Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Advice on..: Hong Kong, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Dubai, how they compare?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2011, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Sorry for this generic question.
I will do a trip to Southeast Asia with a stopover in Dubai. It's a multi-cities tour. I have already planned the route, booked flights & accommodation and do some research with guidebooks and on internet.

Route:
--Hong Kong (6 nights on the 3rd week of September)
--Kuala Lumpur (3 nights on the 3rd-4th week of September)
--Angkor (3 nights on the 4th week of September)
--Singapore (5 night on the 1st week of October)
--Dubai (2 nights on the 1st-2nd week of October)

I ask for advice about some aspects I have found mixed (sometimes contradictory) information. Especially, it's advice about what to pack.

1.- Weather. All stops are hot and wet places (Dubai only hot). But it will be very rainy? I'm not sure if there is risk of typhoons in HKG or monsoon in KL and SIN
2.- Etiquette. Related to point 1, where is / is not appropriate wear shorts? I have read that in KL people wearing shorts looks strange. And in Angkor are not recommended because it's a sacred place. Is this true? What about SIN and HKG? And short-sleeve t-shirts?
3.- Health risks. I'm a magnet for mosquitoes. I have seen that there is dengue risk in SIN. And malaria could be present in Angkor. I will be travelling by plane and staying in mid-range city hotels (3-4 stars). In principle, as it's my first visit to all these places, my sightseeing routes will be on the beaten track. What I should take care of? I'm afraid of wearing long-sleeve t-shirts and sweating a lot.
4.- Shopping. Beyond local crafts and other possible souvenirs, I plan to buy a new point-and-shoot camera. I'm travelling from the Eurozone. I have read that SIN could be cheaper than KL for electronics. But some products, as the Apple's ones, have similar prices in HKG as in USA (that is, cheaper than in Europe). So, is it cheaper HKG than SIN? What about Dubai? (Also, in past trips to the USA, I bought Levis 501 jeans. Is it possible to find them at similar prices in SE Asia or they will be as expensive as in Europe? I prefer 'true' Levis...)

Thanks in advance for any comment or advice!
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 05:02 AM

1. Sept in the middle of the typhoon season in HK. There's also the chance, but you can never tell right now. And by late Sept, it's not as hot and humid there as in July or August. Generally good weather.

2. You can pretty much wear whatever you want in HK, but you might find yourself out of place in the 5* hotels and fancier restaurants in shorts.

4. HK, I believe has the lowest official price in Apple products in the world, just slightly cheaper than the US. Cameras are also fairly cheap, but still more than the US.
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

rkkwan, thanks!

Sorry, I forgot a point 5 about safety. How safe are these places? My only asian experience is Japan. It looks to me that Singapore is a safe city, maybe comparable to Tokyo.
But I have also read about pickpocketing and purse snatching in Kuala Lumpur. Any comment on this?
Thank you
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 07:37 AM

I just returned from Dubai a few days ago and it was hot, hot, hot and very humid. I hope by the time you get there it will be better!

Shopping wise prices were not that great for electronics and cameras. I looked at some camera lenses and the new Kinect for Xbox and they were higher than in Thailand but I did find very good deals for clothes at Bloomingdale and other shops in the Dubai Mall.

Are you doing the Emirates complementary stopover thing?
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 07:43 AM

Our experience (last March) was that Apple products, the iPad in particular, were more expensive in HK than in the US.
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 08:39 AM

I can't speak for Dubai, but the other cities are remarkably safe - much safer than US or European cities. There can be pickpockets or purse snatchings anywhere. Use common sense.

Long, light pants will be cooler than shorts. Remember that the sun is very intense and covering your skin against the sun is a good idea. That said, you'll be climbing the huge stairs of temples at Angkor, and you might prefer shorts. Long shorts are fine there, as these are temple ruins as opposed to active temples. Still, be respectful. There are Buddha images in some of the temples tended by monks or nuns.

I wouldn't take long-sleeved t shirts - too hot. Light button-front cotton or linen shirts will be coolest. And short sleeves are fine. Do make sure you use repellant in Cambodia. There is malarial risk in the area. Dengue is an issue as well, and dengue is present in cities like KL and even Singapore.

Do you have any flexibility in your schedule? You only have three nights (two full days) at Angkor, and it takes three full days just to see the so-called major temples. I'd take a night from KL and add it to Angkor, if that is possible. KL is the least interesting of the Asian cities you are visiting, though I expect it is more interesting than Dubai.

Do buy a copy of Dawn Rooney's book, Angkor: A guide to Cambodia's Wondrous Temples before you go so you are prepared for Angkor.
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Hanuman, I take note of your comment about clothes at Dubai Mall.
I'm flying with Qatar Airways, but adding a stop on my way back to Barcelona didn't increase significantly the rate, even if this stop was not Doha.

