Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

A month in just China or China & Vietnam?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2019, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks to all of you who have helped me think about our next Asian trip. We've since agreed that the trip will include Beijing and Hong Kong and I'm thinking that we will likely go sometime around April 2020. I'm not wedded to this time but would like to go on a trip in the springtime and not wait till the fall. One thing I'm aware of is that weather will vary considerably from one region to the next, so finding a comfortable balance is important.

Any thoughts, feelings, opinions, recommendations, suggestions, are welcome! If there is something important to be aware of, then I'd really appreciate knowing ahead of time.

Interests - historical, cultural, scenic. A mixture of rural and city is something I try to do. In Asia, we've been to India twice, Sri Lanka, SE Asia (Thailand, Luang Prabang/Laos, Siem Reap/Cambodia).
Age - mid-60s & early 70s.
Energy Level - moderate, although not able to do extensive hiking. Walking is fine.

Initially, my thoughts were a combination of China & Vietnam. Very broadly, it would look like this:
-Beijing
-Xian (?) - this is up in the air. Neither of us like crowds and being rushed, so it's not essential, though it's still an option.
-Hong Kong
-Hoi An
-Hue
Bai Tu Long
Ninh Binh
Hanoi

But I've made the mistake (!) of reading some wonderful trip reports on south/southwest China (thanks, KarenWoo, AtlTravelr, LvL*) and am now thinking that we might stick to China only as Yunnan & Guangxi also offer many similar kinds of experiences.
(*There are other reports I haven't had a chance to read yet, and promise to read soon!)

I'm now considering (again, very broad strokes) a trip to China only, as follows:
-Beijing
-Xian (?)
-Lijiang/Yunnan Province
-Yangshuo/Guilin (Guangxi)
-Longsheng rice terraces (?) - possible, may be too far out of the way and we'll have enough
-Hong Kong

Looking forward to hearing from you -- anyone who has been to both, please do feel free to chime in! What did you prefer? Others, what did you like the most or the least?

Many thanks, as always!
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 09:24 AM
kja

I think China only would make a lot of sense as there is so very much to see there. If you do that (or if you visit Beijing under either scenario), you might want to put Beijing at the end and try to push your trip into May a bit, as Beijing is often subject to choking dust storms during April. I must admit, though, that I'm not sure how readily you would be able to see "rural" regions of China. I trust others will weigh in on that.

BTW, the Terracotta Warriers can be very busy, especially once tour buses reach them, but there's much more to Xi'an and I would suspect that you can still visit some of its corners without crowds or rushing.

Hope that helps!
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, kja, I appreciate your taking the time to write. In many ways, I think the 2 trips would be similar to plan and coordinate, and even, I suspect, to experience in some ways. I don’t think either trip includes “deep rural” areas, but both have areas that are away from very urban settings and have scenic vistas in less urban locations,

I appreciate your comments about the dust storms in Beijing. As far as Xi’an, we’d go there if we do plan on seeing the Terracotta Warriors, but I am aware that there are other sights there, too.

Old Apr 6th, 2019, 01:32 PM

I'm sorry. But you say that you don't like crowds and yet are willing to travel so far and spend so much $$ to confront streets, buses, subway cars, roadways, restaurants, toilets all jammed, totally jammed, with sweaty, gritty persons not you.
Do try Tahiti to satisfy your needs.
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, jobin. Not really helpful. There’s a balance to it all. But I’m not going to try to justify or explain my thinking. Clearly we are just in very early planning here.
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 03:36 PM
kja

I would be very surprised if you can't find a few quiet corners even in cities as large and full of people as Beijing.
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Truly, we are able to manage large cities and lots of people! We live in NYC! It’s not that we want or need peace and quiet! I was, perhaps unwisely, responding to reports of crowds that I read about at the Terracotta Warriors on another Fodors thread. It referred to unpleasant experiences of being pushed around. My husband had also been told there were time limits at the site for seeing the warriors, and that had also turned him off. I don’t know if that is accurate or not.

We would most likely visit, though, as it is a remarkable archeological treasure.
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 05:42 PM
kja

OMG, the terra-cotta warriors are amazing! Truly astonishing, IMO. I'm sure there are now crowds for most, if not all, of the day, but they are among the sites that for me, would be worth a bit of pushing and shoving. YMMV.
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 06:30 PM

I agree with kja that you should include Xi'an. It is one of the most fascinating places I have even been. The wonderful concierge at the Hyatt there arranged an "East Line" and a "West Line" tour for us. Each tour, done privately with his best driver, took an entire day. The terra-cotta warriors were one of several sites one day, and I don't think the crowds were awful at all. We were there in the middle of the day in the summer. There are several pits for viewing, and the platforms go around the perimeter of each pit, hence there is plenty of room for viewing. Bring some binoculars, as each warrior is unique, in terms of facial characteristics, etc. We also spent a day climbing Huashan, which is a beautiful mountain. I recommend you research it, and see if there are some areas there that don't require hiking, and where you can walk around and see the beautiful scenery. The food is also wonderful in Xi'an because of the Muslim influence. Many dishes include lamb, and the flavors are different than any other Chinese food that you may have eaten.

