Where to Layover

Old May 4th, 2016, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to Layover

Hi there - planning to go from JFK to BKK, but have many choices on where to connect. Looks like Singapore, Dubai or Tokyo. Wanting to fly ANA or Emirates as they look like the best creature comforts for a long haul. Noticed in past forums that United isn't the best for this trip. So, if this were you, where would you want to layover? I'm going to try for 36+ hours to see a different city, Planning on spending a few days in Bangkok, and then a short flight to Phuket,. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old May 5th, 2016, 06:56 AM

"Noticed in past forums that United isn't the best for this trip." United no longer flier into Bangkok, so it is not an option.

Choose your layover - if you want one - on the basis of which city interests you most. Personally, I choose not to do layovers on long fights to Asia. I find it makes the time adjustment more difficult, and I don't want to spend my time somewhere I'm not really interested in. On the other hand, some people find a few days in a city they don't know to be interesting and to encourage them to visit again.

Be aware that many airlines have changed their policies on layovers. It used to be easy to get a free layover, but fewer airlines are offering free layovers these days.

BTW, we did not like ANA in Business class on the 787. The seats are arranged in such a way that you cannot see or talk with your traveling companion.
Old May 5th, 2016, 08:22 AM

Its an international trip and its over 24 hours so lets call it a stopover.

The Dubai and Singapore airports are not far from the cities. You can see enough of those places in the time you have that you might not feel a need to go back. IMHO

Singapore is the longest trip, not by a lot, but am pretty sure you would be making a connection to get there. However, you could fly nonstop from Singapore to Phuket.

Both of those cities are easier to grasp than Tokyo. Tokyo Narita Airport is relatively far from the city, but the local area is worth the time and you can get a taste of Japan in Narita town and maybe catch a baseball game in Chiba-shi.

You didn't mention when your trip is, but consider the weather.

Dubai gets extremely hot during part of the year.

Tokyo gets cold in winter and you don't really want to carry winter coats just for a brief stopover.

I don't know if Singapore gets monsoon, but I don't think you'd be going to Phuket at that time of year.
Old May 5th, 2016, 09:59 PM

How about taking a direct flight from JFK to HKG on Cathay Pacific, and stopping in Hong Kong for a bit? You did not mention Cathay or Hong Kong as one of your choices, but Cathay is my favorite airline in business class--huge seats, wonderful service, and great food. And of course, everybody can have fun in Hong Kong, especially for the food.

I've taken Cathay flights from LAX to HKG, and then onto various spots in Asia, including BKK. Even the short hauls on Cathay are amazing. They always have a business class concierge on board who likes to chat with everyone, and make sure that we are all happy.
Old May 7th, 2016, 09:33 AM

I second what California Lady above says. Cathay is one of the airlines that allows a stopover without pricing each segment(free) HKG is their home base. If you should decide on a couple days in Hong Kong consider the Salisbury YMCA hotel on Kowloon, great location.
Old May 11th, 2016, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

thank you everyone for your replies. This is my first trip to Asia, and I'm really using the info in these forums to help plan the trip. You are all amazing!