Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   airline ticket (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/airline-ticket-809222/)

lisasiegel Oct 6th, 2009 06:24 PM

airline ticket

Hi, I need to purchase a ticket for my son to fly from New Delhi to Vietnam on Thai Airway, however, their website will hold a reservation but not allow payment. It must be purchased in India since that is the departure city. Unfortunately, I will not be in India until Dec so what are my options in order to purchase this ticket? Thanks!

filmwill Oct 6th, 2009 06:42 PM

If that actually is the case (which seems a bit odd) then you'll probably want to try a local travel agent.

A Fodor favorite amongst posters here is Eddie @ the local Amex travel office in Bangkok.

Try emailing him and seeing if he can match the fare quote you're getting on thaiairways.com

[email protected]

Hanuman Oct 6th, 2009 06:42 PM

Try using a travel agent in India as they can first reserve the tickets for your son and issue them upon receiving the payment from you. I don't know any TA there but perhaps someone else here does.

Hanuman Oct 6th, 2009 06:44 PM

Posted the same time as Filmwill!

I don't believe you can use a Thai agent in this case since the departure point is in India but do try.

lisasiegel Oct 6th, 2009 07:06 PM

Thanks everyone. I contacted your agent in Thailand but I doubt it will work since the website stated it must be purchased in India. I also sent a request to a travel agent in India so we will see what they charge. The Malaysia airline website does allow for me to pay online, but after I placed the order it stated that my son would need a copy of my credit card and ID since I would not be flying with him. This will not work, so after failing to find someone to speak to at Malaysia Air, I immediately called my credit card company and cancelled the non fundable ticket. I still have not heard from Malaysia Air so I thought I would move onto Thai Airway since the timing works better although it is a more expensive flight. Does anyone know what happens when you cancel a non refundable ticket through your credit card? Are you banned from the airline? Blacklisted from all airlines? LOL! I really wished they would have explained this procedure before I made the purchase.

dogster Oct 6th, 2009 07:11 PM

Is your son in India, lisa?

lisasiegel Oct 6th, 2009 07:43 PM

No. He goes in Dec.

dogster Oct 6th, 2009 08:20 PM

Because of terrorists and heightened security you may well have an issue with an airline ticket not purchased by the traveler. He will, I think, have to carry a photocopy of your credit card with him. Basically, it's a hassle and opens him up to weirdness at the airport.

Really, if there's a way of you giving him the money and then HIM doing it himself in India in December, you might save yourself a lot of grief.

rchowdhury Oct 6th, 2009 10:09 PM

You can try the following portals to book the tickets. I hope you will get a fair deal.

www.makemytrip.com
www.yatra.com
www.travelocity.co.in

These are the few reputed travel portals in India. I have used them personally and found them reliable.

Yes, Dogster is right, your son may have to carry the credit card. Please verify the terms and conditions when you book the tickets.

Further you may be charged the exchange conversion rate, it depends on the credit card you are using. You can check with your credit card service provider for details regarding this.

inquest Oct 7th, 2009 12:05 AM

Its possible.If your booking 3rd party(your son) on your credit card & you are not travelling.The copy of the credit card & an undertaking-'Letter of Indemnity' has to be endorsed by you at the airline office,in the presence of the staff.This document along with the passport & ticket is accepted by the checkin counter staff.I booked my folks on SIA,from Sing to Melbourne recently.

inquest Oct 7th, 2009 12:18 AM

Sorry.When I meant 'copy' of the credit card,I meant the credit card & its photocopy.They are just trying to verify if the booking is genuine & not booked thru a stolen card.They further 'indemnify' themselves in case of dispute & claims.

Mango7 Oct 7th, 2009 11:50 AM

Dogster- Any way to contact you outside of Fodors?

NoFlyZone Oct 7th, 2009 12:14 PM

Security issues may have made online booking not possible. But I would think you could contact almost any travel agent in the US (or wherever you are) and have them book such a ticket. They would be doing similar sales for business travellers often.

lisasiegel Oct 7th, 2009 03:01 PM

Thanks everyone. I gave up on Thai Air and rebooked with Malaysia airlines using his credit card. I finally found someone from their office in California willing to help since NYC just blew me off. They said they would only charge me a 1000 INR rebooking fee for the non refundable ticket, so I rebooked using his credit card. They really should state this credit card procedure before you book, but now I am wiser.

Mango7 Oct 9th, 2009 06:49 AM

there's my answer, lol!