Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   advice mumbai hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/advice-mumbai-hotels-474298/)

boyfromoz Sep 14th, 2004 10:19 PM

advice mumbai hotels

hi people,
anyone got feedback re nice mumbai hotels
eg. le meridien, intercontinental, sheraton
hyatt, taj etc.
cheers

Cicerone Sep 15th, 2004 01:09 AM

The Taj is in a great location for sightseeing and views of Marine Drive and the sea. It has apparently been redone and is supposed to be very nice indeed, it had a good base to start with a needed a redo which it apparently got. I think I would pick that first. Next and very close would be the Oberoi, which is a bit more luxurious (but not having yet seen the redone rooms at the Taj it is hard to say). Rooms are very large and have good views. Pool area is nice. It is not in quite as convenient a location, but not really inconvenient, and they have a nice shopping center. The Obeoi Towers is adjacent to the hotel and is more of a 4 star, but perfectly nice.

Other than those two, the only other hotel in town which I know is the Marriott which is very nice but is not quite as conveniently located for tourist bits. There is not a whole lot to see and do in Mumbai, IMO, but the great views of the sea, the wonderful gothic revival train station, India Gate, etc are all around the Taj Hotel making it the better location.

hobbes Sep 15th, 2004 03:00 AM

The Meridien, Sheraton and Hyatt are all international airport locations along with the Leela. They are all new properties - none of them (except the Leela) will be more than 3 years old. Of the 3 the Sheraton is my favourite (great restaurants too!) but I agree with Cicerone - I would not stay there unless proximity to the international airport was the overiding reason. The Taj has a gorgeous location but in the past the best past of the hotel that is the "old wing" was a little run down and more importantly not well serviced by elevators so room service could take you 30 mins (no exaggeration). The new wing has rookms which are small and unexceptional so for business travel people preferred the Oberoi. The New Oberoi which is also called just "The Oberoi" has great, well equipped rooms with fantastic views of the sea and Marine Drive. I have not see rooms in the Taj old wing since renovations were completed. IMO there is little to choose between the Taj and the Oberoi and if you are there on work IMO the Oberoi scores a bit for location as it is at the end of Marine Drive while the short half km distance between the Oberoi and Taj has 3 traffic lights and 1 round about and in traffic time can take 10 mins. The Taj also has a second Mumbai property, the Taj Lands End in the suburbs. The Intercontinental is also located right on Marine Drive with a fabulos view of the sea - I have not seen the rooms. IT has less restaurants than either the Oberoi or Taj and IMO ranks lower than both on location.

ladbroke Sep 16th, 2004 09:27 AM

I'm currently sitting in my room at the Hilton Towers, Nariman Point. It's pretty good. It's very geared towards business travellers, which is fine in my case as I'm here for business. There's even wireless broadband though it's pretty dicey and keeps cutting out. The service is great, very friendly, and the restaurants are excellent especially India Jones. The rates seem pretty good at least by London standards.

Kenstee Sep 16th, 2004 04:19 PM

The Taj is top-notch. The old wing has in fact been redone and is wonderful. Much nicer rooms and environment than the new wing. Service is excellent and truly 24/7! And they have wireless Net access throughout the entire hotel. I love the location right on the water.

I believe there are 3 Taj hotels in Mumbai so make sure you are arranging the proper one. It's referred to as the "Taj" or the "Taj Mahal."

celeste60 Sep 26th, 2004 12:46 PM

I travel to mumbai at least once a year and have always stayed at the taj or oberoi towers(the 4 star one)This january we stayed at The Oberoi and I was not impressed with the room or service. We had paid over $300 a night for our room and the rooms they showed us were terrible. After looking at 4 rooms we finally got a room with an ocean view. We stayed here for two days and went to Jaipur, when we returned we changed our hotel to the Taj and for $250 a night which included buffet breakfast We got a beautiful room in the old wing. The bathroom was the size of our room at The Oberoi.

I have also stayed at the Oberoi Towers and think the rooms are good and most of the rooms have great view. The room service is also excellent and the price is lowe than the taj or The Oberoi.