Reload this Page >

Advice on Hong Kong Hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 01:41 PM
Todd Jarvis

I am travelling to Hong Kong next week with my friend for one week. We just made reservations at a Hotel that is on Morrison Hill Road, which appears to be between Causeway Bay and Wan Chai. However, I know nothing about Hong Kong and if this is not a good location, I am going to cancel and change reservations. Has anyone ever been to Hong Kong who can tell me where the best place to stay is? We are two young men in our twenties, who can afford anything less than $100/ a night. Thank you.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 05:50 PM
John G

I have been to HK 3 times and I have stayed at the Pen (Peninsula) twice and at the Plaza Harbour Hung Hom once. I loved the Pen, but it was $375 a night for a single room. The PHHH was about $200 a night for a single room. Wan Chi district is a good, central place to stay. I have very cheap English relatives who like to stay there when in HK. The great thing about HK is that you can take the Starr Ferry everywhere so location is not that a big deal.<BR><BR>I know you want a cheap room, but to me, it is worth staying in a more expensive hotel that gives you a room with a harbour view. You will have a lifetime of memories of the beautiful Victoria Harbour all lit up at night from your hotel room. But, maybe you don't care about such things.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 05:52 AM
ryan

Todd,<BR>I can't tell you what the quality is like, but there is a YMCA hostel in Kowloon about a 5 minute walk from the Star Ferry. The YMCA is just to the right of the Peninsula Hotel, one of the best in the city. You might be able to get a room with a great view for significantly less than it would cost next door.<BR>

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Les

Having stayed at the Saslisbury YMCA (mentioned by Ryan above), and I CAN tell you what the quality is like. The Y is an amazing bargain, with modern (if somewhat small) rooms with all the amenities you'd expect from a nice hotel. If you can get a harbor view room on a high floor (16th floor is highest), you won't be disappointed. Although lacking the fancy lobby of it's neighbors (including the Pen, right next door), it has all the services you'd want (the concierge desk is very efficient at getting you where you want to go in the most convenient way, and was NEVER without good advice). The breakfast was one of the better ones that I've experienced in China. Checkin was quick and efficient. The location is as good as it gets. Our room (16th floor, harbor view, king size bed) cost $175 U.S., including tax and breakfast.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Les

Having stayed at the Saslisbury YMCA (mentioned by Ryan above), and I CAN tell you what the quality is like. The Y is an amazing bargain, with modern (if somewhat small) rooms with all the amenities you'd expect from a nice hotel. If you can get a harbor view room on a high floor (16th floor is highest), you won't be disappointed. And as mentioned in an earlier post, a harbor view adds significantly to the experience. Although lacking the fancy lobby of it's neighbors (including the Pen, right next door), it has all the services you'd want (the concierge desk is very efficient at getting you where you want to go in the most convenient way, and was NEVER without good advice). The breakfast was one of the better ones that I've experienced in China. Check-in was quick and efficient. The location is as good as it gets. Our room (16th floor, harbor view, king size bed) cost $175 U.S., including tax and breakfast.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 08:12 AM
Les

Oops! Please excuse the double posting above. This site (and ONLY this site)has been giving my computer the hiccups lately, and never indicated that my original posings were received.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 11:52 AM
plummie

I strongly second the suggestion of the Salisbury "Y" - great location and great views from the harbor side higher floors. They also have some dorm-type rooms for the traveler who's really on a budget.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 10:22 PM
Joe

Todd,<BR>Seems like the location is all right. It does require a bit of walking, but not a lot. Close to the trams on Henessey Road. And it should takes you about 5 mins to walk to Times Square and the Causeway Shopping district, MTR, etc.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Mike Esparza

I just returned from Hong Kong and had a great time. I stayed at the Sheraton and paid $ 136/night. The location (Kowloon) is great. Next to the Pen and metro and bus lines and the Star Ferry. Good shopping is also within walking distance.The hotel itself was top notch. Sheratons in Asia tend to be top of the line and in good shape, unlike some I've seen in the U.S. Other hotels right in that area are Holiday Inn, Hyatt(Kowloon), Mariners & The Marco Polo Hotels.The're right at the tip of Kowloon Peninsula across the Harbour from Hong Kong. What a spectacular view there is of downtown Hong Kong, at night, from across the harbor. Just Awesome. The truth is that Hong Kong is so densely poplulated and the transportation system so good that it's hard to get a bad location. I did notice the YMCA and it had a great water front location next to the Peninsula in Kowloon. It looked upscale for a YMCA.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Bill A

I would stay on Kowloon, close to Nathan Road and the water. The Y has one of the best locations in HK. If you mean less than $100 per person, the options are very good. Hotels that fit the bill are the Holiday Inn Golden Mile (much more upscale than the US Holiday Inns), Sheraton, Hyatt, Kowloon, etc.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 06:48 AM
ryan

topping for JZ

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:16 AM
lee

Grand Stanford Internatioal is reasonable and has a great location. It would be considered a 5 star hotel at less than 5 star prices