Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   7 day Assam trip in April (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/7-day-assam-trip-in-april-1705161/)

solitaire11 Feb 25th, 2022 11:31 AM

7 day Assam trip in April

Hi there

I have always relied on this forum for great suggestions. I am planning a trip with my family (husband and two daughters - ages 8 and 11), parents and in-laws to Assam in early April. We will arrive and depart out of Guwahati. We would love some advice on how to plan our trip. We definitely want to do Kaziranga, Majuli,and Jorhat....but struggling to figure out where to start. Are there recommended tour operators to help us with accommodations and travel between locations. Also, what is the latest situation on the ground now with regards to Covid. Thank you in advance!

vp_singh Mar 6th, 2022 08:24 PM

I can add a small input to your proposed travels to Assam.

a. The first thing that comes to my mind is the Assam Tea! We love it though my personal preference is for Darjeeling!! While at Dibrugarh, I would like to stay at the Mancotta Chang Bungalow, a structure built on stilts, to keep out the unwanted creatures. It is a tea garden and you can visit the estate as well as the tea processing factory. At the time of your visit they will be plucking the second flush and the estate would be humming with activity. There is a tribal village close by and a visit would be interesting. Three nights shall be fine.

b. About 6 hours from Dibrugarh is the Kaziranga NP. A stay at Diphlu River Lodge adds to the charm of this visit.

c. From Kaziranga, you may drive to Nemati Ghat (3 hours), near Jorhat, and take a ferry to Majuli island.

d. Take the ferry back to Jorhat and drive to Mon in Nagaland (6-7hrs). There are several good hotels in Jorhat. At Mon it could be the Teihpha Cottage. Mon is home to the Koyak tribe, well-known for wood craft and tattooed faces. From Mon it is quite possible to visit Lungwa village which is right on the Burmese border.

e. From Mon back to Dibrugarh A/port / 6hours.

Happy travels!

PS: Covid is now well under control. No worries on that account. There are no restrictions imposed on travellers who have got the regular two-dose vaccination. I guess, very soon the commercial flights will open. Keep an eye for Air India, now by the Tatas!

vigneshwarthrive7639 Apr 12th, 2022 04:55 PM

Assam is a state in the northeastern region of India. It is surrounded by Bangladesh, Bhutan, and Nepal. These are some must-visit places in Assam.

1) Kaziranga National Park: Kaziranga National Park is one of the best places to visit in Assam. It was established in 1905 and is home to two-thirds of the world’s one-horned rhinoceros population.

2) Dibru Saikhowa National Park: Dibru Saikhowa National Park was established in 1983 and it covers an area of about 1350 square kilometers on both banks of the Brahmaputra River which flows through