Agra to Varanasi - drive, where to stop

Sep 12th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Agra to Varanasi - drive, where to stop

As part of a longer trip we (3 adults, 1 12-year-old boy) plan to take a train from Delhi to Agra, visit Fatepuhr Sikri as a day-trip from Agra, and then head on next day to Varanasi, where we will spend at least 3 nights.

My question - with a car and driver, what are nice places to stop on the way, both for sightseeing/eating, and for an overnight stay?

Gwalior and Orchha are two places that interest me a lot. Does it make sense logistically to stay overnight at Orchha?

I will add that we don't want to go to Khajurao this trip. I'm also fine with making it a two-overnight journey rather than one night.

One thought, is Lucknow an interesting alternative? I know its history but not how it is now!!
Sep 12th, 2007, 09:45 AM

Haven't been to Gwalior, but Orchha was a good look at a more rural part of India. The "sights" weren't in great shape, but I enjoyed it anyway.

But I wouldn't consider going on to Varanasi with a car and driver, I'd take the night train from Jhansi!
Sep 12th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - that is definitely one good idea rather than a two-overnight driving trip to Varanasi. But I'm interested in other ideas too if anybody has any!!

Sep 12th, 2007, 11:39 AM

Elizabeth - is this your first trip to India? If you're not familiar with Indian trains, take a look at seat61.com/India.htm, also indiamike.com.
Sep 13th, 2007, 01:06 AM

Take Shatabdi Express for the Delhi-Agra-Delhi route. Fly to Varanasi from Delhi. Those long car drives between destinations are not as pleasant as they might seem. You could hire a car locally.

Sep 13th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

I do know IndiaMike quite well, thanks.

I'm seeing that driving from Agra to Varanasi, with visits to Gwalior and Orchha along the way, wouldn't make sense in the framework of the three days of our trip I'd like to spend between Agra and Varanasi.

I'm now looking for different ways to organize these three days: trip to Agra from Delhi, visiting Gwalior and Orchaa, and then getting to Varanasi by any combination of car-train-plane!!

I'd like to avoid going back to Delhi as we'll have had our 4-5 days there by this time. I'm seeing that you can fly from Kajuraho (which I don't otherwise want to make time for this trip) or Delhi, or take a train from Jhansi (near Orchha).

Further thoughts welcome if you have any!!
Sep 15th, 2007, 11:15 AM

Hello there. Namaste and greeting from a American woman who lives in India!

Did you mean car/driver from Agra to Varanasi..That is one very long route, and not very reccomendable by road. Of course there are some intersting places to stop, but they are not really on the direct road from Agra to Varanasi which is the State of Uttar Pradesh..Rather, the intersting places to visit Gwalior, Orchan, Khajuraho are in the State of Madhya Pradesh, so althought it is in the eastern flow towards Varanasi, it is actually somewhat of a detour if u are going by road, and in three days, way too Much!

I am not sure of the time for the land route, but i do know a train from Ara to Varanasi takes at least 12 hours...

Anyways, there are many ways to route this, and i would suggest a combo of car/driver, train, and flights, depending on how much time you have and what u want to include..I know the route/destiantions very well, as i often do a loop that goes something like this..Agra, Orcha, Khajuraho, Varanasi..
Sep 15th, 2007, 11:24 AM

Hello there. Namaste and greetings from a American woman who lives in India!

Did you mean drive, a car/driver from Agra to Varanasi..That is one very long route!!!!!, and not very reccomendable by road in one swoop. Would certainly combine car/driver, train and/or plane to get from a to V.

Of course there are some intersting places to stop, but they are not really on the direct road from Agra to Varanasi which is the State of Uttar Pradesh..Rather, the intersting places to visit Gwalior, Orcha, Khajuraho are in the State of Madhya Pradesh, so althought it is in the eastern flow towards Varanasi, it is actually somewhat of a detour if u are going by road, as u need to go South East and drive/dip into another State, with seriously rickety rackety roads.

There are many great places to see between these two destiantions, and although i love Agra(well, love the Taj), and yea, Varanasi is the/can be a highlight of any India trip, I also LOVE LOVE love the smaller places, especially Orcha and Khajuraho!

I am not sure of the time for the land route tat would drive directly from Agra to VAr, but i do know a train from Ara to Varanasi takes at least 12 hours...and road direct, oh my..

Anyways, there are many ways to route this, and i would suggest a combo of car/driver, train, and flights, depending on how much time you have and what u want to include..I know the route/destiantions very well, as i am often in/out of these places many times a year..

u can certainly do a loop that goes something like this..Agra, train to Gwalior, train again to Jhansi(land to Orcha 40 minutes, and drive to khajuraho about 4 plus hours, and yes, from Khaj to Varansi a flite by all means..The flite is only 40 minuttes(once it comes/takes off) and the road, oh my about 12 hours plus depending....but yea, would reco more than three days for this whole loop.

By the way, I LOVE ORCHA, a fascianting small rural town..Friends of mine also own a lovely hotel there which i always stop for lunch or stayover,//AmarMahal...lovely!

And Khajuraho, by all means! This is one of my fave places in India. I consider it one of my homes in India, and i know about the whole town and all the hotels to, so if u are going this way, do drop me a line..Friends of mine own both the HOliday Inn, and others manage the Taj, so yea, i am hooked in..PLus, there is a gorgeous new hotel in Khajuraho too-, "straight off the press", the Grand Temple View. And yea, some fun local restruants too..

About Khaju to Varanasi..It is a quick 40 minute flight and then the next day or so u can fly Varanasi to Delhi..Of course, be forewarned that the khajuraho airport is somewhat temperamental, seriously affected by the weather in the foggy season, so be prepared...But my flite was only canclled about 7 times out of 100, so not so bad..And the ride, long but still exhillerating...

And yes, Varanasi..One of my all time fave Places in India..Make sure u have both a night there for Aarti/evening sunset prayers on the Ganges, and of course a sunrise/morning tour..

Namaste and feel free to drop me a line. Happy to help. [email protected]