Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Advise for Taipei please! (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/advise-for-taipei-please-258954/)

Alex Sep 18th, 2002 01:43 AM

Advise for Taipei please!

For flight connection, I have 7 hours to kill in Taipei. Can somebody give me some suggestion what to see and where to go within the limited time? Any advise is appreciated.

TaipeiWalker Sep 18th, 2002 03:10 AM

I honestly can't think of anything interesting near the airport - the trip fom airport to town takes about an hour by car - longer if you take the coach. <BR><BR>The Grand Hotel is on the way to town, and Shilin night market, but thats only if you're there at night.<BR><BR>I would put the National Palace Museum as the place you must go if you're down to only one choice, but its a fairly long drive.

Alex Sep 18th, 2002 08:50 AM

Dear Taipei Walker,<BR>Thank you for your reply. I didn't know Taipei airport was so far from town. But I'll check about the museum.<BR><BR>Thanks again.<BR>Alex

Marilyn Sep 18th, 2002 09:04 AM

Alex -- there was a very similar question within the past few months and the consensus of replies was that it was not really possible to get into Taipei, see something, and get back to the airport in time for an international flight. The hour drive between the airport and Taipei can easily get longer if there's bad traffic<BR>and that is NOT an unusual event.<BR><BR>To add insult to injury, the Taipei airport is not a particularly interesting one. If you can pull up the thread (it seems some postings have been lost in the recent website upgrade), I seem to recall some small museum or something near the airport. Maybe the same person will post again.<BR><BR>Personally, I'd bring an extra book, crossword puzzles, whatever floats your boat. And I sure would try not to have my layover in Taipei next time!

Kristina Sep 18th, 2002 02:57 PM

I've had a few layovers in the Taipei airport and it has to be one of the most unfriendly I've ever been in. Also, bring a jacket or sweater as I remember it being freezing cold inside.

Alex Sep 18th, 2002 09:15 PM

Dear Marilyn and Kristina,<BR><BR>Sounds like connecting at the Taipei airport is really bad news. When I had a long connection time in Hong Kong on the way to Philippines, I had several hours and I could see many places (sightseeing, shopping and enjoying local foods!). Well, I try not to stop at Taipei next time. <BR><BR>I appreciate both of you for your input.

Marilyn Sep 18th, 2002 09:28 PM

The (new) Hong Kong airport is large, full of lovely shops, restaurants, and really fabulous lounges if you are traveling business class or better. Plus you can be in HK in what, about half an hour?<BR><BR>Taipei airport is just boring in my opinion. You can get "local" food, but I doubt if you'll be impressed by it! I HAVE been in worse airports, I must say. Have a great trip, Alex!

Alex Sep 19th, 2002 08:08 PM

Dear Marilyn,<BR><BR>Yes, Hong Kong new airport is very accessible. There is a convient subway system that can take you to central Hong Kong within one hour. That made my long connection time worthwhile. On the contrary, it sounds like connection at Taipei airport is no picnic. Sigh---.<BR><BR>But thank you for all your info. I will try my best to make my waiting time meaningful.<BR><BR>Alex

Fred Sep 20th, 2002 11:37 AM

The museum that a previous poster referred to is a museum of aviation on the airport grounds. That'll kill a half hour! Seriously, I would try to get a one-time membership in either the EVA lounge or the China Air lounge (they might sell one-day entries at their desks) or join Priority Pass ahead of time and use it to get entry to the EVA lounge. This will cost around $20 based on the the plan you choose with Priority Pass. The lounge has comfortable chairs, beverages, dim sum, internet access, and TV. Good luck!

Alex Sep 22nd, 2002 12:32 PM

Thank you for your good advise Fred. Relaxing in a lounge is a great idea too. That must be the most comfortable way to kill the waiting time. I'll ask about it at the desk before I leave. <BR><BR>Thanks again!