Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   advice for travelling SEA solo (as a girl) (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/advice-for-travelling-sea-solo-as-a-girl-1149964/)

suz901 Nov 10th, 2016 08:59 AM

advice for travelling SEA solo (as a girl)

Hi
About three weeks ago I started a backpacking trip around Southeast Asia in Thailand. I met a group of girls and we have been travelling together. However I haven't been enjoying the experience as much as I would like because the group are more about the partying all night scene and sleeping all day, and that is not why I chose to travel, I'm more about the culture and finding myself experience . So I've naturally spent quite a bit of time doing stuff on my own and am wondering whether I should go it alone. Although we've only travelled for three weeks together , I would feel bad leaving the group but feel I am wasting my trip waiting on them. I am also apprehensive about solo travel. I like my own company but am worried about getting lonely or being unsafe. Would it be ok as a 24yr old girl to go it alone or am I better off sticking with the group? Advice greatly appreciated! Thanks !

MmePerdu Nov 10th, 2016 09:32 AM

At 24, you're a young woman, not a girl. I point this out only to remind you that if you've gotten this far you should have no problem whatever going it alone, provided you use your good woman sense. I was glad to see that you aren't in fact, a "girl" and I urge you to take control and have the experience you know you want, not that of the others. You need not feel bad, thank the others for the time you've spent with them and off you go! No excuses necessary. You'll meet other people and, when you don't, you'll have the luxury of doing what you want, when & where you want to do them.

janisj Nov 10th, 2016 10:05 AM

I personally think you'd be safer (and probably have more fun doing thing you want) traveling solo than w/ a group of party hardy girls. (and I used the term 'girl' on purpose)

Kathie Nov 10th, 2016 11:19 AM

I agree you can go it alone. Hanging with a group doing things that don't interest you and keep you from exploring what you want is actually less safe than traveling alone. Strike out on your own! You will find people to talk with, share a meal with, maybe even travel with for a short time. But if you are doing the things you want to do, you will find people who share your interests.

Guenmai Nov 10th, 2016 11:57 AM

First of all you're not a "girl". You're a 24-year-old woman. And as for what I would do, I'd definitely do it alone, but it's not for me to decide what you should do.

I've been traveling the world ALONE over 90% of the time, since I was a high school teenager and that was back starting in 1973. I've done all of the continents and basically alone since then.

I look at it as my vacation and I don't need someone else possibly messing it up. I've had a few, travel experiences of people tagging along on one of my planned trips and the trip ending up a mess. But, when I'm in the process of planning my trips, I plan them all to travel alone. I sometimes will have someone tag along if he/she wants to come, but they know that we will not be together 24/7 and most of my really close friends know that and are the same way, so it works out.

I'm on one to three overseas trips a year and one to two domestic ones a year so I'm out traveling a lot and have had a lot of experience doing solo travel over many decades. I'll leave again for 6-plus weeks of solo, Asia travel.

Good luck to you and only you can decide what you think is best for you or what you feel the most comfortable doing.

Happy Travels!

marmot Nov 10th, 2016 06:08 PM

You'll be fine on your own (and probably safer than you would be with the party-all-night set). You just have to structure your day so that you get some interaction with other travelers in your demographic.

There are lots of ways to meet like minded people when you are traveling solo. Attend a class -- yoga, cooking, whatever interests you. Join a group -- G Adventures or the like. Volunteer at an English language school or an animal shelter. When you meet someone you like, make a plan for the next day -- a meal, a hike, a cultural event, sundowners on the beach.

There's something about the hours around sunset that compel the human animal to seek out others to share experiences. Have a plan so that you'll be in a social setting around that time.

Safety in Asia (and most of the world) is 90% common sense. Choose your home base carefully and don't get into isolated one-on-one situations with strangers. When things go wrong late nights, alcohol and drugs are common elements. But it sounds like you've already figure that out. You'll be fine

kja Nov 10th, 2016 06:20 PM

You've already gotten some wonderful advice, with which I concur. I (solo female) definitely feel safer alone and prefer solo travel. You might find some inspiration in the following thread:
http://www.fodors.com/community/trav...collection.cfm

Hope that helps!

PFSHero Nov 11th, 2016 01:27 AM

Hello, suz901! It's really sad to leave some friends especially if you have been together already for three weeks. However, you won't get to experience what you want in your trip if you are in an uncomfortable situation. I think you should leave the group and go on your own. You shouldn't be feeling bad for them for as long as you tell them honestly why you are leaving. Thank them for welcoming and accompanying you to the group. Don't be worried about getting lonely because you will surely meet other people along with the same interests as yours. You are old enough to distinguish the things that are safe or not, in my humble opinion.

Follow what you want and I am sure you will be having a great travel experience!

Have a great day :)