Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Advice needed for Ko Samui beach & hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/advice-needed-for-ko-samui-beach-and-hotel-561539/)

Lusya Sep 29th, 2005 07:01 AM

Advice needed for Ko Samui beach & hotel

Hello!
I am planning a trip to Ko Samui in the beginning of February and looking for a nice 4-5 star resort (up to $150/night) that sits on a beautiful sandy beach, peaceful and not crowded, however I'd like to be close enough to Chaweng to be able to go there at night for dinner.
Could you please recommend something that would fit this description?
Thank you!

SJLBK Sep 29th, 2005 01:23 PM

I would go to sawadee.com and check out the hotels on Choengmon beach. It is the beach north of Chaweng, and a quick cab ride away. The beach is supposedly pretty nice, but southern Chaweng is the best beach on the island. The trade-off of staying on Chaweng, though, is that it is busy.

Choengmon has a handful of hotels, from truly upper scale to more affordable. It is supposed to be nice and quiet, but with enough restaurants of its own to be charming. Off the top of my head, I think the Imperial Boathouse might be what you are looking for, and in your price range. We are staying at the Sala Samui on that beach, but I think it is more expensive.

Sawadee.com is a great place to compare hotels and get good reviews. After I narrow down my choices to a few, I go over to tripadvisor.com and read the reviews there too.

Hope this helps!

Lusya Sep 30th, 2005 06:53 AM

Thank you very much, SJLBK!
I checked out the information about Choengmon beach, and it does sound like something I was looking for.
I think I'll be booking either Imperial BoatHouse or The White House.
I actually tried to book Sala Samui, but it looks like it's already completely booked for February.:(
Again, thank you very much for your help!

gbjoce1 Sep 30th, 2005 07:16 AM

Imperial Boathouse is a nice hotel, our room was super don't know what the others are like.It has everything you need, facilities, lovely gardens etc although I found it a bit more unfriendly than other places we stayed....Certainly on a lovely beach and a pleasant place to stay but I would consider others. We stayed at some super places during our 6 weeks travelling around but the Imperial Boathouse was my least favourite and some of the quests were very full of themselves!

Lusya Sep 30th, 2005 09:01 AM

Thank you, gbjoce1!
So what didn't you like about Imperial Boathouse? Was the room clean?
How was the bathroom? What do you mean by them being unfriendly? Did you stay at any other places at Ko Samui?
I would really appreciate your feedback.
Thank you!

gbjoce1 Sep 30th, 2005 09:29 AM

The room was lovely, very clean,fresh flowers, beautiful bathroom etc. I could not fault the hotel for its standards and facilites. It was just compared to the other hotels we stayed at in different parts of Thailand the staff were more unfriendly. The guests just seemed......well. arrogant..Humm..maybe that is why the staff seemed unfriendly!!!!! To me it just lacked the friendly, relaxed and helpful attitude we found elsewhere. But that is a very personal opinion, but we both felt it was the one hotel we probaly would not return to.