Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Advice needed on Bangkok Air for a 12-day trip from BKK-SR-VTE-Plain of Jars-LP-BKK

Advice needed on Bangkok Air for a 12-day trip from BKK-SR-VTE-Plain of Jars-LP-BKK

Jan 18th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Advice needed on Bangkok Air for a 12-day trip from BKK-SR-VTE-Plain of Jars-LP-BKK

I am going to be in SE Asia for a month. I have signed up for a tour of Northern Thailand. I am also going by myself. I was thinking of doing the Bankkok Airpass from Bangkok to Siem Reap (3 days) then flying to Vientiane (5 days) then to Phonsavanh (overnight) then to LP for (3 days) then back to BKK.

Since I am a woman traveling alone, I am worried about taking busses around Laos. Do you guys think this is too much for 12 days? I get to rest in BK for 4 days before starting my tour. Let me know what you think. thanks.
Jan 18th, 2007, 02:06 PM

Is there a particular reason you want to spend 5 days in Vientiane? It's a spot where people usually spend only a couple of days. I'd add a day to Siem Reap and a day or two to Luang Prabang. You'll likely be happier if you move more slowly.
Jan 18th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

well i was orginally planning to stay 3 days in VTE and 2 1/2 days in Phonsvang, but I have friends and an aunt that lives near VTE so decided to spend more time there.

I would like to stay longer in LP but I was worried about running out of things to do. Plus I wanted to do some shopping in BKK.

However, I was really wondering if $459 for airfare (including taxes) alone would be worth it. I have built time to relax in these 3 days at each city. Yet, I don't want to overdo it as its already a tight schedule with connections.
Jan 18th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Kathy:

This is the tenative itinerary.

2/6 arrive in BKK
2/8 fly to SR
2/11 fly to VTE
2/16 fly to Phonsvangh
2/17 fly to LP
2/20 fly to BKK

then rest until 2/25 where I will join a tour group up to Northern Thailand unil 3/4. flying back to US on 3/6.

Will the first two weeks be too much?
Jan 18th, 2007, 02:47 PM

That's a very full schedule. For, me it wouldn't be a satisfying trip because you really have to slow down to appreciate places like LP. And you don't have enough time in Siem Reap, in my opinion.
Jan 18th, 2007, 08:31 PM

the first two days really will be down time as you adjust to the heat and humidity and the jet lague....so don't plan to do much then...

about 1/2 day is consumed with each city change, so some of your stops will be very short...

generally 2 days is the max for VTE for most people...

there is plenty to do in LP for 3 days...

the airfares are expensive quite honestly, so why not slow down a bit...maybe drop SR or LP?? a bad place to drop but maybe...

Search this Thread