Family Travel Thailand/Myanmar HELP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 02:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip end of June/early July to Thailand (BKK and northern Thailand) and really wanted to go with my children to Myanmar. I had mapped out a rough itinerary starting in Yangoon (1 1/2 days) , Bagan (1 1/2 days) , Lake Isle (1 day) and couple day trips from Lake Isle(2 days) . My children are 19, 16, and 14. Given the situation, my husband is reluctant to go to Myanmar. Will we have trouble getting a visa. We live near NYC so I can go into the city to the Myanmar Mission to obtain visas. Can anyone give me some advice on if you think it is safe enough to travel as a family. Tks. in advance. I know it is hard to predict what will happen between now and June.
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 03:42 AM

I would go! As a tourist I don't think you'll have any problem.

I like to recommend 1 night in Yangon, 2 nights in Bagan and 2 nights in Inle Lake. I took my 16 years old with me and she loved it!
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 03:43 AM

We were in Myanmar last February and always felt safe while we were there. As long as you are not a writer or journalist, you shouldn't have trouble getting a visa. I haven't heard otherwise since the recent uprising in the country was brutally put down. Please do your research and consider all of the political reasons why you should or should not go.

I assume you mean Inle Lake, not Lake Isle. I think you need two full days in Bagan but since you can only fly there early in the morning, your travel day can count as a full day. Depending on flight times, you may need an extra day in Yangon before you return to Bangkok.

Your best bet is to cut out the middle-man and deal directly with a Myanmar travel agency such as Santa Maria. You will save quite a bit of money and you can best customize your tour that way.

Weather at that time of year will not be optimal - it is monsoon season - hot and wet.
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 05:27 AM

go and enjoy this unique place....yes go to nyc and get your visa
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for your responses. Craig, I reread your trip report again for about the 3rd time - it is so well written and so much detail. Thank you for helping me plan my trip. I am going to email Santa Maria tours to get help on the itinerary. Here's what I'm thinking as of now. I'm still working on the Thailand portion. Basically I want to do a trek with kids; one day with elephants (should I do that in Chaing Mai or Chaing Rai), maybe cooking school (not sure my boys would be into that but I know my daughter and I would - I'm so confused about my Thailand planning. I was thinking I needed at least a day and 1/2 in Bangkok. I was going to do Tour with Tong - City Tour for 1/2 day and then the 2nd day do Floating Market, Bridge over River Kwai and Tiger Temple tour. Please anyone who has traveled to Thailand/Myanmar, let me know what you think. I also don't know flight schedules from Chaing Mai and Chaing Rai to figure in and out of BKK.

6/26Day 1 - Depart NYC Noon
6/27Day 2-Arrive BKK 5 pm overnight airport
6/28Day 3-Depart BKK to Yangon tour Yangon afternoon
6/29Day 4-Yangon to Bagan (tour bagan)
6/30Day 5-Bagan
7/1Day 6-Bagan to Inle Lake (caves)
7/2Day 7-Inle Lake (Samka or do a day trek)
7/3Day 8-Inle Lake (Inle Lake Boat Trip)
7/4Day9-Inle Lake to Yangon (can I go on to BKK in same day?
7/5Day 10-Yangon to BKK (can I go on to Chaing Mai or Chaing Rai in same day?
7/6Day 11 - BKK to Chaing Mai
7/7Day 12 - Chaing Mai
7/8Day 13-Drive to Chaing Rai
7/9Day 14-Chaing Rai (want to stay at Antartic
7/10Day 15-Chaing Rai
7/11Day 16-Chaing Rai to BKK
7/12BKK - then home don't you leave at 1 am Sunday arrive in NY 6 am same day
I know I need to get going on making my flight reservatons from NYC to BKK and then start getting all my hotel reservations. I'm feeling very behind on everything but I just kept holding off doing anything because of the situation in Myanmar but I really want to go. I thought about Bhutan instead of Myanmar but it is so expensive. Please help with suggestions. Tks. in advance.

Old Nov 24th, 2007, 02:58 PM

I think the Myanmar portion of your trip looks great, given the time that you have. I saw your other post - most, including me would suggest that you spend more time in Bangkok, if for no other reason than to let your family recover from jet lag for a day or two at the beginning of your trip.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Sorry I should have posted my itinerary on this email but I wasn't thinking when I created a new posting. I have several questions for you:
I checked the flight schedules for Thai Air from Yangon to BKK and then onto Chaing Rai and Chaing Mai. I can leave Yangon and arrive 11:45, then there is a flight to chaing rai at 13:50. Can I make that? Did you fly Thai air to and from BKK? My other alternative would be to fly to Chaing Mai and they have flights at 14:35 and 17:15. One other question on Santa Maria Travel - were you nervous about having to wire money to them. I see they don't take credit cards. Did they book your hotels in Myanmar and book your internal flights or do I have to do that. I can email the hotels but I wanted to ask you first. Let me know. Tks. Betty
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 10:56 AM

Betty, Ignore the troll. Fodors editors will deal with it.

We flew Thai Air to Yangon. I am not a big fan of tight connections but if you do it, make sure you have a back-up plan i.e. a later flight. 2 hours should be enough time however. Make sure you check your luggage all the way to CR.

