Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Advice on getting from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap in July (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/advice-on-getting-from-phnom-penh-to-siem-reap-in-july-625755/)

lil247 Jun 23rd, 2006 03:57 AM

Advice on getting from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap in July

This may or may not be late, but I just booked a trip to Cambodia flying in from Taiwan on July 14th. We will spend the 14th and 15th in Phnom Penh, and I am trying to figure out the best way to quickly get to Siem Reap early on the 16th. The travel agent in Taiwan said that it would be cheapest to just buy a plane ticket once we get to PNH, but I am afraid of the flights being full? Is this a legitimate worry or should i just listen to the travel agent? Where can I look for cheap flights or other ways to go? Thanks!

JamesA Jun 23rd, 2006 04:27 AM

Siem Reap Airways has 3 flights a day, 0645, 0945 and 1750

I would not risk it, imagine the flights being full, your vacation could be ruined, I would book!

Booking are supposed to be available thru Bangkok Airways but the PNH-Siem reap(REP) doesn't work.

You can try and call Bangkok Airways Agent in Taipei ( Global Aviation )886 2 8712 2113 and see if they can do the ticket ( We cannot tell where you are from so guessing from Taipei )

If they can't then email them

[email protected]

rhkkmk Jun 23rd, 2006 05:22 AM

advance reservation

Scotters Jun 23rd, 2006 06:49 AM

Or you could take the a/c bus for the 5 hr trip on a fairly decent road and see some of the country side and smll villages. Not the quickest but more interesting than flying. Don't even consider the overpriced boat trip.

LA_FadeAway Jun 23rd, 2006 01:51 PM

I agree, the bus ride could be more interesting and cheaper than the flight, if you have the time. Don't take the boat!

Frances Jun 24th, 2006 01:31 AM

The bus travels several times a day and we booked it (in Siem Reap) the day before. It was fairly trouble free except that it was found to have a puncture when we stopped for a planned break. This did not hold us up unduly and I seem to remember we arrived in Phnom Penh just about on time.

lil247 Jun 25th, 2006 07:23 AM

Thank you all for the advice! I just emailed Siem Reap Airways for a rate, but I am curious to know a bit more about taking the bus. I was going to stay at the Billabong Hotel in PP. Is the bus stop anywhere close to the hotel? Should I cancel my airport transfers with Billabong if I only need a one way to the hotel? Does the bus run in the early morning hours? Thanks again!

Frances Jun 25th, 2006 11:51 AM

I just had to check this info with my daughter who spent three months in Phnom Penh.
It depends which bus company you travel with. we came in from Siem reap on the Mekong Express which I think was the most expensive. We chose it because it had the latest departure time from Siem Reap.It arrived at a location on the riverside just below the Japanese Bridge. When we arrived we took a tuk-tuk to our hotel ( The Bouganvillias) for about $1.
If you travel with GST or Sorya they go from a bus station near the Central Market. We left from there and again got a tuk-tuk from the Bouganvillias for about $2. Whilst I don't know the bus timetable we were leaving Siem Reap on the latest bus at about 8a.m. Maybe you can presume that the buses travelling in the opposite direction also leave early? On the other hand maybe you can't?
We think we prebooked a taxi to the airport in Phnom Penh for $8.It is not very far from the city - about 20 -30 minutes depending on traffic.

Scotters Jun 25th, 2006 01:24 PM

The best bus is the Mekong Express for room and comfort and it has a bathroom. Leaves PP at 7.30am and 12.30pm. Cost $9. They will come and pick you up at your hotel if you call them. The hotel should be able to arrange this for you. By the way the Billabong is what I call a nice upmarket guesthouse, decent rooms (splurge and get the deluxe around $54), good location, friendly service and okay pool.

lil247 Jun 26th, 2006 01:54 AM

Thanks for the quick responses! I think we will opt for the Mekong Express 7:30 bus ride and see some of the countryside as well as save money. The hotel pickup is good to know about! We will be in Siem Reap in time for lunch!