Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Advice on hotel Chiang Rai - Downtown (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/advice-on-hotel-chiang-rai-downtown-570491/)

mariacarolina Nov 12th, 2005 11:53 AM

Advice on hotel Chiang Rai - Downtown

Hi,

I am looking for hotels in Chiang Rai, I want to stay very closo to the city center, wats, and night bazaar as possible, as I justa have one day/night to do Chiang Rai downtown, and the next day I head north to Golden triangle area.

I was compeltely in love with the Naga Hill (http://www.nagahill.com) look and style, but I am afraid this is still far from city center. I looked at Dusit Island and River House, but both seem too much touristy, high buildings.
Does not Chiang Rai have just a nice, cozy hotel downtown?

connette Nov 12th, 2005 01:03 PM

Have you looked at the Legend? Here is what is said: Situated on the banks of the Mae Kok River, The Legend is just a rickshaw ride away from Chiang Rai in the heart of the Golden Triangle.

glorialf Nov 12th, 2005 02:59 PM

You could try the Wiang. Right in the middle of everything. Nothing fancy but may suit your needs.

mariacarolina Nov 12th, 2005 09:04 PM

Connete - i had fallen in love with The Legend before, but I read some reviews that the hotel, rooms and scenery are beautiful and just that. No good service, no big deal at all....

Glorialf - I found the Wiang as touristy as the Dusit, and without the facilities the second one has. I am starting to think that tehreīs no other option that stick with Dusit...

Thank you both VERY VERY much for taking your time to help me, hope Ic an help you some day soon,

Maria Carolina

JamesA Nov 12th, 2005 11:01 PM

if you wanted to be right in the center then I also would have suggested the Wiang Inn.
If yuo don't mind a short journey into the center then the "Little Duck" ( USD 38 for a deluxe ), if you wanted something more stylish on the river the "River House Resort and Spa", that's in the USD 85+ range

glorialf Nov 13th, 2005 04:22 AM

By nature all hotels are touristy since they serve tourists. It sounds like what you are looking for is a deluxe guest house. You might want to post your question on the lonely planet forum. They may have thoughts for you.

mariacarolina Nov 13th, 2005 05:38 AM

JamesA,

I loved the River Resort pictures, thanks!!!!!
Do you know how far is it from the center?
I will have a car anyway, no problem if thereīs need to drive, but I donīt want to stay more than 15 minutes drive from main sites.

connette Nov 13th, 2005 06:51 AM

River House Resort and Spa does look nice. The website says 3km from the city center and there is a map as well.

mariacarolina Nov 13th, 2005 10:10 AM

Connette,
I couldnīt find the River House Resort and Spa official website, just travel sites that mention it.
If you got it, can you please send me that?
Thanks,
Maria

connette Nov 13th, 2005 12:37 PM

Try http://www.riverhouse-chiangrai.com
When are you going?

mariacarolina Nov 13th, 2005 02:05 PM

Connette,
Tks for the website.
I leave Brazil on Feb. 24h, but just get to Chiang Rai on March 13th (Iīll go to Luang Prabang, Vietnam, Siem Reap and BKK before). I will stay in CR from March 13th to 15th, then head down to last stop - Chiang Mai from 15th to 18th.
Once again, many thanks!

rhkkmk Nov 13th, 2005 02:34 PM

CR is small...in 15 minutes you could miss the whole town

connette Nov 13th, 2005 02:51 PM

We leave in 3 days for Vietnam and Cambodia. We are already having fitful nights of sleep with excitement. I have literally wanted this trip for over 25 years. We will be heading to Thailand and Laos next November. Can't wait for your trip report! Especially since we are also heading up thru Ayuthaya, Sukhothai and Lampang - but a bit slower and with a driver. We are chickens when it comes to driving. We are also staying at the River Lodge. The Ananda was already booked though, so are going with their sister hotel as of now. I was bummed because I really wanted to stay there. I am a bit crazy when it comes to hotels. I really wish I would/could get over it. Please tell us all about it when you get back.

mariacarolina Nov 13th, 2005 02:51 PM

rhkkmk,

in fact, I will spent one night in CR downtown and the other in the Golden Triangle area.
So, just one day for city center is enough right?

mariacarolina Nov 13th, 2005 02:56 PM

Connette!!!

Thatīs sounds lovely!!!!
WOW! I donīt think I will get to sleep the MONTH before my trip, ahaha!!!!

YEs, i know that we are rushing a little bit, but as I said before, I donīt do this way, i canīt do it.... We get home from the trips I plan always needing VACATIONS, ahahahaha!!!

Anyway, have a WONDERFUL trip, have the time of your life, enjoy a lot, every second and every problem you will have to come along with!!!!

I canīt wait to read your report, mine will take sooooooo long to come!!!

It seams we have almost the same taste for hotels, cozy, nice clean atmosphere and "local" looking ones, right?