8.5 Days in Vietnam

Search

8.5 Days in Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2016, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8.5 Days in Vietnam

I am trying to plan an 8.5 day trip to Vietnam. As it stands with this itinerary, Ho Chi Minh gets the short end of the stick. This was do to some reading of it being a little boring, and also I have been to many large asian cities.

If I fit in all three big cities, this is what I've come up with:

Day 1
Hanoi

Day 2
Hanoi

Day 3
Hanoi
DRIVE to Ha Long Bay (4pm)

Day 4
Ha Long Bay

Day 5
FLIGHT to Hoi An (8am)
Hoi An

Day 6
Hoi An

Day 7
Hoi An
FLIGHT to Ho Chi Minh (9pm)

Day 8
Ho Chi Minh

Day 9
Ho Chi Minh
FLIGHT home (5pm)

Does this look doable? Any suggested adjustments? I am open to cutting one of the cities out as well (I have yet to buy any tickets).
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

By the way, I am open to complete other suggestions for the time we have there. We have 8.5 days of actual on the ground time, and that cannot be changed. So I am trying to use the time as best as possible.
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 08:45 AM

I don't think it is doable. It takes 4-5 hours to drive between Hanoi and Halong and most, if not all, cruises depart around mid day, so I don't see how you could get on a cruise at 8-9pm. Again, most cruises return around mid day so it would be impossible to get back to Hanoi for an 8 am flight. It may be possible to get a flight to Da Nang from Haiphong but even that is a couple of hours from Halong.

I would cut out one destination but which one largely depends on your interests. People seem to love or hate HCMC, personally I love it and have spent a lot of time there and certainly would not describe it as boring. Hanoi has arguably got more to see in terms of tourist sights and if it were me, I would split my time maybe 3 nights Saigon and 5 nights Hanoi with possibly a side trip for a night or two from Hanoi - Ninh Binh or Mai Chau immediately Spring to mind although there is plenty to see in both places without leaving the cities.

Hoi An is quaint, pretty and heaving with tourists. It has to be reached via a flight to Danang, although it is not far. It does have beaches close by if that interests you but they are not great.

Alternatively, you could head to Hanoi and include somewhere like Sapa or Saigon and the Mekong delta. What time of year are you planning on going? The weather could have big inline external on your decision.
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

We will be on the ground in Vietnam from Oct 22nd to Oct 30th.
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

I've also thought about just doing a few days in either Hanoi OR HCMC and then spending the rest of the time relaxing in Hoi An. It's not like I will never come back.

I prefer to really do less places, rather than quickly doing a bunch. An excuse to come back.

At the same time, I don't want to squander my time because I planned too many days in the wrong city.
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 09:28 AM

As crellston says, you are trying to do too much. I'd start by cutting Halong Bay. And I think your idea of Hanoi OR HCMC is a good one. VN is a place where slowing down and enjoying makes more sense than rushing around and seeing nothing.
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 09:29 AM

And will you have to contend with jet lag? Where are you flying from?
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Yah, I am flying from the US, and I get in 10PM the day before my itinerary starts.

I was just getting the feeling Halong Bay is a must do, which is why it is there.
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 10:50 AM

People either love or hate Halong Bay. It's at least 6 hours boring drive from Hanoi - each way - so a big question for you is whether you want to spend most of two days getting to and from Halong Bay? There are also lots of complaints about how crowded it is and how much trash is in the water. For such a short trip, I'd cut it.
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 11:06 AM

From a weather perspective, October is a great time for the north - Hanoi, Halong, Sapa etc. but a terrible for Central Vietnam, Hoi An etc. which gets lots of rainfall and storms. I would write off Hoi An at that time of year.

In the south the weather will be moving into the dry season so you could get some decent weather in HCMC.

I am not a fan of Halong Bay but, as you say, it is busy for a reason. Bai Tu Long Bay is a close by and a quieter alternative. I would not describe Halong as a "must do"
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Yikes, thanks for pointing that out. I would say Hoi An is a no go at that point, half the reason I wanted to go was beach resorts. I am getting really tempted to just call it a day and spend the week in north Vietnam.
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 12:40 PM

At that time of the year, I think it makes sense to stick to the north. Hanoi has lots to do and see, and there are various day trips outside the city.