
Thanks!
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 02:44 AM

I personally would go to Bali vs. Lombok and spend 6-7 days there. You can stay in one of the beach areas at a very nice resort for $175-$200/night. I would hire a guide for a few days to go around the island. We havew used Putu who can be reached under balifriend.com. I am a walking ad for Central Java and if you want to see some amazing 7th Century Temples and awesome views you might fly 75 min. flight) to Central Java to Yogya and spend one day visiting the temples, some of the remote small villages and the Sultans Palace and then take a day trip to Dieng Plateau. If you hit it right and Sept. is still good weather the area arounf Dieng Plateau in terms of agricultural planting is, in my opiion, more impressive than in Bali.You might stay at the Hyatt Regency for $175.night or thePhoenix downtown for $100. The RT airfare is about $189/person. We used a terrific guide in March 2010 and are returning next month and are using him once again. If unterested you can contact him : bobodururtourand travel.com or his personal email [email protected]. He chages about $80/day for a0 hour day with a great Air Conditioned van. If you fly to Malaysia I would spend 2 days in KL visiting the Petronis Tower, getthere at 8 AM to ge to the top without a long wait, and the Batu Caves. If you can work it our to get a 2 day trip to the Cameron Highlands about 2.5 hrs. outsIde KL. The Highlands are beautiful but I am not sure of the weather in late Sept. but in late March it was blistful.You can also spend a day visiting many interesting momuments around the city as well as their version of Chinatown and some amazing mega malls that are almost as impressive as those in Bangkok. There is a lovely hotel the Sheraton-Luxury Collection that was only $180 or so a night and was as nice or nicer than the Westin or Ritz Carlton.The above would fill up about 13-14 days of the 17 days you said you had so you could even pick another place but you might get tired by then.
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 07:01 AM

penang is a really nice place to visit, but the beaches are also only so so, but georgetown is quite nice for a few days...

sanur has nice beaches in bali and lombok is very nice....we also like qunci villas (the older section).

in ubud take a look at alam shanti, esp the building with the gangga room..

the pan pacific resort is also a lovely big hotel in the west coast of bali.

air asia is a good way to get around in the area, but not to lombok.
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 07:10 AM

I don't have any experience in Malaysia to compare it with but if you are looking for suggestions of how long to stay - a week in Bali was plenty for me. To see the key sites you'll be in the car a lot and having a driver (which is very affordable)makes it a lot easier and more enjoyable.

Don't forget to schedule a few massage breaks. Lots of great spots where you can have a heavenly experience for a fraction of what it costs elsewhere.
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Much appreciated. I think we are going to do Ubud, Lombok and Java in Bali. However, where should we go in Malaysia and how many days?
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone! We booked our flight yesterday going into Bali and flying out of Kuala Lampur. We have 17 days on land. So, now we are trying to create an itiniary of where we will be for how many days. After reading all the responses I'm a bit overwhelmed with all of the wonderful choices, but I don't think we would have enough time to cover it all. So, what would you suggest as an itiniary for us?
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 08:36 AM

Congrats!

http://www.threebestbeaches.com/sout...indonesia/bali

Not sure what clueless traveler told you the beaches

are "bad" in Bali they are AWESOME in many areas...

weather2travel.com Climate guide LOTS less rain in Bali

Personally would just do Bali or hop around Indonesia

that time of year...

No clue bout your budget best deals for me on 5 stars

betterbidding.com www.otel.com www.booking.com for

honest reviews from recent guests...

www.komaneka.com Properties all great for me

Have a look at Monkey Forest Ubud and beaches in

the Julia Roberts Movie "Eat Love Pray"

VERY HM worthy... Happy Deciding,
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 08:38 AM

Stroll through the Ubud market in a scene for the movie Eat Pray Love. ... A deluxe room at the Komaneka at Monkey Forest hotel in Ubud comes with a four-poster bed...

mediagallery.usatoday.com/In-%27Love%27-with-Bali/G1706
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 08:44 AM

www.tandjungsarihotel.com

another fav of mine awesome place in Sanur

Jagger and Hall married there on one of the best beaches

Traditional Balinese Compound style seaview bungalows
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 09:06 AM

If you are going to Bali, Lombok and Java, you don't need another destination. That and a short stop in Kuala Lumpur is plenty.

