Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Help . . . Anyone - Laundromats in India?

Old May 1st, 2014, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Community,

I am trying to identify laundromats in a number of cities in India. Can anyone help?

I am a Relocation Manager for a large multinational company based in the U.S. We have some executives and their families (spouses, partners, kids, etc.) moving to quite a few cities around the world later on this year. It is part of my job to help the families sort out some details.

Self-service laundromats are the first thing on my "to-do" list. I need to identify:

1) Self-service or coin-operated laundromats only (where they can wash/dry their clothes themselves).
2) Larger machines (and the more the better).
3) 24 hour laundromats (this is preferable but not required - longer hours of operation are better).

Here are my cities:

Mumbai / Calcutta / Delhi / Chennai / Bangalore / Hyderabad / Pune / Ahmadabad / Surat / Kanpur

If anyone in the community has any reliable knowledge about any laundromats in any of those cities, please let me know. It would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Samantha
Old May 1st, 2014, 08:40 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
After several long visits in India, I've never encountered laundromats. The tradition in the country is to have dhobi wallahs, laundrymen, do laundry. It's inexpensive and people who don't do their own laundry send it out to have the dhobis do it. So I think your search for laundromats will be fruitless, a western thing, not Indian.
Old May 1st, 2014, 03:36 PM

When I traveled in India, a maid did my laundry daily at the place we stayed at. You can find a neighborhood business that accepts laundry by the pound. Very cheap.
Old May 1st, 2014, 04:30 PM

I've also spent a lot of time in India, and never noticed a laundromat. Labor is so cheap, Everywhere has dhobi wallahs are all over. If I recall, it usually runs about $1-$3 per kilo.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 06:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shouldn't you have an opposite number in India who can answer this type of question? If you don't have one, you should get one, pronto. I certainly wouldn't want someone who has to ask basic questions on a travel forum handling my relo!

[Assuming this new poster isn't a troll, which is surely more likely.]
Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:06 PM

The concept of a coin operated laundromat does not exist in urban India.There are dry-cleaners.Get your clients to buy washing machines with dryers,doesn't cost much.
The laundromats in India are on the industrial scale,catering to hotels and serviced apartments.

The Dhobie's 'itch'.They'll ruin your clothes.
Old May 6th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your replies/responses. My team and I appreciate your comments & suggestions. This will help us advise the families we are supporting in their respective moves later in the year.

I can assure you that I (nor anyone on my team) is a "troll." I personally find the comment/suggestion offensive. Travel forums (by definition) are where folks with "local knowledge" share it with those seeking "local knowledge."

I speak for my team when I say we are appreciative of your suggestions - now and as we move on to our other non-Indian cities where our companies is relocating employees and their families.

Samantha
Old May 6th, 2014, 09:17 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Samantha, while I didn't think you were a troll, it may have been the way the question was asked that gave that impression. Since, as far as any of us knows, laundromats don't exist in India, the detail which you asked for regarding them sounded a bit over the top. You might simply have asked something like "tell me how laundry is done by westerners in India" thus not making either faulty assumptions or appearing to "pull our legs". You can always ask for more specifics at a later point in the discussion. Don't be offended, just learn to ask an appropriate question. This is a pretty unforgiving forum in that regard, but the information people have here is worth it.
Old May 6th, 2014, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad to hear that you're not a troll, but I still say that you - and more to the point the employees going there - should have better support IN India. I have been sent on assignment by a (very) large multinational company, and there is no way the person handling assignees in my country would have been reduced to asking basic questions on a travel forum. The HR people on the receiving end provided the local information (and lots of it). Fodors is far more a place for people traveling rather than relocating, there are other forums for expats. I still have trouble understanding why a "Relocation Manager" actually needed to ask that question here.