Add extra day before tour for jet lag?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2009, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be flying from LAX to Beijing to join a Viking River Cruises tour. Although our flights have not yet been determined, it looks like we will be beginning our land excursions the morning after we arrive. I have some concerns about jet lag after crossing all those time zones

We can arrange to arrive a day earlier, which sounds like it might be a good idea, giving us a bit more time to recuperate. This would involve a fee of $100 per person, plus the extra night at the hotel.

If you've flown this route before, could you give me your opinion as to whether or not it would be worth it or necessary? BTW we're a foursome aged 59 - 65.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 10:38 AM

That will be the best money you have ever spent. Living thru very long international flight to get off the plane and into a bus for a city tour is not for me. On the two times we took group tours we went several days earlier to get over the jet lag and the long flights. We were the only people who did that for our China tour, but friends we made on that tour have gone early for every tour since then. I applaud the people who do not need a day(s) rest before the tour, but for us it make a huge difference.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 12:16 PM

If your flights are very delayed, you'll also be glad you had the extra day...
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 02:45 PM

Good idea.

In the afternoon on your first day it will be difficult to stay awake.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 05:34 PM

OH, I agree. Having had one too many "near misses" due to bad weather or equipment delaying my flights, I now build in an extra day before any tour. You can arrange to have a private tour that day or just take your guide book and wander the streets. It really takes the stress and fatigue out of traveling. May I also suggest packing light so that u can take your bag on the plane. We had a friend who's suitcase was lost for an entire week. She smelled pretty rank by day 7.
We usually can get one or two washes done while we travel, and I always buy shirts and gripe that I have overpacked!
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 07:05 PM

There are so many things to do and see in Beijing that another day there is certainly not going to be wasted. I assume your tour is going to include some highlights of Beijing, but if not, then all the more reason to go early, and if so, then you can see something which is not included in your tour. I also agree that a day to get your bearings before starting off on a tour is a good idea.

I am curious as to why there is a US$100 charge per person for arriving early, are they going to offer you some activities if you arrive early? If not, couldn’t you just arrange for your own hotel and arrive early on your own? You might consider coming several days early and really spending time in the city.

It appears from your other post that you may be arranging flights on your own; if that is the case you might fly into Hong Kong first and see that for a few days. You may find this a better flight routing as there are a few more non-stop options from LAX to Hong Kong than to Beijing. (If you want or have miles, you can even fly AA on code share flights non-stop from LAX into Hong Kong and out of Shanghai back to LAX.) This would give you a chance to recover from jet lag, and Hong Kong is an extremely easy city to do on your own, plus it’s lovely and there is lots to see and do (I am prejudiced, I live here.) You can then fly up to Beijing to join your tour, there are abut a dozen non-stop flights daily.
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 07:43 AM

I would do it. I wish I'd gone a day early on my trip to Australia (getting up and out early the next day was not fun) and plan to do it when I go to Thailand.

I think the $100 charge is probably for an adminstration fee from the tour company for a change in the air dates.