Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   8 days in India (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/8-days-in-india-950053/)

maxonte Sep 11th, 2012 04:17 AM

8 days in India

Hi all!

I will be in India for 8 days and I am trying to plan an itinerary. I will fly in Delhi and out from Mumbay.

So far, the plan is:
3 days in Delhi
2 days in Agra
2 days in Jaipur
1 day in Mumbay.

Does it make sense to include Udaipur in this schedule or it is going to be to tight? If yes, how should I proceed?
Thanks!

MmePerdu Sep 11th, 2012 04:39 AM

For just 8 days I think you're on the right track with the basic Golden Triangle route (Delhi, Agra, Jaipur). India is a place where less can be more and it makes no sense to try to squeeze in extra stops. If you like it you'll be back and will realize then that you need lots of time for the leisurely pace India deserves. The beauty is in the details and when you get the sense of a slower pace then it's little things, in my experience, that become the big memories rather than monuments.

Kathie Sep 11th, 2012 05:32 AM

Is there a reason you are spending one day in Mumbai? In general, I think one day in a place (which usually ends up being one night given all the travel time)) is worthless.

Craig Sep 11th, 2012 05:33 AM

Sounds like a reasonable plan. Follow the above poster's advice and save Udaipur for another trip.

Jaya Sep 11th, 2012 07:01 AM

Just a note: It's "Mumbai" never "Mumbay" (at least not in India).

maxonte Sep 11th, 2012 08:33 AM

You are right about the one night stay, I don't like it either... however, we have to fly out from Mumbai as we are taking a round the world trip and we will move to the next destination (Bangkok)...

So, the option were to fly from Jaipur to Mumbai and then to continue the trip to Bangkok, or to spend one night in Mumbai before leaving India...
another option would have been to replace Mumbai with Udaipur, but I guess you were right again, maybe less will be more and we will just take it easy on the Golden Triangle route.. and come back for more another time...

Kathie Sep 11th, 2012 08:55 AM

I see, that makes sense to fly to Mumbai from Jaipur to continue your around the world flights.

rhkkmk Sep 11th, 2012 01:25 PM

forget udaipur, but save it for next time..

JerryS Sep 11th, 2012 02:54 PM

Maxonte. My wife and i also took a round the world trip in 2006 and spent 17 days in India. It was a most memorable part of our journey.
Coincidentally, we, too, flew to Mumbai on our way to Bangkok. However, we chose to spend a few nights there. Very worthwhile.
If you need any help in planning your stay in India, it will well worth your while to contact VP Singh, Legendsandpalaces.com. He is a fantastic Guide and a wonderful and interesting gentleman.
Have a great trip.
Are you keeping a blog? If so, please give us the web information so that we may follow you on your trip.

fineluxury Sep 13th, 2012 02:31 PM

All great tips! I agree with MmePerdu about the beauty being in the details. I was there for 3 weeks with travcoa.com last year. Granted, it was a very different kind of trip than you're going on, but some of the best parts of the experience were the times when we could wander on our own, stop and explore where we wanted.
Have a great trip!