5 Must See Resorts/Sites

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 10:56 AM
Lou

5 Must See Resorts/Sites

We are planning a trip to Asia and have about two weeks. We have an option to go to any of four or five locations. We have two well traveled kids(6 & 8) and would enjoy some nice beach resorts as well as great sight seeing. I understand some 5 star resorts in Asia can be very inexpensive. The options are Bali, Bandar Seri Begawan, Bangkok, Cebu, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Jakarta, Kota Kinabalu, Kuala Lumpur, Kuching, Langkawi, Medan, Penang, Phnom Penh, Surabaya, Yangon. Any recommendations?

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 04:56 PM
Kathie

In two weeks, personally I wouldn't go to more than three places. Otherwise you'll lose a lot of time traveling. Generally when you change locations, it'll take up most of a day.

You have an odd assortment of choices. Some I'd rule out immediately - Jakarta and Surabaya are the most problematic cities in Indonesia, I'd recommend Bali as a place you'd all be likely to enjoy. I love Bangkok, and it would be a nice contrast with Bali - but it is a BIG city, so only go if you want to do city things. You didn't list Singapore, but it makes a nice stop, and there is lots to do for families. There are also many lovely beach resorts in Thailand, as well as some in Malaysia that I like better then Penang (Kuantan in Malaysia, Phuket are in Thailand or Hua Hin/Cha Am). I have heard good things about Langkawi, but haven't been there.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 03:44 AM
Aarti

Hi. Im living in Indonesia and I thought I might be able to give you a few 'tips'. Bali is definitely a good option. The place is bustling with life-beach activity, shopping, etc. A fun place for kids too. You might want to check out 'koh samui' in thailand. I want there last year and had a great time. Its not so commercial but has a couple of good resorts and beaches. Singapore is worth a halt. Im living in Jakarta, and though the city is nice, contrary to what you see on tv, I wont recommend it unless you know someone to take you around.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 07:26 PM
bob

your time is short and the kids will mind the heat and so will you...
i would do bali, singapore and bangkok or bangkok, hua hin (beach)and maybe chaing mai (mountains and cooler)..you waste so much time travelling---one country makes more sense...

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 07:20 PM
Shelley Dorman

I have to agree with some other responders about Koh Samui, an island off the east coast of Thailand. I stayed at a beach called Bo Phut. It was gorgeous, quiet, delicious seafood, great ocean swimming, sunning, and a walk or short ride away from a small town area with restaurants and little shops selling sarongs and other fun things. And there's a view of the Big Buddha. I wouldn't recommend Bangkok so much. I don't think there's much to do with children. I would choose Chiang Mai, Thailand, over Bangkok. From your list, I've also been to Ho Chi Minh and Hanoi. I personally preferred central Vietnam to these big cities. Is there any way you could fly into Hoi An? It is so beautiful. If I were 6 or 8 or even 27, as I am, I would prefer to ride a bike through the town of Hoi An, than a taxi through Hanoi. It's on a smaller scale and safe to ride a bike and you could even spend hours riding outside of town. There's great shopping too. I've also been to Phnom Penh in Cambodia. Cambodia was one of the highlights of my trip through Asia, but, again I'm not sure it's for 6-8 year olds. It's extremely undeveloped. Also, there's not as much to "do" in Phnom Penh as in Siem Reap where you could see Angkor Wat. I would have to agree with the person who wrote they would probably stick to Thailand. Bali sounds great to me too!