Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > 5-day regional Hokkaido train passes for 9000 yen??
Notices

5-day regional Hokkaido train passes for 9000 yen??

Aug 16th, 2002, 02:56 AM
Kat

5-day regional Hokkaido train passes for 9000 yen??

Tell me if I've been only dreaming -- I've heard about these 5-day Hokkaido-only train passes (e.g. Sapporo + Central Hokkaido : 9000 yen for 5 days). I've searched the web but couldn't find any info on these. Can I purchase these in Japan? Or do I have to get them outside Japan just like the JR passes? We'll be taking off next Tuesday - is it impossible to get those in time now?

Thanks!
Kat

Aug 16th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Florence

Bonjour Kat,

I hope you haven't been dreaming and that you'll find this wonderful deal. All I've found is this:

Hokkaido rail pass at
http://www.jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/

and "Do-to Free Kippu (only 13,250) to ride JR in Eastern Hokkaido as much as you like to for 7 days." at http://www.xene.net/english/hok_01.htm

Both those passes can be bought in Japan.

Sep 1st, 2002, 10:19 PM
Kat

So I haven't been dreaming!!
We just came back from Japan -- couldn't find that 9000 yen for 5 days thing, but we saw this leaflet at Sapporo airport (on the way to the JR train platform) about a 4-day pass for 5200 yen!!

It includes JR stops at Sapporo, Asahikawa, Biei and Furano. It lets you take even the Limited Express trains (e.g. from Sapporo to Asahikawa), which is a great bargain -- one way from Sapporo to Asahikawa is already 4800 yen.

But if you're like us, staying at Shinsapporo and heading towards Sounkyo (the gorge), it might be worthwhile to get a JR pass with more coverage, since those passes would let you get on JR buses as well, like those that take you from Asahikawa (or Kamikawa) to Sounkyo.

Note: our 4-day pass is not valid for stops in between the stations I just mentioned. That is, you'll have to pay if you get off anywhere between Sapporo and Asahikawa.

Sep 1st, 2002, 10:23 PM
Kat

Oh one more thing -- (and this is really great)

My 4-day pass even lets us on the Norocco little train, which runs from Asahikawa (or Biei) to Furano, making a special stop right in front of Tomita farm - perfect for lavender season.

And to top that, (no I can't believe it either) the pass is even valid on the bus tours around Biei.

The tours should be over for this year, but I hope folks can take advantage of this next season!

Search this Thread