Santa Maria made all of the reservations for us - hotel and air. We did not (could not) wire the money. We brought brand new US $100 bills (plus change) and paid at the start of our tour. That is the way it is done.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Kathie,
Thank you. I can't understand why someone would be such a pest. Everyone on this board is just trying to help each other. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out which end of our trip which should do 2 days in BKK - should we do it at the beginning or the end? If we arrive Friday at 5 pm, we could get up and do BKK on Saturday and day trip on Sunday or we could stay at airport, get on plane and go to Yangon or Chaing Rai? I just don't know which place would be better to start our trip. I was planning first week in Myanmar, 2nd week in Thailand but could do the reverse, I thought the weather might not be as good in Myanmar as the summer goes on. Remember we are arriving 6/27 and leaving 7/12. Any advice?
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 03:41 PM

I would do the two days in Bangkok at the beginning. That will give you time to recover from jet lag prior to departing for Myanmar.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 03:55 PM

I agree with Craig, start with two days in Bangkok. And I wouldn't use either of them for an out of town trip. Also, I'd choose either Chiang Mai OR Chiang Rai, not both. If it were me, I'd choose Chiang Rai and the Anantara. So fly from Burma back to Bangkok then on to Chiang Rai. From Chaing Rai come back to Bangkok for a couple of days.
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your input. Several more planning questions: I agree with comments to start in BKK so we will stay 3 nights and have 2 days of touring at the beginning of our trip. Also, I was debating myself about Chaing Mai vs. Chaing Rai and so I agree with Kathie and think we'll go with Chaing Rai and try to stay at the Anantara. I'll email them tonite. I've been following the JFK/BKK flight on Thai Air for months and the price is still the same at $1315 - should I just go ahead and book it. Also, does anyone know if you can use United miles to upgrade to premium economy or another service? I live close to NYC so I thought I would go into the city to the Thai Air ticket office to purchase tickets roundtrip and then inter-Thailand. Craig, what airlines did you fly inter-Myanmar. Do you know when Thai Air and Mynamar airlines update their schedules - right now they are only through March -08. I also saw that one of the myanmar airlines flies from Yangon to Chaing Rai - should I do that instead of coming back through Bangkok? How reliable are the myanmar airlines and schedules? We also might add 2 days to our trip to visit Cambodia to Ankgor Wat. Is the best way to get their through BKK? So many things to sort out but such fun planning. Tks. for your help.
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 03:34 PM

Two days is simply not enough for Angkor. You have plenty of locations already, slow down and experience the places you are visiting. Save Angkor for next trip.

Which airline flies from Yangoon to Chiang Rai?
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 04:08 PM

Betty, we flew Air Bagan. Do not fly Myanmar Air - they are terrible. If another airline flies direct to CR go for it. All of the Myanmar airlines are generally reliable except for Myanmar Air - some will actually leave early so get there in time. Santa Maria may have the flight times after March.

As Kathie said, forget about doing Cambodia on this trip - not enough time.

You can't use United miles to upgrade on Thai but you can use miles to purchase a Business Class ticket. I don't think the economy fare will change much so go and book it. The upgrade cost to premium economy might be worth it for the long flight. We've always flown business class which has been quite good.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone, I'm in sensory overload. I have so much information that I'm a bit overwhelmed. I guess my biggest frustration is trying to decide the order of our trip. We arrive in BKK, will stay 3 nights and then should we go up to Northern Thailand or over to Myanmar first. Or we could stay in BKK 2 nights and then go to Myanmar or NThailand on Sunday. My 2nd day touring in BKK could be on a flight coming back through BKK. I was thinking Myanmar first because I thought maybe weather would be better going end of June. What do you think. Also, the hotels in BKK and Thailand - should I book directly or book through Asiarooms.com. Does anyone have a feel for getting a better rate booking direct or through someplace like Asiarooms. Need advice on that. I also found Air Mandalay flies from Yangon to Chaing Mai, not Chaing Rai so I was thinking fly into Chaing Mai, get a van and driver pick us up and drive up to Chaing Rai stopping at some villages along the way?. I want to stay at the Anantara. What do you think of that idea, rather than coming back through BKK?
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 04:23 PM

On the hotel bookings, just compare rates and weigh whether you want to pay in advance or not. It is very difficult to make changes or get a refund once you've booked on Asiarooms but the savings might or might not be worth the bother - sometimes I've booked on Asiarooms, sometimes direct - up to you.

I don't think I'd want to drive from Chiang Mai to the Anantara - its a long way. Weigh that against flying from Bangkok. I don't think the weather will matter - northern Thailand or Myanmar, both should be similar as they are not that far apart.

Doing a day in Bangkok in the middle would be a waste - you'd be spending a lot of time just going back and forth to the airport.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Craig, Tks. so much for the input. I really need some guidance on the inter-thailand flights. I have read about Eddie from Seatours people have used. I know that Santa Maria will book the inter-Myanmar flights but I need someone to contact about the inter-Thailand. Any suggestions. How far is the aiport from hotels in BKK - is it far?

Hanuman - just wondering some of the favorite things your 16 year old enjoyed in Myanmar. Also, did you use Santa Maria for your Myanmar planning?

Thanks again. Betty
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 05:03 PM

Intra-Thailand flights can be booked direct - internet or phone. Hotels are 45 minutes to an hour from the airport depending on traffic.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

I've had to put my planning on hold for the past 2 months as I got overloaded with the holidays and then have spent the last month preparing for my annual school district orphanage trip to Colombia. Returned from Colombia yesterday and now am full swing into final planning. My biggest frustration is trying to figure out the inter-asia flights but once I figure that out, I'll be able to finalize hotels and guides. I'm going to email Eddie at the Amex office in BKK. Craig, just wondering on choice of hotel in Inle Lake why you did not choose Inle Princess Resort? Which one did you stay at and why did you choose that one. Which one do you think my kids would enjoy. Also, what do you think about overnight trek (1 night) should I do that in Myanmar around Inle Lake area or northern thailand? Thoughts, anyone? Tks Betty
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:37 PM

Bacooking:

In your other post you asked about Diethelm Travel. I have had experience using the services of Diethelm, and I provided you a response in your other post.

I hope you will not be too startled by my experiences and observations.

Whatever you decide, do have a wonderful time in SE Asia; it's delightful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -