Advice Sought: Flying Chiang-Mai to SIN

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would welcome any ideas as I figure out how to fly from Chiang Mai to Singapore Christmas week, which I gather is a pretty busy time. Non-stops look expensive if I book now on Silk Air -- around BHT 7500; does that sound right? -- but I'm concerned that if I wait for "special fares" to open up in December it may be too late to get a seat. Also, I am assuming it is smart to look for a non-stop rather than go through the hassle, and kill a day, of doing two separate one-ways through Bangkok (CM to BKK, then BKK to SIN)? Thanks.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 11:14 AM

I know this one!
Silk Air one way is pricey but it is a full service airline ( wholly owned by Singapore Airlines ) so you get hot meal, air miles etc.

The other is Tiger Airways, if you get a booking in quick you can get real cheap, budget airline, evening flight, gets into Singapore about 11.30 pm ( the flight is 3 hrs CM-Sin). 4 flights per week, Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun

Both airlines use new Airbus A 320's which are nice, but Tiger Airways has less legroom as Budget carrier and you pay for food and drinks

I just tried as an example for Dec 28th CM to Singapore and the fare came up as ( including tax/surcharges at the moment ) as SGD 109.23 per person one way
( that is USD 65.12 approx ) or Thai Baht 2,670 !!

www.tigerairways.com

You owe me a beer !!
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 11:18 AM

Just to add Tiger Airways is a Singaporean Budget Airlines that is 'part owned' by Singapore Airlines in case you were worried about who they were.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Well, James, that's what I call an ANSWER! I actually owe you three beers since there are three of us traveling. Of course, the day I wanted to fly (27 Dec) is not one of the days Tiger has flights, but I'm going to look into some rescheduling. Thanks again.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 12:57 PM

Do remember that you can't change on Tiger Airways, I cannot remember if it was yourself or someone else asked about this but I got them the email address for Silk Air in CM, not sure what deal they got, I will try and search it out if you need it just to query.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 01:04 PM

Here it is:
Silkair Chiang Mai:-
Fax: (66-53) 904 988
Email: [email protected]

Seatours Chiang Mai ( Travel Agent ):
Fax: (66-53)271-401

Email: [email protected]

Old Sep 8th, 2005, 12:03 AM

I had this exact issue and a poster on another forum gave me the Email address (the same one JamesA has given you) for silkair in CM they were SUPER helpful and i have saved over £100 booking direct. She has held my tickets and i am going to collect when i get there. (the winter fares arent published yet but she gave me the most it will be) i am going to contact her again at the end of Sept when they are published. Also flight times are better 11am so arriving at Sin at 3pm.

Regards
Smeagol
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 12:54 AM

That flight time is relevant because Tiger takes off about 7.30 pm so you will, unless lucky have to check out by say 2 pm and you get into Singapore 'after' the MRT has closed, so instead of buying a SGD 1.90 ( I think ) ticket downtown you would need about SGD 30 for a taxi, it's not a big deal but flying around lunchtime between places does have advantages.