Reload this Page >

4D/3N in Bangkok - any recommendation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 07:51 AM
Gina Tan

Will be spending 4 days in Bangkok in May, staying in Pathuwan Princess (near World Trade Centre). Can anybody recommend a good tailor, some good Thai food, spa & massage(Banyan Tree?) & other 'must see' or 'must do'. Thanks alot!

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 11:49 AM
Roz

Hi Gina: <BR> <BR>We were in Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore in February. <BR> <BR>I had some clothes tailored and my husband had a suit and dress shirts made at NEXT Fashion ($100 Cdn. for the suit). They are at 1384 Charoen Krung Road. Telephone: 2344120. The name of the owner is Manoj and he is most obliging. <BR> <BR>We had a number of wonderful meals but the two best were at The Mango Tree, 37 Soi Anumarn Ratchathon (off west end of Surawong Road across from the Tawana Ramada Hotel)(Classical Thai Cuisine). Another was at Himali Cha Cha, 1229/11 Charoen Krung Road (on a side street off New Road, corner of Surawong)(classical Indian cuisine) <BR> <BR>The best massage, in our opinion was at Wat Po. Get there early (around 9.30 a.m.) and have the herbal massage. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip!

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 07:46 PM
Ching

I recommend Spice Market at the Regent Hotel. Excellent thai cuisine, and cheap relative to S'pore prices. Thai-Chinese food at Chinatown is also good. The roadside restaurants there serve great tang-hoon and barbecued crabs. There is a big massage parlour there which charges 200-220b for a 1 hr massage. And Shopping at Sumkumvit Road is actually some 20-30% cheaper than at Patpong! <BR>

Old Apr 19th, 2000, 08:21 AM
Anna

For massage try the Oriental Spa & for Thai food - try Sala Rim Naam. Both are located across the river from the Oriental and next to (almost) the Penninsula.

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 12:12 PM
Joe Cameron

In Bangkok: suggest the Grand Palace (hire a guide inside); ride the river every day and learn the stops; longtail boats up te smaller canals (do 2-3 times); shop in chinatown and the Indian part; and by all means have dinner at Celadon (you conceirge will make your recommendation). Before you fly to Bkk, arrange through your hotel to have a driver and limo meet you at the airport and get you to your hotel. And arrange to have this same service when you depart. The cost should be under $25 each way, and you'll be very glad you did. One nice trip is the Oriental Hotel's boat up the river to the ancient capital (you'll have agreat lunch onboard). Takes the day but it's terrific. Is is too late to change your hotel to a hotel next to the river? I'd suggest Sheraton Royal Orchid, or the new Peninsula across the river (which has been giving terrific discounts). Being by the river makes it so easy to get around - and fun. It gets you away from the fumes (very bad). Let me suggest one thing to avoid: never have a meal on any of the river boats - food is expensive and bad. The Oreintal offers an interetsing dance program with Thai food. The dancers are great, the food is so-so, but it's a good experience. And by all means, use the tuk-tuks as much as possible. But negotiate the prices. The Celadon restaurant is very outstanding, and offers a good cookbook for sale. We found the food in Thailand to be great, but you need to use bottled water without fail. And take a small drug store with you. Have a great trip - it is a fun place.