Kathie, thank you for you advice on clothing and on safety. I will take shirts.
As for Angkor, I will have 3 effective days, as I arrive at Siem Reap airport at 8.00 AM (early flight from KL). If I can not do a full day visit on my arrival, at least I will try to start my visit after having lunch.
I'm going to look for the Dawn Rooney's book on Amazon.
Just let me ask: how did you visit Angkor?
Did you take a guide, plus a tuk-tuk or a car? By yourself or through a hotel?
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 01:35 PM

We did not use a guide at Angkor, but I had been reading about Angkor for many years. We did carry Dawn Rooney's book with us. We used a car and driver, arranged through our hotel.

Whether to use a guide depends on how much you already know about Angkor and whether you like to have a guide or not. You can also choose to have a guide one day and not use a guide other days. Up to you.

We liked to be able to cool off in the air conditioning of the car between temples. Some people prefer a tuk tuk. We live in Seattle so are not accustomed to the heat.
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Kathie, I just started to read in deep about Angkor.
I had a vague idea, basically after reading some travel magazine articles. So I think it's a good investment for me to take a guide, at least one day. I didn't think of a car as a heat relief, but it's a good idea.

Travislee, thank you for your comments about Singapore.
When you say "incredibly cheap and ridiculously overpriced for tourists"... in general, are products labelled?
I followed your link, but I saw more computer prices than consumer electronics. In any case, I not pressed by buying a camera. Just in case I find a good offer...
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 09:09 AM

I think travis is an advertiser, so I'd take his recommendations with a grain of salt.
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 02:23 PM

Okay, so iPads are basically the same price in HK and the US, not including sales tax. 16GB iPad2 (wi-fi only) is HK$3,488, which is exactly $499. 64GB with 3G is $6,488, or US$832, compared to $829 here.

Cheapest MacBook Air is HK$7,688, or US$986.77, compared to US$999.99 here.

Basically, Apple price their products the same as in the US, but to the nearest HK$88. Everything is $xx88.
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

rkkwan, thank you for your detailed comparison.
I'm not really looking for iThings, but I don't discard that some friends could be interested in this.
Old Aug 27th, 2011, 08:59 PM

Regarding safety, the only place you listed that I had a concern was KL. When we went we'd never flag down a taxi on the street or use one that was just sitting awaiting a fare. We'd either call them ourselves or have the hotel (or wherever we were leaving) call us a taxi and they'd provide the license plate number. Maybe we'd have a similar concern with Ankor at night, but we never ventured out without a driver.

Regarding clothing, we used to live in Singapore and we pretty much only wore shorts unless we went to a nice restaurant or a religious place -- which actually sums up how we approach dressing anywhere we go. It used to be that you could not enter the lobby of the Raffles Hotel in shorts, but you could enter the complex and go to the Long Bar and *some* of the restaurants. Dubai is going to be really your only concern regarding potentially offending locals when out in public in general showing shoulders and knees. I recall there being a law or something to address offensive clothing and behavior? We wore shorts around the resort, but dressed more conservatively otherwise. I'd suggest you send an email to your hotel in Dubai. We didn't go to any mosques in KL (and wore shorts except for to nice restaurants), but when we went to religious places in Indonesia both men and women threw on a sarong and wore shirts that covered our shoulders. I'd probably *assume* the same for such sites in Malaysia. I honestly can't even remember what we wore at Ankor but we usually wear short sleeve shirts (DH never wears sleeveless and I don't usually) but I just can't remember...

You've chosen some interesting places to visit. Have fun!
Old Aug 29th, 2011, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

nagiffag, thank you! Your comments are very useful.
I won't be wearing shorts all the time (especially because I see long trousers as an extra protection against mosquitoes), but just in case.
Old Aug 29th, 2011, 07:01 AM

nafiffag, was there a reason you had safety concerns in KL? I've been there several times and never had a concern. We flagged down taxis wherever and never had a bad experience.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 08:18 AM

the crime rate is rather high in KL compared to HK or singapore.

Shoppingwise, for branded stuff & IT stuff, hk is the cheapest, follow by singapore then malaysia. Not sure about dubai.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 12:58 PM

we spent a couple days in KL and enjoyed every one of them. We especially enjoyed our jungle trek at a FRIM, a nearby botanical jungle with canopy walks. it was a beautiful park. Our driver waited for us at the other side of the park 4 hours later where we assumed we would leave the trail. We arranged this idea with the help of a good map we were given at the entrance and the staff assured our driver that was where we would come out. Once you find a taxi driver who speaks good enough English and has a personality you like, keep him.

There are a couple fun sky bars in KL. I think they are a must to go at night. Check dress codes. I remember one of them did not allow sandals.

I'm going to dig up my trip report because I think it will make you not worry but KL at all.

Have a great trip.

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...and-penang.cfm

Re Dubai. What I enjoyed about Dubai was the delicious food, gorgeous interiors of the many hotel complexes and their sky bars i had researched to go into. The desert dunes tour is NOT to be missed.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 01:14 PM

excellent comments above

theangkorguide.net good Angkor guide

from personal experience... a must do largest complex in Asia

Guatemala El Mirador largest in the world

weather2travel.com climate guides good tips

monsoon season brings rain humidity heat usually...

Personally try to travel in winter