Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   A wow spot (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/a-wow-spot-1025434/)

zoso Sep 13th, 2014 02:18 PM

A wow spot

Hi Folks,
So,as I've said this is my 6 th yr returning to SE Asia.But, I'm a creature of habit.I tend to go back to the same country's but, add at least 3new adventures or country.Booking now.

So, where would u keep returning to besides BKK?A must see, knock your socks off wow
Type of place or adventure?Does not have to be in a Thailand.
Many Thanks,
Ellen

Kathie Sep 13th, 2014 02:23 PM

Burma/Myanmar. The whole country is amazing, but the most accessible wow spots are Bagan and Inle Lake. if you have the time to get to Mrauk U that's a wow as well. Photos at www.marlandc.com There are two years of photos, 2009 and 2011. We are seriously considering a return trip fro 2015.

Femi Sep 13th, 2014 04:04 PM

It's hard to say what will 'wow' you without more information. That which blows one person away, might bore another to tears. What type of experiences are you seeking?

MmePerdu Sep 14th, 2014 08:34 AM

Ellen, it seems to me useful answers are dependent on knowing where you've already been. Please advise.

rhkkmk Sep 14th, 2014 02:39 PM

bali and north india

zoso Sep 14th, 2014 06:42 PM

I've been to Bkk,Koh Samui,Pkuket,Chang Mai,Chang Rai,Yangon,Hanoi,
Laos luang probong,Siem Reap Ankor and lake area.Bali Seminyak and
Ubud.
Doesn't seem like much.

Kathie Sep 14th, 2014 07:37 PM

You have managed to see a goodly portion of SE Asia.

Some of the places I've enjoyed most in SE Asia (in addition to Burma - do go back and see more than Yangon - include Java, Indonesia; Georgetown, Penang, Malaysia; Malaysian Borneo and Sri Lanka. We also had an incredible trip to Sikkim. All of those trips on on the photo site linked in my earlier response. The photos may give you a sense of whether any of these places are for you.

MmePerdu Sep 14th, 2014 09:02 PM

Penang and Cameron Highlands make a nice combination. And I agree with the rest that Kathie mentions. Sri Lanka is the one I haven't been to yet but it's my primary destination for the next trip to Asia.

Annakute Sep 14th, 2014 09:46 PM

Hoi An-Viet Nam is a good choice :)

zoso Sep 15th, 2014 07:07 PM

What about Sapa?

sartoric Sep 15th, 2014 07:37 PM

We really enjoyed Sapa about 5 years ago.

Fantastic scenery and views can be a bit weather dependant (fog) but the gentle trek through the countryside was great. At the very least the hill tribe women provide a colourful feast for the eyes. We also had some of the best food here, chicken spring rolls which I still have not been able to equal, ditto for hot pot.

You could combine with Hoi An which is quite charming.
Also consider a night on Halong Bay, ethereal scenery, and we had very good seafood meals on our junk.

zoso Sep 15th, 2014 07:54 PM

I knew I forgot something. We did the Halong bay over night. Way to long of a drive for one night on the junk.Beautiful though. We were lucky our junk was the only boat on the bay. Very cold that week in Hanoi.

zoso Sep 15th, 2014 07:55 PM

Borneo Kathie?

Kathie Sep 16th, 2014 06:09 AM

Yes, Sabah and Sarawak. We loved both and intend to go back.

zoso Sep 16th, 2014 07:15 PM

Great Ideas. Keep them coming...