Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

9 nights in Thailand - Bangkok & Phuket & ??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 01:29 AM
meira

I have 9 nights. 2 nights Bangkok (after 11 hours flight), 4 nights Phuket (flying over), 3 nights Bangkok again (by plane again). Should I fly to Chaing Mai, is it worth another plane-ride or should I just rest the 4 nights in Phuket (I am over 52 going with husband).<BR>

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 04:37 AM
Jerry

Just returned from Thailand. Recomend not spending more than 4 days in any one of those cities. All are interesting enough but not for more than four days.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Dianne

There are many day trips from Bangkok and Phuket that will keep you busy and entertained. Hotel tour desks will have all the information. Check out a guidebook before you go so you have some idea which places will interest you.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 06:55 AM
Kathie

I wouldn't add another city to my itinerary. Remember that every time you fly, you'll lose most of a day going to and from airports and waiting around in an airport. There is plenty to do in those places to keep you busy.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Rheianne

I would definitely recommend a visit to Chiang Mai for at least 2 full days of sightseeing. We did a 13 day trip, visiting 4 separate locations within the country, and thought it was the perfect itinerary. <BR><BR>Chiang Mai is a lovely city and the city, people and surrounding environs have a completely different climate, atmosphere and personality from Bangkok and Phuket. It may have been one of my favorite parts of the trip.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 12:02 PM
ryan

hile in Phuket, you might want to try Baan Rim Paa restaurant in the hills north of Patong. It is a really nice restaurant with a great Thai menu. <BR><BR>Also, while in Phuket, definately plan a day trip to the Phi Phi Islands. Several company's run speed-boat trips. It is a really fun way to spend a day.<BR><BR>While you might be tempted to take a "Thai long-boat" tour to Phuket, let me warn you that the diesal fumes are pretty nasty <BR>

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 08:34 AM
meira

Thanks everybody. I am still in a maze here. If I go up north, I have to take a vaccine, so I have to decide before leaving for Thailand. Also, my other half is not that keen about taking another flight within those 9 nights we have. Still have time to decide. Thanks all!

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Morgan

You could of course head to the beaches south of Bangkok around Cha Am an Hua Hin. You can have beach plus tours to national parks, fruit plantations, river cruises etc which might be quite relaxing. There are Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton and many other hotels plus cheaper hotels and guesthouses. For your return to Bangkok it's just a couple of hours by road or 30 minutes by air, might be the solution instead of going up north. These are mainly Thai resorts and tend not to have the 'in your face' tourism of many other places.