Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > 8 hour layover--BKK in the middle of the night

8 hour layover--BKK in the middle of the night

Mar 17th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

8 hour layover--BKK in the middle of the night

My friend and I have an 8 hour layover on our way to Bali from Seoul. We arrive in BKK at 1230 am and depart that morning at 850 am. We don't mind foregoing sleep if it means we can check out some sights, especially if they involve really good food. Is there anything we can do in that time period? A night market perhaps? Or does the city shut down? Thanks.
Mar 17th, 2007, 10:00 PM

I'm Thai and I visited Thailand yearly from 2000-2002. IMO, that really isn't the most ideal hours to see sights and hang out. Most places that stay open that late are clubs in the darker and seedier parts of Bangkok. I haven't been to Bangkok in awhile, but you may find a night market open on Patpong Street. There's lots of food vendors and clubs in that area and many foreigners tend to hang out there as well. But, that area is well known for being a prostitution hangout. But, I've been there a few times at night and as long as you use some common sense and stay in well lighted areas with lots of people, it will be a decent place to hang out.
Mar 18th, 2007, 10:16 AM

i you go outside i believe you will have to pay a 700B fee for departure...if you stay inside the airport no fee will apply...

personally i would not leave the airport...

nothing of any interest would be open other than bars and maybe a few vendors on the streets like at patpong as mentioned above...
Mar 18th, 2007, 10:40 AM

That's right I forgot about the departure tax. Back in 2002 it was 500 baht which is about $12

If it's indeed 700 baht now, that tax would be around $21

Again, it really depends if spending that much money plus the cost of transportation is really worth it for that time frame. If you did choose to leave the airport, you would have no more than 4-4 1/2 hours since I would recommend getting back to 5:30 or 6am.

Search this Thread