Reload this Page >

A fantastic holiday

Search

A fantastic holiday

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 10:08 PM
Margitte

A fantastic holiday

I have just returned from one of the best holiday's of my life - Vietnam. It has to be the best kept secret of this (and last) century. I was not sure what to expect when I flew into Hanoi four weeks ago. I was traveling alone and had not been to many Asian countries before this, except for a stop-over in Bankok some four years ago. What possessed me to go to Vietnam? Adventure, looking for something new and different I suppose. Vietnam is not only a beautiful country but the people are just wonderful. Although I booked my tour with an Australian company (Griswalds? yes, that's their name alright) all their guides were local Vietnamese people who could not have been more helpful and professional. I just had to share this with you all as I feel now that I have discovered the Vietnam you cannot read about or hear or see on the tube. I plan to go back next year and this time I will be taking my sister along. If you're thinking of going ... go! You'll love it!

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 10:12 PM
Marilyn

Thanks Margitte for posting this. We have been to Thailand and Cambodia (but not all over) and have begun telling our friends that we think we're becoming Southeast Asia junkies. Vietnam and Laos are definitely on our list for next trips.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 12:58 AM
xxx

Has anyone else noticed how much the Griswalds and Kangaroo Cafe have been mentioned lately?

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 01:31 AM
wendell

Yes, it quite suspicious that "Margitte" has never posted any questions or responses here before, then suddenly appears out of the blue gushing about what a fantastic holiday she's had. I think she's full of it.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 01:56 AM
Cindy

I have no idea what Margitte is talking about. I've just return from an 20 day trip to VN myself. My experience is completely the opposite. I left the country 23 yrs ago and nothing has changed since except more motocycles and people are more greedy. Every where we went people were out to rip us off. The cities are dirty and polluted. The tourist attractions such as the emperor's tombs were dirty and unkept. All the entrance fees are at least 5 times more expensive for foreigners thant he locals and this includes the hotels.<BR><BR>Needless to say, you are expected to get ripped off as a foreigner. So, beware.<BR>

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 04:48 AM
xxx

My family visited Vietnam in April of this year, and we had a fantastic vacation. We travelled independently, and found people to be very friendly and helpful. We also were travelling with our young children, who received lots of attention, smiles, and kisses from Vietnamese on the streets, in restaurants, etc.<BR>With respect to the difference in fees for foreigners and Vietnamese citizens, this is the case in many countries. As an American who has an income many times that of the average Vietnamese, and who obviously can afford to travel internationally, I don't have a problem with this. Even paying the "foreigner" entrance fees, Vietnam is very inexpensive.<BR>It is a beautiful country and we found the people to be very welcoming. Yes, many vendors are aggressive, but they have to make a living.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 06:04 AM
xxx

I don't doubt that Vietnam really is a great place to visit! In fact, I hope to go next year. I think Margitte (or whoever she is) works for the Griswalds/Kangaroo Cafe or has some connection. There have been several posts like this lately where someone gushes about Vietnam, doesn't ask any questions and mentions this company. It sounds fishy to me.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Susie

I have been e-mailing Griswalds for the past few weeks to set up a 2 week private tour for next October. They have been most helpful in accomodating me every time I change my mind about where I want to go and what I want to see. Why is it so hard for some people to believe that are ectually good businesses out there who are not trying to rip off their customers? I have looked at other companies who offer the same type of tours and Griswalds' prices are about the same and seem fair.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 02:42 PM
Margitte

I admit I am new to these group forums and I was not aware that they are used only for asking questions and giving responses. Excuse me. I was also unaware that mentioning a tour company's name was an act of gratuitous promotion, but I wasn't counting the number of times this company's name has appeared on this site. So just so I get the rules right for next time: Only post if you have a question or reply. No mentioning tour company names. No free expression of one's holiday experiences. What next?

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Susie

Margitte-<BR>I like your slightly sarcastic reply. Some people on these boards need to get a life. They enjoy being negative and trashing anyone who has positive things to say. I'm not aware of there being any rules as to what you can or cannot say. I'm interested in your comments. If the blowhards aren't they can find another forum to go gripe on. I've received great travel tips from posters to Fodors forums over the years.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 01:13 AM
xxx

Sorry, Margitte! I'm glad to hear you're a real person posting about your experiences. I didn't mean to be negative, sorry, but your first post was so much like several other posts that have appeared lately that sound like advertisements. I'm not trying to tell people what to post, I just wanted to know if it was for real or not. I don't care if people post ads, I just want to know that's what it is! BTW, I plan on going to VN soon and guess I'll consider using the Griswalds!

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Susie

For Margitte:<BR>Please contact me directly about your experiences with Griswalds. I'm trying to set up a trip with them for next year and want to hear more about your experiences. The e-mail showing for you doesn't work.<BR>Susie [email protected]

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Maureen Murphy

This Fodors is interesting. I am new to Bulletin Boards and placed my first posting this week on this website. It was instantly taken off (by fodors). I spoke of a trip I had just taken for 22 days to China with China Focus. I guess they thought I was too promoting. After reading these few reviews of Vietnam, I first wanted to go but now I think I will sign off and go back to my REAL life. I think there are a lot of folks out there that literally spend hours a day on-line. I'm happy for them to have others to communicate with....but it's time to fix supper!!!!