And do decide whether you want to make a stop in Lombok or whether you would prefer to stay in two places on Bali, a beach and inland near Ubud. IMO, the beaches on Lombok are nicer, softer sand and hardly any people, but that doesn't mean the beaches on Bali are bad. It's just that you don't go to Bali for the beach but for the Balinese cultural expereince. Going to Lombok means taking much of a day to get there and get settled, so consider that in your planning.

I'd say two or three days in KL.
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 02:55 AM

I'm one who actually likes the beach experience in Bali, especially the big wave surfer beaches with glorious sunsets. They are not, however, of the deserted type with powdery white sand and clear turquoise waters. If that's what you have in mind you'd better try Thailand. (I haven't been to Langkawi so can't compare.)

What the beach in Bali has to offer is a lively and sophisticated life style -- the aforementioned big waves and sunsets, long walks, beautiful pools, excellent restaurants, good shopping and world class resorts. I especially like Seminyak and for a honeymoon I would recommend The Legian (in Seminyak)though there are plenty of other romantic spots. A private villa is also a memorable experience, though that wouldn't be right on the beach.

In Ubud I'd recommend Como Shambhala. Again, there are many other choices. In Central Java if your budget permits, stay at Amanjiwo.
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 03:12 AM

Question re your routing: Do you have to fly to KL from Bali/Denpasar or can you do Bali to Java/Yogyakarta to KL?

You may not be aware that Bali, Lombok and Java are three separate islands. There are frequent flights and ferries between Bali (Denpasar) and Lombok (Mataram), but it's time consuming. There are several flights between Bali and Central Java (Yogyakarta, Surakarta/Solo or Semarang). Yogya or Solo are the best choices.

I'm not sure if there are flights from Lombok to Central Java.
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your advice!
@marmont: we are flying USA to Bali and flying out from KL to USA
We don't have to fly to KL from Bali... we can go anywhere in Malaysia and that's what I'm trying to figure out is where the best place to go would be.
We want to do 2 place is Bali and 2 places in Malaysia. Half time split between hanging out on beautiful beach and half time exploring the cultures. Our total time on land is 17 days. We will be there last week in September and first 2 weeks of October.
So, based on that what would be the best places? It seems like it's a bit rainy in Malaysia in that time of year.
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 05:23 PM

I'm not a big fan of Malaysia and wouldn't choose it for a honeymoon. If you're looking for a beach focused experience I'd concentrate on Thailand. Thailand has developed resort areas on both coasts so if one's rainy the other's sunny.

Lombok has some very nice beaches but not as nice as Thailand. There are some lovely resorts with pretty swimming beaches, but you don't get the exquisite white sand/turquoise waters that you may be imagining.

The advantage is that Lombok is convenient as an adjunct to Bali, but whether you fly or take the ferry, getting from Bali to Lombok takes up most of a day.

I don't know your budget, but another spectacular choice is the Amanwana on Moyo Island. It's a schlep to get there but it sounds phenonemal. (I haven't been there myself, though)

My top choices in Indonesia would be Ubud in Bali, Seminyak in Bali, a beach in Lombok and the Yogyakarta area in Central Java. Which two you choose would depend on what you choose to do in Malaysia.

Your flight itinerary would also depend on your choice of destinations in Indonesia. You can fly non-stop from Bali/Denpasar to KL. However, I believe, that if you wish to fly to KL from Central Java or Lombok you need to connect, in Jakarta or some other Asian hub.

So my advice would be to look into some of the resorts in Lombok -- Kunci, The Lombok Lodge, Oberoi, Tugu -- and in Bali -- The Legian Seminyak, Amankila, Alila Ulu Watu, Tanjung Sari Sanur, Four Seasons Jimbaran.

If any of these suit your fancy and your budget then that satisfies your beach requirement. If not, then maybe add Thailand to your list.

Please let us know your budget as that may impact your choice of destination as well.
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!
We actually went to Thailand a few years ago and loved it... therefore wanted to explore some other parts of South East Asia.
These recommendations sound great. Will keep you updated
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 05:13 AM

I am not sure why your hung up on Lombok. You will hasve lovely beaches in Bali around Sanur and elsewhere. I would spend as I said earkier 6-7 days in Bali with a guide maybe 5 of the 6 days (about $60/day for a good guide for 9-10 hours) i.e. Putu is one then fly to Yogja-Central Java (75 minute plane ride), maybe use the guide we used and are using again for 3 days then fly to Malaysia and if the season is "right". you can check that out, and go for a full day and an overnight in Cameron Highlands, 1 day in KL proper and 3-4 days in Penang. With the fling raking up a few days you have about a 17 day wonderful trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -