Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   A good cheap place to stay in Bangkok? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/a-good-cheap-place-to-stay-in-bangkok-587464/)

bgough Feb 1st, 2006 08:26 PM

A good cheap place to stay in Bangkok?

I am going to be in Thailand this summer for about two weeks and I am on a budget. I was wondering if anyone knows of any decent cheap hotels that are <US$30 or if anyone had any sugestions for hostels in the city. I was also looking to travel to eaither Phuket or Pattaya and was wondering if anyone had any ideas for places to stay there. Also would you recomend making a reservation before I leave or just wing it when I get there?

Thanks a bunch.

rhkkmk Feb 1st, 2006 08:34 PM

look at this website: www.huahin.20m.com

eurotraveller Feb 1st, 2006 08:44 PM

I haven't even been to Bangkok but a very highly recommended place in Bangkok for cheap sleeps with nice rooms is Suk 11. Google for it and it will come up.

Good luck!

simpsonc510 Feb 1st, 2006 08:55 PM

Patumwan House in Bangkok is a great place for about $30-35/night. It is a serviced apartment hotel near the famous MBK shopping mall and the National Stadium skytrain station. It is very clean and the staff is very friendly and helpful. There is no swimming pool, but there is a small restaurant that serves good food, and it's very inexpensive.

They have a web site patumwanhouse.com which does not have any photos. I've posted hotel photos on my web site at cjscollection.com, if you go to the left side of the page and click on the photo gallery link. Then click to open the Asia album. The photos are about in the middle of this album. I just sent isismonroe (one of our posters here) and she LOVED the place. I've stayed at Patumwan House a number of times.

Carol

lcuy Feb 2nd, 2006 10:38 AM

Asia hotel is another good budget place. Big hotel, right on a Skytrain station, very close to many malls, big clean rooms although somewhat old fashioned furnishings. $36 last August.

oceania Feb 3rd, 2006 10:01 AM

In my opinion, hostels wouldn't be ideal for 2 weeks. I stayed at this guesthouse that was safe, clean and a good location and pretty cheap:

Type: Pension/Guesthouse
Address: 238 Pahurad Road, Flower market in Bangkok. (45mins from airport)

Phone: +66-2623-9287 direct line

If you decide to stay here, make sure you have a map in Thai, for some reasons taxi drivers have a hard time finding this place but mine didn't. It's on a one-way street which might be why.

It's family run...2 sons, 1 mother. IF you plan to have late nights, check what their policy is.

valtor Feb 4th, 2006 03:38 AM

We stayed at Asia and it was good, clean, big, very good location. ~ 35 $ / double room, including breakfast buffet. The famous Cabaret is also in this hotel.

fuzzylogic Feb 4th, 2006 04:27 AM

You can stay in BKK for a lot less than $30US and still get your own bathroom and fan or a/c. I disagree with oceania - if you wanted to stay at a hostel for 2 weeks then I don't think you'd find it uncomfortable. But then you won't be, I guess, given your other questions.

I'd recommend the New Siam in a lane off Pra Athit in Banglamphu. Cost c. $12. There is also New Siam II - a bit more upmarket. They have a website - try google, or check out www.travelfish.org.

As for Phuket and Pattaya - spent a lot of time in Thailand but have never been to either of them so can't help. What makes you want to go there?

Happy travels.

simpsonc510 Feb 4th, 2006 04:37 AM

For your trips to Phuket and Pattaya, it is possible to make all of those reservations when you arrive in BKK. We reserved our flights and rooms for a trip to Chiang Mai the day before we wanted to go! You don't pay anymore for tickets by waiting, so no need to plan ahead very far in advance. It allows flexibility in your travel plans.
Carol

dopplehouse Feb 5th, 2006 06:01 AM

Thanks Eurotraveller - I leave in two weeks and will be travelling solo; I'll definitely check out Suk 11.

bgough Feb 8th, 2006 08:35 PM

Thanks to everyone that replied, sorry it took so long to reply, but it has been a busy week here, also thanks to the individual who recommended the New Siam guesthouse, looks like a nice place. Also to the individual who asked why I was thinking on going to Phuket, well more then anything I am just looking to maybe find some beach local to relax at for a few days.

MaryW Feb 8th, 2006 11:33 PM

Suk 11 has a very good reputation and I heard this week that Accor are going to open 2 new Ibis hotels in Bangkok - one near Pratunam and the other further out (can't quite remember where) - reputed to be under $30 aust. so very cheap. Ibis is the bottom of the Accor run but still fine.

IsisMnroe Feb 9th, 2006 02:24 AM

If you like kitsch and collectibles, you might like the Suk 11. It has an atmospheric lobby and hallways; and for two people $17 for one very basic room without t.v., king size bed and private bathroom with hot water. There is no elevator and has common area for t.v. and refrigerator and laundry room. Breakfast is included of banana bread, croissants, payaya, pineapple, watermelon and coffee. Breakfast is in the lobby area. It's across the street from the Ambassador Hotel and close to the skytrain, Nana station.

The Patumwan House studio (serviced with daily cleaning) with outside balcony is $35 a night. It's less for a studio without a window. It's near the skytrain National stadium and walking distance to MBK and Siam Paragon.

If you are on a budget, I'd recommend Suk 11 as breakfast is included. We saw couples and families that stay there.

For a Suk 11 ensuite with private bathroom (single) it's about $14 a night. Definitely book ahead of time.

You could also plan to split your time to stay in a different area in Bangkok and the poster above who recommended New Siam II is a good idea, too. It has private bathroom and T.V. Have not stayed there but saw the room. It's located in the Banglamphu area but no where near the skytrain.

I prefer hotels close to the skytrain.

IsisMnroe Feb 9th, 2006 04:04 AM

The Patumwan studio facing inside the building does have a window looking toward a courtyard but it's difficult to see the sky.

HOMEWARD Feb 9th, 2006 06:50 PM

I am a single woman planning a return trip by myself to Bangkok, I lived there as a child. Would you recommend the above rooms for a single female traveler? Any other suggestions, dining, shopping, I am all set on sights, but the rest I'm about 34 years outdated. thanks

Guenmai Feb 9th, 2006 06:59 PM

Great that the IBIS is coming to Bangkok!!! I've stayed at Accor hotels in Europe,West Africa, and Asia and they are quite decent. They also bought out Motel 6 here in the States. By the way, the Chateau de Bangkok is an Accor hotel which I got in Aug 2004 for 1500 Baht a night for a junior suite with kitchenette. It was a very nice place. And there was a laundry room,restaurants, and a pool,too. Happy Travels!

Kathie Feb 9th, 2006 07:50 PM

Homeward, you've posted questions on many other people's threads. Go to the top of the page and click on "post a new topic" and ask your questions. You'll get more responses to your specific questions. Make sure you give it a title that lets people know what you want like "Return to Bangkok after 34 years?"

HOMEWARD Feb 10th, 2006 04:36 PM

Thank you very much Kathie, I am new to this, can you tell lol, and didn't know how this all worked.

rikivered Feb 12th, 2006 01:03 PM

stayed (solo traveler) in NewSiamII in dec. 2005. nice, clean & safe place. no skytrain, but river boat is close by.

Anikarma Apr 16th, 2006 09:03 PM

I would like to know more about the patumwan house. Can the 2 bedroom fit 5 adults? Is the area safe for 5 ladies to walk around at night like coming back around 12 am? Can anyone who stayed there post pictures for me other than the one I can see in Carol's webby? Thanks.