I would tend to advise you to see China for the full month, and save South East Asia for another trip. I spent almost a month in SEA on my first trip, flying into Hanoi, working my way west, and departing from Bangkok. I could have easily spent much more time there.

Regarding China, I have always wanted to see the Yunan province area, as I believe it has maintained some culture there. There are many other alternatives, such as visiting some of the Silk Road. You can also include the pandas at Chengdu. We found Shanghai moderately interesting as well. Oh, and don't forget Tibet. So you see, there are many possibilities.
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 08:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
No doubt you know SE Asia can be unbearably hot in April. My info is very dated but we really enjoyed Guilin and Yunnan that month and the weather was stellar. April is also when the Third Moon Fair fair usually occurs in Dali. It was an amazing spectacle!
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, folks!

I do lean toward staying in China for the entire month. And you’ve all convinced me that going to Xi’an and seeing the Terracotta warriors is a definite.

Thanks for the the feedback on the rest of the trip. Nelson, the info about the weather is especially helpful as that is something I’m trying to be mindful of.

CalifLady, thanks for the suggestions. I’m trying hard not to include too many other regions and keeping a balance in seeing large cities and smaller regions (Guilin, Lijiang). And as you suggest, so many options in China! it was simply that Vietnam had been my initial interest (we were already in other areas of SE Asia) and somehow, the trip has morphed to being about China! DH had made clear he wanted to see Beijing, and it grew from there. I guess we’ll go Vietnam on another trip ��

thanks, kja, for continuing to chime in!
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 06:00 AM

I have never seen "time limits" at any attraction in China.
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, CanadaChinaTraveller,
I don't see any reference to this, either. Clearly, the friend who gave him this information was incorrect, or he misunderstood.

I'm now pretty focused on a trip next year, with plans to go to Beijing, Hong Kong, Xian and a good part of the trip will be focused on the Southwest, especially Yunnan Province. As I start really making concrete plans, I know I'll be back with more questions!

Thanks all!
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 01:59 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We have been to China three times, Vietnam once.
The China trips were to three different areas of the country. We entered and exited the country through Beijing and Shanghai and enjoy both of these cities.
I will give you some off the beaten path suggestions.
The place that was less crowded, no pollution at all, and the freshest food you could ever have was in Yunnan ( with the exception of Lijiang, crowded, very touristy). If you do end up in Lijiang, try to get away from the main shopping areas. I noticed a hotel up on ridge above town which would also give you good views of the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain.
We loved the Dali area and stayed nearby in Xizhou. Bright green farm fields, foothills of the Himalayas rising behind them. The Bai minority people live there. The Sky Heritage Hotel was lovely, a restored courtyard home of a landowner.
Another wonderful city to visit is Dunhuang in the Gobi Desert where the Mogao Caves are located. The art filled historic caves are fascinating and the town is very nice too. We flew there from Beijing.
I would have recommended the Xingjiang province in the far west, the Muslim Uighur area but with China’s human rights violations there I would not go now.
Ot would be so easy to fill a month in China with wonderful sites and experiences.
Two weeks in Vietnam would be perfect too. We hope to return there for it’s beauty and incredible food.
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

HappyTrvlr,
Thank you! It’s the Yunnan province that really caught my attention for its beauty and the cultural uniqueness. I was initially planning to travel 2 weeks in Vietnam, and about the same in China, visiting HK, Xi’an and Beijing.

I haven’t eliminated Vietnam as an option, but am leaning much more to staying entirely in China. I’ll have to look up the other regions you mention - but I think we’ve got a month’s trip already filled in!
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 04:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
We loved the Dali area and stayed nearby in Xizhou. Bright green farm fields, foothills of the Himalayas rising behind them. The Bai minority people live there. The Sky Heritage Hotel was lovely, a restored courtyard home of a landowner.
Here's a coincidence: we stayed there too! But it's not like there were a ton of places to stay. I looked at my scanned slides from 1988 and it looks for sure like the same place, though it's received a major face lift since then. They served little worms from the lake for breakfast and dinner.

We also loved staying in Xizhou, I think we were there for six nights. Beautiful and fascinating place, really friendly people. Will never forget those delicious breads they baked in the markets.
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Nelson, how funny is that you stayed in the same place in 1988! I imagine there have been many changes over the years, but it does sound like Yunnan has still retained much of its tradition and (for lack of a better word) authenticity. I don’t know that I want works for breakfast or dinner, though!

The more I read about the region, the more it intrigues and excites me. Thanks again for sharing your memories!